Thread: Carpal Tunnel surgery?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Carpal Tunnel surgery?

I am interested in hearing the experience of others after carpal tunnel surgery. My syndrome has advanced to the point where I have little strength or feel in two of my fretting fingers with constant aching and burning. My picking hand has not yet started burning but aches. I have decided to do what I should have done some time back and have the surgery.
    How long after surgery was it that you could fret or pick again? Also, I would be interested in knowing how long did it take for full recovery and if after full recovery, were you back to 100%?
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Jan-14-2022 at 4:14pm.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: Carpal Tunnel surgery?

My wife had carpel tunnel along with LRTI in her thumb last year. She's fully recovered and flatpicking like crazy. While waiting for full recovery, she learned to pick holding the pick between index and middle finger, no thumb. Creative she certainly is.

She has no carpal tunnel issues and is abut 90-95% with her thumb. It was about 4 months recovery for the thumb, wrist was quicker.

ymmv
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

I think I was down for 2 months after mine a couple years ago but can't remember for sure.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

5. The following members say thank you to urobouros for this post:

Practitioners of Rolfing (deep tissue manipulation) report excellent success treating carpal tunnel syndrome. Probably their most famous success story is Leonard Fleischer, the concert pianist. He lost the use of his right hand for many years due to carpal tunnel, and a Rolfer fixed him and put him back in the game, two-handed. (To his credit, in the meantime he became the foremost interpreter of Bartok's left-handed piano concerto.) It's worth a look. I believe the headquarters website is rolf.org. NFI here, but I have had Rolfers work on me in the past for other issues and obtained excellent results.

I'd sure try anything else before I let a surgeon cut me. Surgeons do surgery. It's kind of like going to the tire store and asking if they think you need a new set of tires.

Best of luck to you.

I've not had the surgery you are considering but I'll say this about recovery - DON'T RUSH IT!!! There are lots of success stories about this surgery.
    Mateo Casarino, an Italian immigrant from the old SF days had an accident that cut the tendon of his left hand little finger. The Docs put him back together successfully and told him to wait 6 weeks. Mateo couldn't wait and ended up playing w/out his little finger the rest of his life.
    I have had several major bone breaks that I obsequiously obeyed the doctors and therapists. I recovered completely.
    Good luck Bill!
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

8. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    My wife had carpel tunnel along with LRTI in her thumb last year. She's fully recovered and flatpicking like crazy. While waiting for full recovery, she learned to pick holding the pick between index and middle finger, no thumb. Creative she certainly is.

She has no carpal tunnel issues and is abut 90-95% with her thumb. It was about 4 months recovery for the thumb, wrist was quicker.

ymmv
    Good to hear she had such a strong recovery. Keep picking!

I'm not a player, but am a builder for almost 20 years.. Worked the assembly lines in the auto industry for over 34 years (not all on the line).. With all of the repeated movement, I suffered hard with carpel tunnel till I finely had it corrected.. I remember being down for about 6 weeks before resuming production work.. My surgery was only about 80% with pain and numbness still to this day.. This was 25 years age when it was the vogue.. but life goes on.....
    kterry

11. The following members say thank you to buckhorn for this post:

I have had surgery on both hands. My experience in terms of down time is very similar to "buckhorn's". Don't get them both done at the same time though.

13. The following members say thank you to J.C. Bryant for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Bryant View Post
    I have had surgery on both hands. My experience in terms of down time is very similar to "buckhorn's". Don't get them both done at the same time though.
    How long ago did you have the surgery? I have heard that methods have changed radically in just the last few years and not only is the incision now much smaller but recovery times also much shorter. I sure hope this is accurate.
    It is an unusual day that I don't play for at least two hours and not playing will greatly hamper my quality of life.
    Kentucky KM-950

I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my right (picking) hand back in August. The procedure was very quick (outpatient) and I was back home within a few hours. The incision is very small these days, about 1-1/2" long, right at the bottom end of the lifeline on my palm. The doctor said I could possibly be back to work in two weeks, but I imagine that timeline was more for someone doing office work. For me to swing a hammer or hold a saw, it was four weeks, and even then my hand felt very weak. But it has steadily improved. There is some scar tissue that feels like a ridge at the incision site, and a bit of occasional pain there, but I would say that grip strength is at 90-95 percent now. I'm hoping to get the left hand done this winter while time off is easy to schedule.
    Mitch Russell

16. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my right (picking) hand back in August. The procedure was very quick (outpatient) and I was back home within a few hours. The incision is very small these days, about 1-1/2" long, right at the bottom end of the lifeline on my palm. The doctor said I could possibly be back to work in two weeks, but I imagine that timeline was more for someone doing office work. For me to swing a hammer or hold a saw, it was four weeks, and even then my hand felt very weak. But it has steadily improved. There is some scar tissue that feels like a ridge at the incision site, and a bit of occasional pain there, but I would say that grip strength is at 90-95 percent now. I'm hoping to get the left hand done this winter while time off is easy to schedule.
    Thank you. How long before you could swing a mandolin pick?
    Kentucky KM-950

18. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

My ability to hold a pick was mostly limited by the bandage & wrap that was on my right hand for 10 days or so. After that came off, holding a pick was no big deal. The real test will be fretting after the left hand is done. I foresee that being at least a month without being able to play.
    Mitch Russell

20. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post: