Thread: Mandolin string recommendations

Default Mandolin string recommendations

I have a Weber Vintage oval hole, what strings are recommended for this model, the current strings are Thomastik Infeld Vienna", the instrument has a very subdued sound with hardly any projection.
    Thank you

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin string recommendations

I think almost any phosphor-bronze string will give you more projection. A popular type with mandolin players is the D'Addario EJ74s. They might be beefier than you'd want. You could try the EJ73 for a lighter gauge version with less tension and easier playability.

Webers are well built mandos and I'm sure yours could take the tension of the EJ74s.
    '95 Gibson F-5V
    2017 Collings MF5
    2017 Martin OOO-28
    2002 Martin D-18GE

Default Re: Mandolin string recommendations

I started using Curt Mangan "fusion matched" phosphor bronze strings about a year ago on my 10 string mandola. I immediately heard a deeper, richer tone, more volume, way more sustain. So I got a set for my 10 string mandocello and heard the same results. I now use Curt Mangan strings on my F5 and F4 (monel there), octave mandolin and several guitars.

I've tried many other brands of strings over the years - d'addarrio, GHS, Mapes, Ernie Ball, la bella, Newtone, Martin, etc. (but I've never tried TI's). Curt Mangan are hands down the best strings I've heard or played.