Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

There have been a lot of good mandolins made in the last 10 years.
    It's a lot different from the old days when there wasn't very much to choose from.
    Even with current inventory shortages, I'm sure something will come along that will suit you.

One example: the Newson A-5 that went through Carter's last month was a great instrument, and attractively priced. I was hoping that one of my advancing students would pick it up, but they are young and starting families, and $3000 was more than they could afford. Somebody grabbed it, and got a great mandolin.

These days, we have choices. Something good will turn up.

A thought: since you're in Kentucky, have you thought about paying John Hamlett a visit and see if you might want to order an instrument from him??

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Will Kimble’s 2 point instruments are equal to or better than any F style I’ve ever played or owned… including Kimble F styles. I currently own and play a Kimble 2 point Mandolin and a Kimble two point Mandola as well.
    The best instruments I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned them all!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

here are pictures of the 2 point Duff at Carters. its new, was told 1 1/16" nut width, flat board, small frets. i'm going on memory but i "think" the price was $6900 with case, $7500(maybe a little more) with new Calton. i'm not interested in this, so if anyone is, there you go.

this 2 point has not been photographed or put on the Carter Vintage website yet, staffer took some quick phone pics for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_7167.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	199004

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_7168.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	199005

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_7171.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	199006

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_7170.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	199007

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_7173.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	199008

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_7174.jpg 
Views:	53 
ID:	199009

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_7175.jpg 
Views:	49 
ID:	199010

found these videos of recent Duff 2 point builds. none of the videos below sound like the A style that i am returning-videos almost sound like a good oval hole. The A style i have at hand has a more dry, rich fundamental with less trebly E string set........thats how i hear it.

and here is a beautiful Randy Wood 2 point i found in the classifeds a few days ago and sent a PM with questions. owner returned my PM with answers today and its relatively new within a year or so, nonsmoking environment, purchased by owner at Randys shop, radius fretboard(but owner doesn't know how much-so maybe RW can answer that) nut width: he had a friend take a picture(owner is out of town for a week). glancing it appears 1 1/16", but the ruler is slightly off at the 1 mark, the neck is ever so slightly canted, ruler is not even with the nut parallel(tilted downward a little) so with all that 1/32" can be lost or made up. tidy up that edge on the 1 end, put the ruler flush parallel to the nut horizontal, keep the camera angle straight on, and i think it would come be 1 1/32". Thats getting a little small for me, and until i find out the radius i can't be interested. the curve of the string slots in the nut gives the appearance of a tight radius to my eyes so this may be in the 5+" range again which doesn't work for me. classy looking mandolin, owner sent a short video(20-30 seconds) and i like the sound. price is ok.

later in the day i spoke with Mikayla at CV regarding the 2 point, they played it over the phone and it didn't grab me(later i would YT and find the above videos and its just not happening for me on that one).

i much prefer the symmetrical 2 point style(like the RW) vs the asymmetrical point placement(as in the Duff above).

turned attention towards the new A style they have(larger Evo frets, flat board-guaranteed(lol), new calton with my choice color of ivory/dark red interior, and they are shipping that out to me next week. they sent a return UPS label for the one i have on hand. the folks who played both while they were there said both sounded the same, blindfolded you would not be able to tell a difference, so thats a +. i heard them both played over the phone(i know thats about the worst possible means to hear an instrument but sometimes thats better than nothing), and i could not tell a difference.
    will wait and see.

did not find a Kimble 2 point mandolin anywhere for sale.

nothing more to say until maybe weeks end or early week after.

d

Randy Wood 2 point

Name:	thumbnail_image0.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	199011

Name:	thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	199012

Name:	thumbnail_image1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	199013

Name:	thumbnail_image2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	199014

Name:	thumbnail_image1 (2).jpg 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	199015

Name:	thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	199016

Name:	thumbnail_image0 (3).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	199017

Name:	25F0EEAC-BE7B-41ED-B9E4-1721EF89F454.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	199018

Incoming to TME soon. Two-point Girouard. I believe there are two headed there.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

This Campanella two point just hit the classifieds...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/182269#182269

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

10. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    This Campanella two point just hit the classifieds...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/182269#182269

NFI
    If this is Joe's standard neck, then I am not sure that Daryl is going to find that neck comfortable.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

12. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Thanks C.
    I saw that, love the aesthetic of his work. That has a really wide neck unless it's a mistype.
    I've got a very certain tone I'm after and so far Duff and RW , and certain Gibsons are where I'm hearing it.
    I think the other A at carters will do it, at least it's worth a chance getting it on hand.

14. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post

Name:	25F0EEAC-BE7B-41ED-B9E4-1721EF89F454.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	199018

Incoming to TME soon. Two-point Girouard. I believe there are two headed there.
    That's beautiful. I sent Max an email to see what's perking.
    The thing holding me back on one of his is the tone I'm after. His work and mandolins are top shelf, I've never heard a Girouard with the tone I'm in search of.
    Duff, Randy Wood, a good Gibson, they are different to each other but have that similar dry woody tone. I've never had a mandolin in my hand that had the fullness of each string course like the Duff. I'm sure there are others out there, but out of my budget range.

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    Thanks C.
    I saw that, love the aesthetic of his work. That has a really wide neck unless it's a mistype.
    I've got a very certain tone I'm after and so far Duff and RW , and certain Gibsons are where I'm hearing it.
    I think the other A at carters will do it, at least it's worth a chance getting it on hand.
    About three years ago, TME had a Campanella F5 that was the closest sounding instrument to a vintage Gibson F5 that I have every played. But not a flat board, by any means.
    Last edited by Mandobar; Jan-23-2022 at 6:18pm.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Plan C?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/182358#182358
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

18. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I saw that just now at 515pm-lol, definitely could have been a front seat possibility just as that Gibson F 10 a few ads below it, and the Gibson F5g that Lowe has would also be a front runner.

But, holding steady at the reins, the Duff was picked up this morn at 930am via UPS and is enroute back to Nashvegas. By 11am I had completed the deal on the other Duff with larger Evo frets and confirmed flat board. Comes with a classy brown with gold interior new calton.
    Ironic that such a confirmed gigbag(the real good ones) person has been so captivated with a 11 lb calton. The way the calton carries in hand, I had guessed it to be a light 5 lbs or so. Thought at first it must be some plastic lightweight version. Could not believe my eyes when I weighed it. The carry strap is heavy duty seat belt material with well made/designed hang connections.
    I think the case excites me as much as the mandolin.

Will know more maybe by weeks end or first of next week.
    Fingers tightly crossed for this one.
    A few folks have contacted me that have played the one coming and all said it's a good one.
    d

http://www.smakula.com/Mandolins.html

Bob has a Gibson F5L for $4800. Bit of wear, but I’m sure he made sure it’s structurally sound.

http://www.smakula.com/Mandolins.html

Bob has a Gibson F5L for $4800. Bit of wear, but I’m sure he made sure it’s structurally sound.
    Bob's a friend, and as friends do, I didn't even think to check to see what he might have. He always has some thing or things that are of interest.
    If you ordered that from the Fender custom shop, you'd pay about $2500 more for the stage 3 relic package-lol.
    Doesn't Gibson offer that also on mandolins?

Be interested to hear this, I may give my friend a call tomorrow.
    Mary, I will block you for life if I buy two mandolins this week.....
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Jan-24-2022 at 8:15pm.

Bob's a friend, and as friends do, I didn't even think to check to see what he might have. He always has some thing or things that are of interest.
    If you ordered that from the Fender custom shop, you'd pay about $1200 more for the stage 3 distress package-lol.
    Doesn't Gibson offer that also on mandolins?

Be interested to hear this, I may give my friend a call tomorrow.
    Mary, I will block you for life if I buy two mandolins this week.....
    Daryl,

To be honest, I thought that someone would have grabbed that one right away. And I take no offense at being blocked. LOL. I probably will deserve it.

Daryl,

To be honest, I thought that someone would have grabbed that one right away. And I take no offense at being blocked. LOL. I probably will deserve it.
    I've sent Bob an email...........told him to let me know the radius he put on it, if it's 5.5" for the first 5 fret areas I'm off the hook, if it's 7.25" I my be in trouble.
    At least it's not another banjo.
    That is a cool well played Gibson, good price, would be fun to have if the tone is there and I'd say it is.
    Thanks..
    d

Just got word from Bob, not spoken for so he's holding it, will check radius and nut width in morn for me. If I don't take it, I'd say someone here would love to have it. I'll post the specs tomorrow.
    That's a really cool find, appreciate you posting it. And if Bob's shop dones any work, it's top shelf. I saw a post somewhere where L. Dudenbostal ( hope I spelled that correct) sends banjos to Bob for rehab and neck sets.
    d
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Jan-24-2022 at 8:40pm.

Teacher, repair person

Hope the Duff works out for you.

Bob Smakula's shop is probably the best at restoring the fine old circa 1900 banjos. They reset dowel stick necks as a matter of routine, and they know how to replace those notorious rotting mystery wood fingerboards and peghead overlays and re-use the original inlays.

25. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post

Bob Smakula's shop is probably the best at restoring the fine old circa 1900 banjos. They reset dowel stick necks as a matter of routine, and they know how to replace those notorious rotting mystery wood fingerboards and peghead overlays and re-use the original inlays.
    I had Bob put a new fingerboard on a teens A that had intonation problems. He did a great job and solved the intonation issues once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post

i've seen a few of those that the Smakula shop reuses old inlays on a new fretboard and they look amazing. that type of work and skill totally fascinates me.

the Duff isn't going to happen.

some logistical errors have occurred to the point where i possibly would not be around upon its arrival if shipped(possibly for 30 days or more, and no, i am not going into rehab or Jail).

the policy for returns is 48 hrs, i would not have a return option of course after it sitting/waiting for 30 or more days for my return- i could not have it redirected as i might be moving quickly from place to place during that time.

i would like to mention that Carters Vintage has been exceptional in working thru this with me. if an issue is going to happen with a purchase, i would feel very safe that CV would stand by with excellent customer service and make attempts in every possible way to remedy the situation.

short recap:
    first day i called, a male staff associate discussed two mandolins with me-one being the Duff A that was shipped, i was very specific about wanting 1 11/16" nut width and a flat fretboard. i was told it had both.

upon receipt of the first Duff, i immediately knew it had radius and my left hand let me know it was the radius that does not work for me. i removed strings at the bridge and checked with radius gauges from 1-19 fret areas and found it almost identical to a Collings compound radius-which does not work for me. i called CV and spoke with the female staff associate that had worked thru the purchase with me. it arrived on a thursday, called on that friday letting them know i had to return it and why. in the meantime they spoke with Paul Duff and he confirmed i did indeed have the one Duff mandolin that was currently in their inventory with a compound radius(and that my measurements were correct). it was no problem for a return and CV issued a UPS label that saturday with home pickup due to the mishap. the mandolin would be picked up the following monday 1/24.

monday UPS picked up the mandolin at 9:38 am. i called CV a little after the 10 AM opening time to confirm the mandolin had been picked up. the staff associate that had processed my purchase answered. we talked about the one other Duff in stock, a new A style that would be $1050 more. it was new, had a pickup, evo frets, and double checked to make sure it was a flat board. i decided i would pay the difference and do an exchange. payment went thru and the associate told me the new Duff would arrive friday via UPS. i asked if the new mandolin was going to be shipped that day(monday) or tues. the associate said they had to wait for the return to arrive and it was due on wednesday(it had been shipped 2 day air by CV). soon as the return arrived the new one would be shipped that evening-she said she would go ahead and get it boxed and in wait in the shipping area.

wednesday the return arrived to CV a little after 2pm. i called as soon as it showed up in an email as delivered. i asked if the new one would be shipped that evening(yes). i told her the way UPS works from nashville to lexington: wed shipments arrive friday, thurs shipments arrive monday. told her monday would not work for me-i did not go in detail.

yesterday(wednesday) i checked my email for the typical "your package has been shipped email" but nothing arrived. sometime around 2am this morning i checked and still no email. i knew either it had been shipped and maybe my email was not attached, or it had not been shipped on wednesday eve-that being the case it would
    now be picked up in nashville on thursday evening, go to louisville around midnight, possibly go to lexington by around 5am friday morn, but it would not get sent the last 1.5 hrs to prestonsburg where our local depot for UPS is located. it would sit in lexington, Ky until monday morning and travel on to prestonsburg usually around 5am. get loaded and out for delivery for that day.

this morning i called and spoke with the sales associate and asked if it had been shipped wed evening, she checked and it was still there. somehow in our short discussion wed afternoon, the delivery date was confused and she thought i wanted it held in nashvegas until monday.

i said, "oh no, that will not work, i will not be around for maybe a month or more". told her friday was the last available day i could have received it(UPS does not deliver here on sat or sunday). told her i was sorry but i had no choice but to cancel the purchase. told her to go ahead and make sure it doesn't ship out and have the credit sent back to my account. she asked me to wait for a few minutes in that she had an idea, she came back to the phone and said they were willing to overnight ship it with no extra charge to me. it would arrive friday, assuming no occurrence happens. i said "ok".

we hung up and i had that dome and gloom feeling for a few minutes-tried to ignore it but it was too present. too much had already happened, and what are the chances they ship it and it still didn't arrive, i'm out of town for weeks, it gets broke in shipment or i just don't like it. too many possibles.

then the "gut instinct" kicked in. "gut" told me, "dude, its over, you need to see thru the mist and walk". i stumbled around a few minutes, "gut" came back, "man, you remember all the times i've tried to get your attention and eeeevery time you ignore me its not good for you. hey, your remember 'whats her name', i tried and tried to tell you but nope, you wouldn't listen".

the other thing is if it did arrive by friday and it didn't fit or enthuse, i would be responsible , and rightfully so, for shipping to(overnight) and from. i called the lady back within short period and told her i wasn't comfortable with taking the risk any more. she took care of the matter and thanked me for my patience and was sorry it had not worked out.

soon as we hung up i felt a huge relief and knew the best decision had been made.

i really liked the tone of the Duff i had briefly, but its not something that will drag me down. there are plenty other choices out there and for whatever reason the timing simply wasn't right with this. i'm not a huge fan of A style builds and i much prefer 2 points or F styles as i do use the points when playing(seated always, i don't stand or use a strap).

not wanting to add anything similar as to what i already have tone wise. wanting an entirely different flavor. i have found two interesting deals with Gibson F5-G's that i may pursue. flat boards and 1 1/16" specs, and the dry tone i'm after. there's a very nice Ellis A style that i've looked at, but its too close to the tone i already have, and again that A shape, and i do want to experience a flat board for a while-to see what comes of that.

not into doing builds. only interested in potential buys that i can hold and play. builds have never interested me as i've been around a couple legendary shops that carry high dollar instruments that somebody had built and now for sale-most of the ones i've played i understood why they were for sale. its that Forrest Gump "box of chocolates".

so the end of the story and thread is complete.

appreciate all the replies, answers, ideas, thoughts, pm's, that you fine people have offered. and once again, Carters Vintage is a stand up shop to its customers, they go above the norm in trying to help.
    d
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Jan-27-2022 at 11:07pm.

Wow, man, sorry it didn’t work out. The one you need is out there, just got to time it right. Another to look out for is Skip Kelley’s builds. I have an A5 that straddles the gap between modern and classic tone with a lean towards the classic dry Gibson tone. Sounds equally good playing Wheel Hoss as it does the Prelude to the Cello suites as it does Losing My Religion. Mine is 1’1/8” nut width, but Skip has commented on the Cafe before that he loves to get requests for narrower boards. I paid around 3 grand for mine and haven’t played anything for less than 8 grand I’d trade it for to date. I think 1’ ‘3/16” is my true home, but I can’t imagine myself ever letting this one go. He’s up in Ohio now and often sells through Mandomutt, and by all accounts is great to work with.

BTW, if you need to do some pandemic catharsis, pm me; happy to message or call. We’ve messaged about this some before, but the longer play has been tough for many of us…

30. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I've been following this thread from the beginning and man did you ever give it the old college try. Sometimes things just don't fall into place and it's best just to trust your gut that it wasn't meant to be at this time and it sounds like that is what you did.

Not to worry, more mandolins are coming.

Rob

32. The following members say thank you to robw95 for this post:

Rob, do you know something that we don't?

34. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

here is what came out of all this.

first, a huge shout out to Mandobar for alerting me to the pre-arrival of this beast.

looks old, feels old, sounds old(but tight notes everywhere), plays like new. exceptional set up and fret work, very easy player.
    specs: 1 3/32" nut width, 16" fretboard radius(very close to flat but just enough-i really like this neck size all around). neck profile i will call soft V-not as thin shouldered as a Collings/not as thick shouldered as Webers. depth has a thin taper the full length. light weight, not headstock heavy. adi top, strong mids, tight bass-not mushy or too much, trebles sound full. dry tone, think Gibson but there's something a little different thats a very pleasing tone to have use of. varnish finish.

real special mandolin. The Music Emporium was great to work with on this purchase.

Name:	KIM-F5-1_1800x1800.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	199567

Name:	KIM-F5-4_1800x1800.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	223.8 KB 
ID:	199568

Name:	KIM-F5-5_1800x1800.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	199569

Name:	KIM-F5-7_1800x1800.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	199575

Name:	KIM-F5-8_1800x1800.jpg 
Size:	278.2 KB 
ID:	199570

Name:	KIM-F5-12_1800x1800.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	199571

Name:	KIM-F5-11_1800x1800.jpg 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	199572

Name:	KIM-F5-3_1800x1800.jpg 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	199576

Name:	KIM-F5-14_1800x1800.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	199573

Name:	KIM-F5-15_1800x1800.jpg 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	199574

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

That is some mandolin Daryl. Congrats. When I saw it on ME website I knew it was special.

38. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post: