Thread: Telestar, Teiso, Columbus?

Default Telestar, Teiso, Columbus?

Hi Folks
    I've come across a 1960s Telestar Electric Mandolin. I can't get much info on it apart from it was a make from New York that imported instruments from Japan. They seem to have been also branded as Teisco & Columbus.
    Would anyone know anything about them in terms of build quality?
    Cheers
    Martin

Default Re: Telestar, Teiso, Columbus?

Most of these were imported under a dozen brand names. It's best if you can post an image.

Does it look like the one Ray Jackson is playing in this article?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Teisco was a Japanese manufacturer who made instruments (particularly electric guitars) for the trade as well as their own brands. I believe they were bought out by Kawi in the late 1960's or early 70's. I have seen and played many of the electric guitars. The build quality was not high but acceptable. The quality of the tuners, bridges, and electronics was often poor.

Thanks for your replies. Here are some photos. It actuallyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando1.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	198801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	198802 sounds nice, but I guessed the quality may be poor.

I have one that looks just like that. They are built pretty heavy like most 70's era Japanese instruments were but the most likely best known mandolin solo was played on the same model.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thanks Mike. I suppose the obvious observation is that if it was that bad you probably wouldn’t have one. How much would it be worth do you think?

I wish I could tell you. I got burned when I bought mine. Check out Cafe member mrmando's www.emando.com. He usually has a few for sale as well as historical information.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thanks Mike
    I’m new to the forum but was wondering if it was possible for me to message you for some advice off line. I don’t know how you do this or if it’s permitted.

You can send a private message by clicking on a users name and selecting Private Message. I don't know how much help I can be.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

The mandolin is basically a cosmetic copy of the Kay 390 which was introduced in 1960- a Venetian shape Kay began making in the 1930s. I believe Columbus was a brand used by a British dealer and the most celebrated Columbus electric mandolin was the one used by Ray Jackson of the folk rock band Lindisfarne. Lindisfarne was a monster band in the early 1970s and my first concert in October or November 1972 was headline by Lindisfarne, so I saw this mandolin being played by Ray. Here is an article about him and the mandolin: https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pu...ns_00938.shtml

Thanks Nick
    It would be really useful to get some idea on value. Are we talking about $50 or $500. Are cannot get any idea eventhough I am seeking guidance from emando.

Many thanks

I have seen a few of these mandolins on eBay and they go for a few hundred dollars- it depends on the condition. If you search for Kay mandolins on eBay you see the Kay electric mandolin for sale at ridiculous prices. The Kay pear shaped electric mandolin- the only real difference is its shape, its electrickery is the same are far more reasonable and they were made from the early 1950s onward. Obviously, one of these Japanese mandolins in good order might be $400 or more and I assume, they were pretty well built as were many of the electric guitars from the same era and arguably many were as good as instruments made in the USA. I have a Japanese 335 and the Gibson original and I am not qualified to make a comparison- but to me, the Japanese instrument appears to be every bit as good as the Gibson. I have a friend who was a professional guitarist for decades and had his own music shop and he has joked that the Japanese guitar may be better but he has not seen it! They are both 1958 dot spot versions- the Gibson being a 1980s reissue which my friend has seen and thought was really great.

Take a look at these- the link in the middle does not work- it was a Teisco mandolin:

https://reverb.com/item/1431719-1960...apan-w-gig-bag

everb.com/uk/item/47766845-electric-mandolin-octave-guitar-teisco-japanese-sunburster-1960s-sunburst?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_camp aign=12200508927&utm_content=campaignid=1220050892 7_adgroupid=115920727614_productpartitionid=125719 7538150=merchantid=532876699_productid=47766845_ke yword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=49 5081226236&gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP0pkwta4V 8EKFC1OW7e53IDMTDnjeHvVvLiN7dLZM6jCuwDRoOycGRoCAno QAvD_BwE

https://reverb.com/uk/item/482350-co...-maggie-may-19

Keep in mind that asking prices are not what things sell for. I paid $125.00 for mine with a case and I overpaid. YMMV.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Here's one that sold recently on eBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/39368212731...MAAOSwlXBhhsYY
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber