Thread: My new The Loar lm110 -- straps endpin and other such stuff

Default My new The Loar lm110 -- straps endpin and other such stuff

Hi folks, I've been wanting a playable mandolin for a long time and I finally got one.
    I'm really happy with it. Elderly got it here within 5 days on their free shipping and it seems to play great based on my very limited experience, but also based on my many years of playing guitar.

But, when I received it from Elderly, it was missing the end pin. All there is is a hole in the center of where the tailpiece attaches. So I can't decently attach the new strap that i bought with it. We're exchanging emails and they said that generally they ship them with the end pin removed because they've had trouble with damage in shipping. they asked me to check the packaging materials--not there. It's not in the gigbag I ordered with it either. So they're contacting someone to find a suitable end pin.

Yes, I know I can tie it with a boot lace or any number of things that might be laying around the house, but .... that's not satisfying to me right now. And honestly, I'd be nervous about tying something around the end of the tailpiece.

anyway, on to the questions.

Should it be difficult to find an endpin for this little girl if Elderly takes a long time to get me one?
    What should I look for?

Also, I know it's common, but I'm also hesitant to use a boot lace to tie the strap around the neck heel area. What are your thoughts on getting a button put on the heel? I just like the tidyness of strap buttons.

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!
    Rusty

Default Re: My new The Loar lm110 -- straps endpin and other such stuff

Stewmac sells them
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    Stewmac sells them
    Are endpins all the same size, or is there something I need to know before buying one if I need to?

I'm a strap button guy too as I didn't want to tie anything behind the headstock, etc. Here is where mine is on the heel and of course below the tailpiece. I also included a stock photo that might be easier to see.

Congrats on your first mando and welcome to the forum.

Rob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2732.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	198668
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 1.11.07 PM.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	198667  

Teacher, repair person

If you've got a local music store that keeps a parts bin, they might have some type of endpin that will fit.
    If not, a violin or viola endpin will work, but it will probably have to be trimmed to fit. It's a little tricky to do right unless you know the technique and have the right tools. An electric guitar tech might botch the job, and you don't want that. Violin repair people install them as a matter of routine, so that is the first place that I would go for the repair.

While I might be reluctant to install a strap button on a $5000 instrument, I would have no qualms about installing one on an LM-110. It should be installed professionally, because there is a risk of cracking the heel if a pilot hole is not drilled to accept the screw. As long as a pilot hole is drilled, there should be no problem.