Thread: Northfield F5S consistency (or buying without checking)

Default Northfield F5S consistency (or buying without checking)

Hey everybody!

I'm in a process of upgrading to a better mandolin. My eyes are kind of set to the Northfield F5S (red spruce one) already, although I'm open to other variants within this kind of price range. The thing is, I live in Russia and plan to buy a mando in the US and then get it here via my friends (and friends of friends, for that matter) that are visiting. It's kind of a long route for it, so there's no chance of me or someone close to me just getting to a store and listening to a lot of mandolins before making a decision, therefore I'm king of left to decide using textual and video-reviews of it here and there. That said, the reviews are generally quite favourable.

So the question is: based on your experience, are these Northfields consistent enough that one can just buy one F5S based on the reviews of other F5S's? Do they vary much from year to year and from finish to finish?

Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Northfield F5S consistency (or buying without checking)

i've had maybe three over the years, all very nice, high quality mandolins. the three were different year makes, sometimes maybe two years apart. i was impressed by each one. i'm sure if a person had a couple to pick from there would be obvious differences, but i think if you have to buy blind, its a solid brand.

the other thing thats in your favor, the ones i've had in hand have always without exception, had excellent setups. all i ever had to do was adjust my truss rod a little to personal preference and adjust my bridge to personal preference-height wise. all of this maybe 10 min at most. i'm thinking my first one was 2012, last one around 2016.

d

I haven't owned an F5S but I bought a 4th gen and an Octave flat top with nothing but a picture to go on. Not a bit disappointed with either one. I haven't played any NFs that I thought were junk. I would guess NF is going to be more consistent overall than something in the lower price range.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I've owned, and still own, quite a few Northfield mandolins. I would not hesitate, especially if you live somewhere where your choices are limited, to buy an F5S. Northfield has worked hard to maintain a level of consistency that other shops have struggled with. I think that I have owned six, still have two.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I have the good fortune to live within driving distance of a great mandolin shop (and forum sponsor!), Fiddler's Green, so I bought my Northfield F5S in person. I can tell you that every Northfield I played during my visits there was deeply impressive, and I ended up picking my F5S over similar instruments from other brands (including in a slightly higher price range). In the end, I was split between two F5S models, one in Adirondack and one in Engelmann. As you can tell from my signature, I ended up going with the Engelmann (but that's purely due to my preferred sound profile).

It's hard to answer your question with certainty because differences in sound are so subjective, but if you already know you like the general sound profile that Northfield is known for, there's little room for disappointment. The fit and finish on mine (and all the other Northfields I played) is spectacular, and it plays like a dream.
    1913 Gibson F2 (Blacktop)
    2022 Big Muddy Mandola (M-16, Ziricote back and sides, Adirondack top)
    2022 Kentucky KM-120 (Elevated fretboard conversion)
    1940s Kay Banjolin
    1930s Martin Style 0 Ukulele
    1920s Vega Senator Plectrum Banjo (GDAE octave mando tuning)

I bought a flat top OM & Big Mon online & both are spectacular. It's admittedly a small sample size but I'd be confident in Northfield's consistancy
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Based on what I’ve seen and played in stores, agree with the above comments. Another option is to contact the shop you’re planning on buying from, explain what you’re after, and have them pick the one they think fits best. I’ve had good luck with this approach with The Mandolin Store. I’ve also bought a mando and a guitar from Fiddler’s Green, and Ben has always given me very accurate assessments. A phone call from Russia may be expensive, but you could possibly set up a FaceTime session or video chat otherwise with the seller(s) you’re considering and maybe even have them demo some models for you. Good luck!

I did buy one unseen a couple years ago, when I wasn’t able to get my hands on before pulling the trigger. Did not regret it.
    Ever since I played several other F5S models and can confirm that the quality is very consistent.
    Good luck and have fun with it…

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

I've only played three Northfields but would have happily bought any one of them

Ditto here. Since their early days I have played on every Northfield F model that I've seen in stores or in private hands, maybe 15 or more instruments. They are very consistent in quality. I would never hesitate to buy one sight unseen. I currently own a Northfield Big Mon as my main mandolin.

Agreed. Both the NF5S and the MT have consistent quality and a lot of representation online so you can really get an idea of what they sound like. I'm sure there is a range but I haven't heard any that I thought were horrible. It's nice to have a reliable, quality, F and A style mandolin that are consistent and available.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

12. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jurasicus View Post
    Hey everybody!

I'm in a process of upgrading to a better mandolin. My eyes are kind of set to the Northfield F5S (red spruce one) already, although I'm open to other variants within this kind of price range. The thing is, I live in Russia and plan to buy a mando in the US and then get it here via my friends (and friends of friends, for that matter) that are visiting. It's kind of a long route for it, so there's no chance of me or someone close to me just getting to a store and listening to a lot of mandolins before making a decision, therefore I'm king of left to decide using textual and video-reviews of it here and there. That said, the reviews are generally quite favourable.

So the question is: based on your experience, are these Northfields consistent enough that one can just buy one F5S based on the reviews of other F5S's? Do they vary much from year to year and from finish to finish?

Thanks a lot!
    I’ve had my Northfield F5M (model before the artist series) since 2015 and ordered it directly from them. Why don’t you contact them - over the years Adrian, Peter, and Derek have always been ready to discuss my concerns/answer ques. Maybe they’ll have an idea on how to get you one instead of using the bucket brigade.

Have fun, I have always liked the F5S’ and ordered my F5M because I couldn’t find any.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Hey everybody!

Thanks a lot!
    I bought an F5S a few months ago. There aren't places near me that stock decent mandolins so I took a chance and bought is from The Mandolin Store. I am very happy with it but not having played other Northfield mandolins I can't comment on consistency

I've played a number of Northfields and the sound has been pretty consistent across all of those instruments. I'd say they are kind of like Collings in that regard.

I think you could absolutely order one of their instruments without playing it first, and be very happy with the end result.

I will say this: after playing a few F5S models (all of which were very nice), and then playing a Big Mon....it was an easy decision to buy a Big Mon. You might want to consider saving up a little longer, I think it's worth it.

I know that some people have reported that they've found some F5S mandolins to be as good or better than a Big Mon, but that hasn't been my experience. The Big Mon is a little louder, a little deeper, a little richer... Just a little more of everything, IMO, and worth the extra money.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

I've owned my F5S for a couple years now and have played several others in shops and at jams and can say that the build quality is superb and highly consistent. While every individual instrument will have some tiny bit of variance of tone, Northfield has a very consistent overall sound amongst their models.

I wouldn't hesitate to order another one sight unseen if something catastrophic were to happen to mine...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Just ordered one from The Mandolin Store! Thank you all very much for your helpful input. Now this mandolin is starting its looooong trip towards Russia. I'll let you guys know how I feel when I get it. Cheers!

I try to keep my expectations low in situations like this but mine were exceeded in spades! I think the waiting tends to go faster when woodshedding but YMMV
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Oh, I will add since someone mentioned the Big Mon, that while the consistency of quality is very good, the sound of the various models can be quite a bit different. i.e. F5S v. Big Mon v. 4th Gen v. Calhoun. I played one of each back at Swannanoa in the pre-Covid days and came away very impressed with all of them but for different reasons.

I think they all have their place to be the perfect instrument depending on your preferences as well as your budget.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Just ordered one from The Mandolin Store! Thank you all very much for your helpful input. Now this mandolin is starting its looooong trip towards Russia. I'll let you guys know how I feel when I get it. Cheers!
    Congrats! I'm sure you will be a very happy camper.

Report back when you receive and have played it, for those who are curious.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Enjoy I could not be more pleased with mine at the price point. Tough to beat them. All you have to do is look at the sheer volume of new ones that are constantly up for sale and how few used show up in the classifieds.

The waiting is the worst part