Thread: Modern F4 options?

Default Modern F4 options?

Would appreciate advice from the cognoscenti hereby gathered. For a few years I have been enjoying a lovely F-hole two-point. Each time I play a bit, my wife comments that she likes the mandola better (a 1914 Gibson H-1) not because it’s deeper, but because it has a less sharp, woody resonance with a bit of resonance. The two-point has bell-like tone, but it is sharp and cuts through. It has plenty of headroom and can eat of banjos if it gets hungry. So I have been thinking of trading the two-point for a modern F-4 (I like how the F balances in my lap and in my hands). Poking around, it seems there are only two high-end makers of modern F-4 take-offs: Weber and Collings (the MF-O and MF5-0). I asked Tom Ellis (a gentleman!) if he would build one and he doesn’t think there’s much market because “there are so many good old F-4s around.” I prefer the feel and tone of a modern instrument so wonder: Who else builds an oval-hole Fs on par with Collings? Nothing wrong with Collings; just exploring options. Have had Webers, and they are fine, just not quite right for me. Thanks!

Default Re: Modern F4 options?

Max Girouard builds beautiful F-4's but if you aren't wanting to commission an instrument then another option would be a Northfield oval F.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Not answering your questions (and whatever circle I'm in does not intersect "mandolin cognoscenti"), but I'll toss out that while not as expensive as a Collings, and not an F-4, there's a Northfield F2S just posted in the Classifieds. Based on the NF-F5S (used) I recently got, it caught my attention.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

By 'modern' do you also mean a hybrid F4 with the 14th fret neck joint rather than the 12th (as in a Gibson)? I believe that Northfield is 14, Collings compromises at 13th fret. This effects the tone and the feel of the instrument. For more traditional (but not a strict Gibson copy, it has cross bracing which is another question) you might consider Pomeroy, a very fine builder. I believe Pava builds them too (14th fret) and also Ellis, who is much more expensive.
    Cary Fagan

Thanks guys--I mean an F-style with an oval hole -- which may or may not be "an F4"! Joining at 12 or 13th fret is fine. My sister plays a MF-0 is it it lovely all the way up the neck. It is across-braced, a sound I think I prefer to tone bars

Since you are interested in an F4 because of the sound, you should take into consideration the features that contribute to the sound. An old F4 (or F2) is attached directly to the top of the body at the 12th fret and has a shorter mahogany neck. A modern F4 has a riser block like an F5, attached at the 15th fret (13th fret for Collings) and a maple neck. Both scales are the same. You might find that a modern F4 and doesn't meets your requirement for sound. If you want to try out a modern oval hole built like the old F4's and not spend a lot of money Eastman makes them.

RobH makes a good point. It's worth doing a bit of research on what kind of oval sound you like.

If you like your banjo eatin two point a modern F4 with a cantilevered fretboard might suit you. They are kind of hybrids. The oval hole and X bracing gives it a more resonant, bassy sound but the modern features seem to give it a little more cut. I like the "hybrid ovals" best but it's really down to personal choice and application.

Definitely worth talking to Max and Lauri. Might be a bit of a wait but they build great mandolins.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

THanks--yes, by "modern sound" I mean the result, in part, of a cantilevered fret board, and attaching to the body above fret 12. Many, but not all, modern versions tend to project a bit more than the older instruments, and often have a narrower, less beefy neck.

I have a modern F4 style mandolin with X bracing and 14 frets clear of the body. I love it. A bit more robust than a 12 fretter with with the old style bracing IMHO. The first mandolin like this I ever played was made by Mark Bluett but I was unable to purchase it at that time. I did use it on a recording however and it sounded fine.

10. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

The suggestions so far as excellent, if not high end. I wonder if a higher-end Eastman MD-X14 might meet your needs. Most of the 614 models come with an installed K&K if that matters to you.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

If you want high end check out the Gibson F4 Hybrid I'm selling on Reverb. One of a kind by David Harvey. It's an amazing mandolin but not for the faint of wallet!

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

FWIW I would think you would want a 12 fret oval hole design like the Gibson H-1 but in a mandolin for a similar sound.

Audie Ratliff makes them, plain or fancy. ratliffmandolins.com
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

To me if I wanted an F4 I'd get an F4. They're usually not hard to find and unlike a Gibson F5 they haven't gone stratospheric in price. And they're just so cool.

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

+1 for Girouard, I would also add Sawchyn..

https://www.sawchyn.com/index.php/ma...-o-2-mandolins

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
    Thanks guys--I mean an F-style with an oval hole -- which may or may not be "an F4"! Joining at 12 or 13th fret is fine. My sister plays a MF-0 is it it lovely all the way up the neck. It is across-braced, a sound I think I prefer to tone bars
    I may be wrong but I believe that most modern oval holed makers use an X-brace rather than tone bars or the single old style brace.
    Charley

Skip Kelley is making some awesome mandolins and has done some “hybrid” and trad F4 style mandos. Believe there’s a video of him comparing a 12 fret join vs a 23 fret join on YouTube…

Mike Black?
    John Hamlett?

Skip makes a cool one, most builders could make you this request... here is a video of Skips. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiqOOAD0Khw

23. The following members say thank you to Rose #1 for this post:

Skip is a great guy to talk to and makes a killer mandolin.
    Charley