Thread: Eastman 305 - Neck Comparisons

Default Eastman 305 - Neck Comparisons

Hey all!

So my one and only mandolin is an Eastman 305 and too be honest, I don't think I've ever played anything else. I'm a relatively new player so when I read that Eastman's were a quality beginner instrument I just went for it.

I really enjoy playing it but I am learning that on some tunes it is just really difficult to not mistakenly mute other strings when they shouldn't be. Usually I just chalked it up to being used to playing the guitar and having to get used to a smaller instrument, but then someone noted the neck size of another brand (I don't remember which brand). So it got me wondering....

Are Eastman mandolins (specifically the 305) considered a slim neck/nut/fretboard, average neck/nut/fretboard or a wide neck/nut/fretboard compared to other brand/models out there?

Thanks!

Default Re: Eastman 305 - Neck Comparisons

I would say that the most common neck sizes on modern mandolins is 1 1/8 and your Eastman is 1 3/32, so a little bit more narrow. Neck profile comes into play as well when determining what mandolin neck is right for you. Some neck profiles have a pronounced 'V' shape while other have more of a 'C' shape. Many manufacturers (Northfield, Collings, Breedlove, etc.) have models that are described as a wide nut option and those generally clock in at 1 3/16. I think Big Muddy even has a 1 1/4 model. Also, I think vintage models can range in nut width but I don't know anything about those.

FWIW, I have small hands and fingers and I started out with an Eastman 505 (1 3/32) and then ordered my current mandolin, Sawchyn Beavertail, which is a 1 1/8 and ended up preferring that nut width/profile and sold the Eastman. Also, in a hand carved instrument there might even be variances from one production model to the next.

So, in answer to your question, your Eastman is definitely not considered a wide nut but rather maybe a little more towards the narrow side.

Another thing to consider if you are coming over from guitar as many of us are/did is not to try and play it like a tiny guitar. Instead it better to angle it more so that your fingers are approaching at an angle more like a fiddle/violin. It took me a while to figure that out even tho it is often mentioned here.

Rob

Default Re: Eastman 305 - Neck Comparisons

Just personal feelings but my conclusion is that I have to play an instrument before I feel sure about it. If they don't play well then the sound isn't too important. My experience is mostly with banjo but also several years of mandolin one of which is an Eastman 315. it has the 1 3/32 width, 12 inch radius and what seems like a much more C shaped neck than my Duff that measures 1 5/32, 10 inch radius and has what feels like a slimmer more V shaped neck. To me there is just a world of difference in the way they play. On the Eastman my left hand feels much more cramped and I believe its a combination of everything. I currently have a nice Gibson on loan with a V profile 1 1/8 inch neck and flat board. Again it feels slightly more cramped and a bit harder to get around on than the Duff but much better than the Eastman. So at this point I've just really decided we're much better off to get our hands onto whatever we buy if possible. Many of the more desirable old Gibsons are only 1 1/16 and they seem to serve others very well proving that its all up to the individual. I did believe it was the radius that made the difference but I'm just not sure any longer.
    I had the chance to play 3 different Gilcrist F5's, I'm terribly biased in favor of this brand and all 3 felt great to me wether flat or radiused so in that case it was likely the shape of the neck.
    Hope this makes sense and it is just my humble opinion but mandolins can be so expensive that its sad to get one and then be disappointed.