Thread: Question for users of Audacity app--multiple devices?

Blog Entries

Default Question for users of Audacity app--multiple devices?

I'm looking for an app to use to slow down recorded music so I can practice learning by ear. Audacity seems to be one of the top choices, but I can't find information on whether, if I download it to Device A, I can access the edited tracks/recordings on Device B? In other words, I'm learning a song, and want to focus on bars 8-12. I can probably snip out that portion to loop--but if I do that on my Tablet, on Audacitycan I then access what I've snipped on my phone or computer? If not on Audacity, on ASD? Some other program?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Default Re: Question for users of Audacity app--multiple devices?

You would need to use a file-sharing platform like iCloud or Google Drive to store the clip, and then open it in Audacity from there.

Blog Entries

Gotcha. But how do I perform the edit to extract (in my example) bars 8-12 in order to save them on Drive?

(Are you the same guy who posts on Bike Forums?)
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

That would depend somewhat on the app you are using, and whether you are using iOS or Android, but most decent audio apps have a "Share" feature. If you also have Google Drive installed, you will see the icon for that somewhere after you click the "Share" button in the app.

I don't think I've ever posted on a bike forum.

So, this isn't specific to Audacity but, I do what you're describing with Spotify and Amazing Slow Downer. Create a playlist in Spotify and add the song(s). Then configure ASD to access you Spotify Play lists (wrench > "Spotify Play List Support" = On). I don't know if your loops will "follow" you on a different devices but, they are easy enough to create once you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps.

To slow down recorded music, I use the official posts on You Tube. In the settings, you can set the speed to 1/2 or 3/4. It won’t let you pinpoint the speed setting any more specifically than that, though, but that works well enough for me.

I also really like the Strum Machine app for practicing bluegrass, since they have an extensive library that keeps expanding. Also, it lets you create rhythm tracks for any song or tune —- not necessarily bluegrass —- you want. With that app, you can set the BPM by 1’s, and you can also set it to increase the speed incrementally by units of your choice.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    To slow down recorded music, I use the official posts on You Tube. In the settings, you can set the speed to 1/2 or 3/4. It won’t let you pinpoint the speed setting any more specifically than that, though, but that works well enough for me.

I also really like the Strum Machine app for practicing bluegrass, since they have an extensive library that keeps expanding. Also, it lets you create rhythm tracks for any song or tune —- not necessarily bluegrass —- you want. With that app, you can set the BPM by 1’s, and you can also set it to increase the speed incrementally by units of your choice.
    I wish YouTube didn't distort the sound when I've tried using the slowdown function on it. Is it just a RAM issue? I should have enough on my tablet and phone but it never seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    I'm looking for an app to use to slow down recorded music so I can practice learning by ear. ... Some other program?
    VLC player

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It can play and convert almost any format and can slow music down - and it's also free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainer73 View Post
    I wish YouTube didn't distort the sound when I've tried using the slowdown function on it. Is it just a RAM issue? I should have enough on my tablet and phone but it never seems to work.
    I don't know the tech behind the distortion, but I just played a YT on my ancient desktop that connects to our modem/router by ethernet, and I still get some audio distortion at the reduced speeds, and 1/2-speed is slightly worse than 3/4-speed. I don't think it would be an internet speed issue, since the audio and video are being drawn in at a slower rate, but I'm really not sure about that.

I tolerate the distortion because I'm only using a slowed-down video to play along with and pick off the melody notes. I certainly wouldn't listen to one for enjoyment.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories