Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has COVID affected your MAS?

Default Re: Has COVID affected your MAS?

I sold off a lot of instruments I had acquired over the years - mostly guitars I was no longer playing - in late 2019 and am generally not afflicted by MAS/GAS but I did get a mandocaster a few months ago just for fun.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    I'm in the same boat.
    Purchased a 91' Flatiron, 5 string Gold Tone E-Mando, Northfield octave, a Recording King parlour guitar, and a ukelele bass.

edit to add the guitar.
    Which u-bass did you buy?

Most definitely. It has resulted in a laser focused approach. Have purchased a single instrument that has happily/sadly ended my search for the perfect electric 5 string. 5 String Electric by Sparrow Ukulele in Richmond, VA. Fear not, a new elusive target is certainly hiding in the mist.

I bought my octave about 2 1/2 years ago.
    I love it, definitely no plans to replace it. I'd like to buy a mandolin but the prices are silly at the moment. If I could get someone to throw a mandolin over the wall, that would be nice. I was gifted a little keech banjo which I really like, so no need to look for others.

Occasionally I look through the local classifieds here in the south of France but again the prices are silly. I don't think people really even want to sell, and I've noticed a lot of aggression between buyers at our local secondhand clothes shop, so something is definitely happening. Two or three years ago you should have seen all of the nice things these people were throwing away at the dump!

Just recently I have even been considering Learning to play a Chinese instrument just because I thought they would be available at a price I can afford.
    They’re pretty but no luck there either:
    SoundofMountain.com

So far, the pandemic has limited my selling of spare instruments, rather than buying.

6. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I just bought a banjo, does that count?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

No.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    The proliferation of banjos is a threat to us all!

10. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Guess I'm a double threat, I have two!

It’s not all bad news, for every person that buys a banjo there’s someone who’s kicking the habit.
    And well done Pops, if we all followed your good example and bought five or ten banjos tomorrow then the market would dry up and our kids wouldn’t be tempted into bad behavior.

You do keep the thing down in the basement in a locked cabinet, right?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Guess I'm a double threat, I have two!
    You know, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Playing on the porch

In response to the original subject. Yes.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Blog Entries

COVID has showed me that there are many things more important than not having this or that particular mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    You know, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem ...
    I have played the same 1890 banjo for 40-50 years, I don't think getting a newer one is really a problem. Now mandolins or guitars that may be a problem.

17. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

That's all good and well, I suppose. I was alarmed because you mentioned you have two banjos, double the typically acceptable level often begrudgingly expressed hereabouts. If you think you have your BAS under control, fine. If you think you need help, don't hesitate to ask for it. We're here for you.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I spent way too much money on mandolins last year, but I've always believed in "Better luck next year".
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

That's all good and well, I suppose. I was alarmed because you mentioned you have two banjos, double the typically acceptable level often begrudgingly expressed hereabouts. If you think you have your BAS under control, fine. If you think you need help, don't hesitate to ask for it. We're here for you.
    Thanks JB, but you know how we don't want to admit we have a problem. What problem? I don't have a problem. Well maybe not enough $$ to buy everything I would like, but I think that is a problem for most of us.

21. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    It’s not all bad news, for every person that buys a banjo there’s someone who’s kicking the habit.
    And well done Pops, if we all followed your good example and bought five or ten banjos tomorrow then the market would dry up and our kids wouldn’t be tempted into bad behavior.

You do keep the thing down in the basement in a locked cabinet, right?
    Love the banjo jokes. Keep 'em coming!

well, i had a controlled frenzy buying spree in 2021. i look back at the prev year and realize most were opportune moments to acquire exact instruments i had been lying in wait for some time.

sit down for this..............

11 banjos(fretted and fretless).....................(4 resonators of which 3 can be converted easily into open back)7 open backs(Deering/Reiter/Ome/Bishline/Nechville/SecondlifeBanjo)

4 acoustic guitars(Taylor/Martin)

2 tenor ukes(Kamaka/Koaloha)

3 Beard resonators(DecoPhonic 27/Jerry Douglas Blackbeard/Josh Swift standard)

3 tube amps(65 and 68 Princetons/Tweed Victoria Vicky Verb)

3 electrics(Lincoln Brewster strat/ PRS Mira/PRS thinline 594)

trades and buys, most used, a few new. some exceptional prices because folks had purchased during the early lockdown days and by 2021 were selling off dust collectors or clothes hangers.

i am not on any medication.

there is a dual common denominator in 2021 with all this in that i was looking for many of the exact models/stress relief. Dec 2019-Dec 2020 i was a front line medical worker in a dedicated regional covid hospital(meaning all possible or positive patients from surrounding hospitals came to our facility)-(we had patients presenting with similarity covid complications in winter of 2019 but nobody knew what it was all about until early 2020). early Dec 2020 my parents (90's) called and needed my assistance(mother had a stroke). so i went from the covid environment of long hours, 4 days a month off, 24/7 on call to the parents situation which was long hours, no day off yet, 22/7 availability. out of the fire into the flame-lol. grateful to be able to do everything both parents need right now(but i have learned new ways to say cuss words, broken a lot of dishes(huge stress reliever if you ever need a cheap one).

my thoughts by July 2020 were, "its ok, you are still in control, you can experience these instruments and in time sell off a few(banjos)". unfortunately i really like every one of them that i have acquired. its like 11 new friends, each with a different personality and attitude.

the resonators are just outright fun. i've had a cool weissenborn for a few years and love it, always had a yearning for a "dobro". funny thing is, dobros are like guitars or mandolins. different woods, different shapes, different interior baffles or cones, sound different. imagine that! so after the first one(Deco Phonic Model 27, which is awesome btw), i was salivating for a Jerry Douglas all mahogany Blackbeard. Abbie Gardner of Red Molly plays an embellished version of this model(she's a huge JD fan) having bubinga binding, star inlays, hipshot doubleshot that allows you to go from G to D with a throw of the lever-and stay in tune no matter how many times you use it. unfortunately i could not locate any Beard resonators anywhere-and Beard was about a year out on delivery for most everybody. few weeks passed and one day i was browsing the "other" classifieds here on the Cafe, "and just like that", a Beard Blackbeard JD was for sale. I called/emailed/went outside and was yelling for the guy. It made its way to the parents house. Another amazing Beard and with the solid mahogany and slightly larger E body style, sounded fantastic. Has an LR baggs Nashville pickup also. truth be told, the red bubinga fretboard sold me before i ever touched one. i think they look amazing with that black transparent body and red board.
    now i'm thinking, hummm. i really like the "modern" tone of the Josh Swift models as well. if i had one of those i would have the magic of the Trilogy. and we all know if you have a Trilogy of anything it automatically makes you a better player. Kinda like you "need" three mandolins with different topwoods or at least headstock shapes for different tones(i've used that excuse a time or three while i'm getting the stink eye from across the room).

and wouldn't you know it, "just like that", i found and was not looking for, a Josh Swift satin black ice standard at Gruhns. It has a few things different under the "hood" vs the Blackbeard, different wood(finnish birch-which Beard has used for a long time and knows how), James Dean would appreciate the weathered metal hardware. very different tonal flavor, and wouldn't you know it, the headstock shape is different on each also. proves my point about headstock shapes and i made sure to impress that upon the "boss"(tongue in cheek).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JDBB-Face.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	198691

Name:	JOSH-SWIFT-STANDARD-BLACK-ICE-FACE.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	198692

Name:	thumbnail_20211231_164336-1(2)_resized.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	198695

Name:	JOSH-SWIFT-STANDARD-BLACK-ICE-HS.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	198694

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JDBB-FF.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	198693  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    Clearly. You might want to reconsider that.

Or maybe that helps explain this behavior.

And I was giving pops1 grief about buying one banjo to bring his total to two. ĦAy caramba!

Clearly. You might want to reconsider that.

Or maybe that helps explain this behavior.

And I was giving pops1 grief about buying one banjo to bring his total to two. ĦAy caramba!
    lol. it is a rather peculiar position i find myself having arrived at. it was either the banjos or a wingsuit.................

Way to go Daryl, I will confess I also have a banjo mandolin, but 11 banjos, Whew!! I did learn a long time ago I could build tube amps better than the originals so at least I gave that up. I can tell you why, but I won't derail this thread anymore than it already is.

well, i had a controlled frenzy buying spree in 2021. i look back at the prev year and realize most were opportune moments to acquire exact instruments i had been lying in wait for some time.

sit down for this..............

11 banjos(fretted and fretless).....................(4 resonators of which 3 can be converted easily into open back)7 open backs(Deering/Reiter/Ome/Bishline/Nechville/SecondlifeBanjo)
    Daryl, I am starting a GoFundfMe page to get you the help you need. We'll get you into the best banjo rehab unit there is (given the severity of your case).

28. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

... it was either the banjos or a wingsuit.................
    The wingsuit looks amazing, but I think the banjos are safer.

Blog Entries

... it was either the banjos or a wingsuit.................
    Mm-hmm ... I'm not completely buying into the logic there. Surely there were options between those two choices. And though the wingsuit looks like a big thrill, it also looks really scary. At least with a banjo (and/or ten more), you can sit in the rocking chair on your porch and enjoy a session of music-making with no fear of death or injury, just an ice-cold lemonade or sweet tea in the summer and a mug of hot cocoa in the winter. And nothing to fear but the retaliation of irked neighbors, who can usually be mollified by a drink or two.

31. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: