Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a C2 chord?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is a C2 chord?

I vote for leaving out all thirds! Do I hear a second for the motion?
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

If you find a chord book, even a guitar one, with a C2 in it, just post a picture of the fingering.

If you're writing a chart, then I'd ask (plead) that if you want a Cadd9 or a Csus2 or even a Cadd2, PLEASE write the dang thing out! (I'm sure we could crowd-fund a new box of pencils if the extra letters will create hardship )
    2009 Eastman MD815/V
    2019 Northfield NF-N5S
    some home music videos

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    If you find a chord book, even a guitar one, with a C2 in it, just post a picture of the fingering.

If you're writing a chart, then I'd ask (plead) that if you want a Cadd9 or a Csus2 or even a Cadd2, PLEASE write the dang thing out! (I'm sure we could crowd-fund a new box of pencils if the extra letters will create hardship )
    Hmm, okay, why shouldn’t you do your own research though? Just google “C2 chord” and look at the guitar charts that pop up. There is no consensus … same with forum posts (disagreements). You have to face the fact that it’s being used both ways. To me, Cmaj2 makes most sense, but it doesn’t really matter. C2 is not used very often. Cmaj2 and Cadd2 are not used nearly as often, either, as Cadd9 which is virtually the same thing when living in a western world dominated by GUITAR and the corresponding guitar chord inversions.

Who really cares? Just play what sounds best IMO
    WWW.MARKGUNTER.NET
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

My theory knowledge is from a classical tonal orientation. So I was tempted to say there is no such thing as a C2 chord. Different nooks and crannies of music evolve their own shorthands. In this case my guess is they are trying to say that it is a C major triad with the second note of the scale, D, added. If they called it a C9, it would also include the 7th note (B). So C-E-G-D.
    There is no one way to say these things. I come close to screaming when trying to talk to my jazz friends as they are amazingly cavalier about how they name chords while claiming they aren't. You just have to go with the culture you are working with at the time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nevin For This Useful Post:

Context in the song would help. Maybe a pic of the song chart or a sound clip of the tune.
    It could be a very quick easy thing to create some motion- like hammering onto the E from the open D in a simple 2 finger C chord. Or it could be the guitar chord x32033 that gets used often as a 4 chord in G. Or it could be something else. I kind of doubt that it is a chord that would require a special shape to learn but who knows? it could be a typo..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bevan View Post
    For clarity: to me, C2 = Csus2 it's just a shorter way of saying the same thing.
    The common usage is C2 is not the same as Csus2. The sus omits the third. The 2 or add9 keeps the third. Ex.: C2 = C D E G; Csus2 = C D G
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Broyles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post

C2 on guitar: X30010 or X32030 or X32033
    C2 on mandolin: 5030 or 5253 There are others.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Blog Entries

I am learning from this discussion. It is a good test of my musical education just to follow along. Not sure any of this would have made sense last year.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

I don't think I've ever seen a C2 in a chart. If I did, unless something about the context told me different, I would treat it just like an add2 or add9. A sus chord should be notated as such.

12. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Since this is still going I'll point out the context where I think it fits better than "add2"s and "sus2"s:

I play a lot of Irish Trad, and I recently moved to where there aren't any IT guitarists handy, so I've switched from mandolin to guitar (tuned ADGCAE long story for another time). I'm busy arranging my parts, and notating them just 'cuz that's what I do.

Irish Trad has lots of tunes that aren't major or minor. Many tunes in A will use an Em pentatonic scale. The IV chord, the D, isn't major or minor either (there's no F# in the tune), and is usually played with D's and A's along with drone-y A and E open strings. Calling this a Dsus2 implies that the D is major (even if no third is being played) that's an implication that I wish to avoid. I like calling it a "D2" because it describes the chord just as it is a D-E-A "triad".

It's just me, it's my own personal notation system, but the way I use it, C2 means something different than Csus2.

14. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post: