Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porcupine Tree - Trains - chord Dadd4add9

Default Re: Porcupine Tree - Trains - chord Dadd4add9

I’m a newbie so others will have better answers but I’ll say yes, with the caveat that anytime I’m transposing guitar chords on the mandolin I watch for cases where the different voicing of the instrument means I need to play a slightly different chord to best fit the song, e.g. a three finger C chord instead of a Cadd9 or one of several different available voicings of the same chord, or walk between different fingerings or the same chord for variety.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

I've never seen that chord form before. Could be someone's interpretation or misunderstanding. A chord containing d, f#, and g suggests a G major context, possibly a truncated maj7. As always context is everyhing. What comes before and after that chord? Any idea of its function?

(12)000 sounds pretty good. That would give you, low pitch to high, D G A E, (R 4 5 9) so no third. The nomenclature of Dadd4add9 is fine; the arranger obviously wants a D triad with the 4 and the 9. Toggling between frets 11 and 12 on the G course sounds pretty cool
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    I've never seen that chord form before. Could be someone's interpretation or misunderstanding. A chord containing d, f#, and g suggests a G major context, possibly a truncated maj7. As always context is everyhing. What comes before and after that chord? Any idea of its function?
    Ralph if only you had read the OP and the thread with a little interest, you’d find that the context has been given by way of a YouTube video in OP, as well as being mentioned in some of the comments.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Well, as with so many discussion threads this one is confused and seems to rest on the assumption that there really is a full triad with added fourth (and ninth) — which I simply don’t hear. So I suggested the simple explanation, that this is somebody’s misinterpretation of what’s going on. John Kelly also suggested that the “add” should be a “sus”. There is a full and very lengthy transcription of a guitar part (the original?) on the internet, which confirms that suggestion. It also shows that the guitar part is totally guitaristic in its reliance on open strings effecs offered by the use of a capo.

So what’s missing here is an answer to the first question that comes to mind — what are the other instruments in your group? If there is a guitar then, of course, the mandolin should attempt something else, perhaps of a more melodic nature, fills, long tremoloes, etc. And if there is no other chordal instrument, the mandolinist would have to work out something else with the bass in a very active role.

If it really is an add4 instead of sus4, then the best way to play the chord i think would be to drop the root. Someone else is covering the root, the D. So then it’s easy to play open G the 4th, F# the 3rd on the D string, open A the 5th, open E the 9th. Or play the E on the D string and F# on the E string.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    So what’s missing here is an answer to the first question that comes to mind — what are the other instruments in your group? If there is a guitar then, of course, the mandolin should attempt something else, perhaps of a more melodic nature, fills, long tremoloes, etc. And if there is no other chordal instrument, the mandolinist would have to work out something else with the bass in a very active role.
    Once again, a careful reading of the original post would help. Regardless what other instruments are in the band, his band mates asked him to play that specific part. He plays both acoustic guitar and mandolin. He was looking for a way to cover that part and trying it on mandolin, but he encountered this strange chord nomenclature and brought it up here. That’s the context of his question.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff