Thread: Payment for Mandolins on Mandolin Cafe

Default Payment for Mandolins on Mandolin Cafe

Hello all

Given PayPal charges and various other concerns how are people paying for instruments these days? I see an number of adds not prepared to accept PayPal. There is nothing else I am aware of that gives any purchase protection. I appreciate your thoughts.

Default Re: Payment for Mandolins on Mandolin Cafe

PayPal with fees is still the gold standard as far as the Cafe is concerned. Maybe that's difficult for some people to accept.

Recently I covered the PayPal fees on a couple of transactions (neither one was a Cafe ad) where I felt I was getting a good enough deal that I didn't mind doing it. That is, I paid enough extra so the seller could pay the fee and still net their asking price. (Don't try posting a Cafe ad asking the buyer to do that. Instead, figure out what you want for the instrument, add 3% for fees, and voila! There's your asking price.)

When you place a Cafe ad you'll see a notice that says: "Do not specify Money Order, Western Union, Venmo or PayPal Family & Friends. Doing so your ad may be blocked."

If you come across an ad that violates this policy, you can report it to the site owner.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

3. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

I wouldn’t risk money without protection. If you can lose your entire sum without concern you might think differently.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I do see one ad that is asking for cash or money orders, but otherwise a quick search doesn't suggest a trend of people trying to skirt the payment rules. Now, what people say in their ads and what they communicate privately may differ.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

The only way I would do other than PayPal (for the protection) would be from a local seller where I could check out the item in person and pay and take it home with me, or if I actually knew the person. And while I have done "friends and family" if the amount was low enough that I could afford to lose it, I VERY RARELY will take that payment route. And I expect others to do the same. Venmo - expect to lose the money (unless you know the person.)

I just sent a check, I have done it before and never had problems. In one instance I mailed the check for an amp and the builder mailed the amp the same day. I had asked him to send it as soon as he got the check, when I called about whether he got the check, he laughed and said," yes but I sent the amp the same day you mailed your check". I know there are folks out there who would scam you, and you need to feel good about what you are doing, but there are honest folks out there too.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thankfully buying and selling on the Cafe has been a positive experience over the years. I once received $50 in cash from a buyer for a cd bundle. I was surprised to see cash and was thankful for the buyer that it arrived ok.
    Paypal is the way to go.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

I have purchased a few mandolins through the cafe classifieds, and I paid with a mailed bank check in every case. My feeling was if I got the feeling I needed a more protected form of payment, I might better back out all together.

But that is me, and I don't buy often. While I have never had the slightest problem as every sale went extremely smoothly, I haven't done it enough times to draw any reasonable conclusion, and certainly would not particularly recommend it. I guess my feeling is that if I felt in the slightest way uncomfortable, PayPal or Venmo was not going to solve that problem.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I can see with the new reporting requirements, some folks may decide to not use Paypal, not because they have something to hide, but just to make things easier at tax time. I still prefer Paypal for its convenience, but if it's someone I recognize from the forum who have a history of prior transactions, I likely won't hesitate to send a check. I will not use Venmo or Zelle, though, as I don't like having another entry point into my bank accounts.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I just sent a check, I have done it before and never had problems. In one instance I mailed the check for an amp and the builder mailed the amp the same day. I had asked him to send it as soon as he got the check, when I called about whether he got the check, he laughed and said," yes but I sent the amp the same day you mailed your check". I know there are folks out there who would scam you, and you need to feel good about what you are doing, but there are honest folks out there too.
    I recently bought a bowl back. Not Big dollars. The seller wanted a check. He sent the mandolin the same day we sealed the deal and I didn't send the check until the following day. I received the mandolin 3 days before he received the check.
    Thankfully, I have had all good experiences buying and selling on the Cafe.
    I consider Mandolin Cafe to be the gold standard for these types of sites.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I consider Mandolin Cafe to be the gold standard for these types of sites.
    Absolutely.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have mailed checks, money orders, and done bank transfer to buy on the MC classifieds. No problems. But I do try to deal with folks - professional or not - who are known on the cafe.

(once when I was getting money orders for a purchase the bank teller asked me what they were for...I said "well, there's this Nigerian Prince who will send me $3 million if I send him $2,000"...her face = priceless)

Kirk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiltman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by colemole View Post
    Hello all

Given PayPal charges and various other concerns how are people paying for instruments these days? I see an number of adds not prepared to accept PayPal. There is nothing else I am aware of that gives any purchase protection. I appreciate your thoughts.
    For me the fee is worth the protection. If you are referring to the IRS reporting requirement then cash or bartering are your options