Thread: Calhoun case?

Default Calhoun case?

Has anyone found a decent case that fits the Northfield Calhoun yet? I think Iíve read most of the previous threads on this subject but donít recall seeing any substantiated solutions. Unfortunately a gig bag just isnít going to cut it for my needs.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Calhoun case?

Ask Northfield. They are very open to customer or potential customer questions.
    Stiver A style custom
    Mid-Missouri EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Ibanez Bowl Back
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Ask Northfield. They are very open to customer or potential customer questions.
    Looks like I’m going to have to.

Bit of a head scratcher that they don’t stock any hard cases for the Calhoun, or at least list a compatible hard case on their website that can be sourced from an external vendor. Specs on the Recurve would seem to indicate it’s a no go for the Calhoun.

I’ll shoot them an email.

You could also put a call into Elderly Instruments. They seem to have a Calhoun in stock, as well as a variety of cases. I'm sure they'd be willing to check the fit on a few different options for you.

5. The following members say thank you to Zmando85 for this post:

If you find one, please post. I’m sure there are many of us who would prefer a hard case.

I certainly will Ed.

I struck out at The Music Emporium and so far no reply from Northfield.

Does anyone have a recent Superior fiberglass case theyíd be willing to measure the interior bout width on? I am having difficulty finding the specs on-line - curiously the saga site doesnít list them. Iíd be interested to know that internal width on both the A and F style cases. Also wondering how deep the case is in the bridge area.

Quick Update:

Peter B. from Northfield got back to me today. He was kind enough to call around to some of their dealers that he knew typically have a lot of different cases on hand. Unfortunately all reported that none of the hard cases they had in stock were a perfect fit for the Calhoun. Peter did mention a case on Amazon that they are going to buy in hopes that it will be a good fit, but until they (or someone else) tries the case out, we won’t know for sure. I’d be the Guinea pig, except I happened to find a Superior Fiberglass case at Amazon Warehouse for a steeply discounted price just prior to getting Peter’s email and I pulled the trigger.

I expect the Superior will be too large to be ideal, but my main priority for now is keeping the mando humidified at home. I’m less concerned about impact damage due to the Calhoun flopping around loosely inside the case because I don’t expect this Mando to leave the house in the foreseeable future. I’ll report back on the fit once the case arrives next week.

Thanks to Peter at Northfield for doing the legwork of calling around to dealers, many instrument companies would have just said “sorry, don’t know which cases might fit”.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mojo For This Useful Post:

FredKGMorgan