Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has COVID affected your MAS?

Default Re: Has COVID affected your MAS?

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Mm-hmm ... though the wingsuit looks like a big thrill, it also looks really scary.
    OFF TOPIC ALERT: NMC

One time many years ago I was at the ocean with a bunch of friends. The daredevil of the group proposed we all go jump off the seawall on one side of the harbor entrance, which was a loooong drop into deep water. I was the first one to say, yeah lets do it. When we got to the top, and I looked over, I froze. Everybody else proceeded to jump off, so then I had to as well or else look like a sissy. Well, so I did. It was extremely scary and not fun at all.

I can only imagine how it would feel standing on that precipice with the wingsuit on, looking over the edge.
    The flying looks like great fun, the jumping off, not so much

We now return to your regularly scheduled discussion of MAS.

2. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    OFF TOPIC ALERT: NMC

One time many years ago I was at the ocean with a bunch of friends. The daredevil of the group proposed we all go jump off the seawall on one side of the harbor entrance, which was a loooong drop into deep water. I was the first one to say, yeah lets do it. When we got to the top, and I looked over, I froze. Everybody else proceeded to jump off, so then I had to as well or else look like a sissy. Well, so I did. It was extremely scary and not fun at all.

I can only imagine how it would feel standing on that precipice with the wingsuit on, looking over the edge.
    The flying looks like great fun, the jumping off, not so much

We now return to your regularly scheduled discussion of MAS.
    Sue,
    I would be afraid too but you have to assume anyone with 11 banjos is essentially fearless

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveGinNJ For This Useful Post:

No, I have essentially 2 new mandolins by having them re-fretted, 1 needed fingerboard leveling in the process .
    the playability after that made a real felt improvement.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Haven't read the thread yet, but yes, because of the covid lockdown I bought my first mandolin.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
    Haven't read the thread yet, but yes, because of the covid lockdown I bought my first mandolin.
    Good for you. Welcome. I see you bought a Kentucky KM-250. That was my first decent mando, bought here from the classifieds

I will confess to having thought about buying a resonator banjo on more than one occasion, but have resisted the urge so far. Has anyone studied whether owning a mandolin predisposes one to buying a banjo? It's starting to look like it may be a factor...

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I will confess to having thought about buying a resonator banjo on more than one occasion, but have resisted the urge so far. Has anyone studied whether owning a mandolin predisposes one to buying a banjo? It's starting to look like it may be a factor...
    The mandolin can be considered a "gateway instrument" which can easily lead the unwary to purchase many other types of instrument.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Maybe consider a resonator mandolin first?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Like Daryl, I shifted to caregiver, for my SO, a bit over a year ago and haven’t been home more than a few days since. So pandemic issues, magnified by an immuno-compromised person, and no access to my (excessive numbers) of hobbies, home maintenance or even work. Led to buying cheap mandolins from SGW and Ebay and restoring them as that’s minimally tool-intensive and restful. So there’s more than a dozen, so far all operational, and still looking for more. Plus a baglama and a moon guitar and an electric, restrung for fifths. And a French horn, which is demonstrably much more frustrating and annoying than even a banjo. It’s exiled. Also the situation enabled daily playing for an hour or more, for which I never made the time before.

Of course, if covid stabilizes- it isn’t ever going away - among the other sea changes is probably having to cope with the millions of pandemic pets that are going to be pitched out like discarded teddy bears and some of us may have to start DAS or CAS….

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    The mandolin can be considered a "gateway instrument" which can easily lead the unwary to purchase many other types of instrument.
    100% agree. I believe that there should be a warning sticker on all mandolins stating such. I also believe in a 7 day waiting period for all banjo purchases

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    100% agree. I believe that there should be a warning sticker on all mandolins stating such. I also believe in a 7 day waiting period for all banjo purchases
    this one, ah.............had to meet in the wee hours of morn on a rainy night, behind an old contractor metal building. stories have surfaced that it was possibly carried along on elite military missions for stress release and/or door ram.

6.8 lbs, radius fretboard, evo frets, tunnel 5th string with roller, mac ebony fretboard and headstock veneer, mahogany neck ,pop on/off mahogany burl resonator back (which can store 4 days rations). timber-tronic tone ring. has a special made archtop tone ring that can be changed out in 3 min-if you need to peel paint or chase dogs/people away quickly in an ethical manner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20211111_151920_resized.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	416.7 KB 
ID:	198722

Name:	thumbnail_20211111_152456_resized.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	198723

Name:	thumbnail_20211111_152035_resized.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	198724

Name:	thumbnail_20211111_152522_resized.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	198725

Name:	thumbnail_20211104_021244_resized_2.jpg 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	198726

Name:	thumbnail_20211111_152050_resized_2.jpg 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	198727

Name:	thumbnail_20211123_160921_resized.jpg 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	198728

Name:	thumbnail_20211123_161006-1_resized.jpg 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	198729

Name:	thumbnail_20211123_160921_resized.jpg 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	198728

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post

Of course, if covid stabilizes- it isn’t ever going away - among the other sea changes is probably having to cope with the millions of pandemic pets that are going to be pitched out like discarded teddy bears and some of us may have to start DAS or CAS….
    CAS is already a factor here, I Live on a farm and we have had multiple cats dumped/find their way here. The barn is large, and there is food out all day long, and at last count there were 11 barn cats (none of which did we try to acquire,) which have decided to make their home with us (as in here 90% of the time.) I have no idea how many just come and go, the 11 are pretty much permanent residents.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post

I started out collecting banjos & them moved to guitars & then to mandolins Actually, violin preceded all of them so I s'pose tuning in 5ths was my gateway
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics