Thread: My Rock and Roll Mandolin Songs

Default My Rock and Roll Mandolin Songs

Ever since I got my Gibson F5G I’ve been knocking out rock ‘n’ roll songs on it, here’s two of them…

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/yfWpMcsmNDXW34cs8

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/wJB2Ptp5AHUsYTPM6

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockabilly69 For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My Rock and Roll Mandolin Songs

Cool stuff. Two very different songs and sounds using the same instruments - quite a pair, indeed. I like that. I guess the comment element is you and your versatility. Good going!

Couldn't help noticing you've had a whole eight posts in almost ten years - and moreover, just three since you introduced yourself back then. I'll bet you've been too busy playing to do much chatting. That's cool, that's what a lot of us strive to achieve. As for me, I'm definitely a big yakker around here, much more than in real life, and have been even when I've been busy. Almost always found the time, somehow. There's just so much I learn around here, and can share what I've learned and done and thought with folks who get it, more or less.

But enough about me. I like what you've done here, and want to welcome you back. And welcome your new mandolin. Sounds fine. Glad you saw the light and got a Gibson. And glad you didn't stick with the Breedlove FF, as much as you avowed you'd never need another. I see you've been on a bit of a mandolin journey - fewer than many, but nevertheless ... and seemingly driven by practicality, as well a passion to be at your best. Good for you, and good for the mandolin community. Keep it going!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: My Rock and Roll Mandolin Songs

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Cool stuff. Two very different songs and sounds using the same instruments - quite a pair, indeed. I like that. I guess the comment element is you and your versatility. Good going!

Couldn't help noticing you've had a whole eight posts in almost ten years - and moreover, just three since you introduced yourself back then. I'll bet you've been too busy playing to do much chatting. That's cool, that's what a lot of us strive to achieve. As for me, I'm definitely a big yakker around here, much more than in real life, and have been even when I've been busy. Almost always found the time, somehow. There's just so much I learn around here, and can share what I've learned and done and thought with folks who get it, more or less.

But enough about me. I like what you've done here, and want to welcome you back. And welcome your new mandolin. Sounds fine. Glad you saw the light and got a Gibson. And glad you didn't stick with the Breedlove FF, as much as you avowed you'd never need another. I see you've been on a bit of a mandolin journey - fewer than many, but nevertheless ... and seemingly driven by practicality, as well a passion to be at your best. Good for you, and good for the mandolin community. Keep it going!
    Thanks for the reply! And you're right, I really haven't posted much because as soon as I got the FF I just started making music with it.

I still have the FF mandolin with no plans of unloading it I'm keeping that one for live work, while the Gibson probably won't leave my house, as I don't want to put a pickup in it. I also put Thomastik flatwound strings on the FF for a slightly different tone option.

As for the journey, I did test the waters on some other mandos. Before the FF, I first bought a Bernard Allen mandolin. It's a great sounding oval soundhole model, but recently the top has begun sinking, and that what got me looking for a new mandolin. I like having options with instrument tones, so I just couldn't pass up that little Breedlove A model. And it turned out to be a great little instrument. I gifted it to a very close friend when I got the Gibson, but it inspired me soon as I played the first chord on it.

Here's a song that I wrote with it, a duet where I used the FF for the other part...

And here's the next song I wrote with it, which is a little more in my rock and roll / blues style...

And that little mandolin got me to thinking how much better a quality A model would sound like, so I bought a Collings MT mandolin. But frankly, that little Breedlove A model was better sounding than the Collings for my style, so back the Collings went.

But the journey took a detour, and here's why. Years ago, my girlfriend bought me a brand new 2001 Gibson F5G, and I didn't like the sound of it, so with her blessings I traded it for a National resonator that turned out to be a KILLER instrument which I have written some of my best songs on.

I always felt bad about trading that gift away, so with the money that I bought the Collings MT with, I bought the Gibson. Why? Because I read right here on this forum that the Gibson F5Gs that are being built right now are some of the best they've built in years. I also thought that it would make my girl happy that I cared enough to replace the gift she got me.

Lucky for me, the new 2021 Gibson F5G, which I bought used at a GREAT price, turned out to be the absolute best mandolin that I've ever played. That's why I gifted the little A model Breedlove to my friend.

Here's the Gibson...