Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where did you find your last mando?

Resident Hack

Default Re: Where did you find your last mando?

Straight from Skip Kelley.

I was about to pull the trigger on a custom two-point from Weber, when I saw a pic of a Kelley two-point. Got in touch through here, things were a match and I still couldn't be happier. This mando is honestly the most wonderful thing in my house (family, aside)
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Mark, that’s an amazing story! Even my wife, who hates banjo but saw Bêla and Chris Thile with me before the pandemic, was in awe (she recognizes how good Bela and Noam Pickelny are, just hates the banjo; she’s pretty awesome).

I’ll second the Kelley mojo. My A5 is spectacular. I can’t say it’s cured MAS, but it has put it into remission for a couple of years now…

Two more this week from SGW. One may not have even been a mandolin, the other French-style from Vietnam. Will be lots of fun learning what they might do, and helping them recover from whatever ills they have. All these things have something to say.

Mando mutt f9 gibby and redline/ steve smith a redline.

Right from Peter Sawchyn himself.

Rob

Because the question is "the last mandolin" it would be my Mid-Mo M2 spruce top / maple body. I have the bluegrass related instruments I wanted but I had been getting more into Irish / Canadian fiddle tunes and was looking for a bright sounding flattop and checked the classifieds daily. The MM had been on my radar because of the great feedback on that maker from this forum. It took a while, maybe 6 months, but I wasn't in any big hurry. When it hit the classifieds I jumped on it immediately. Great instrument, great price, great person to deal with.
    There are no shops locally that I can just drop into (the closest being in Rochester NY Two hours away - Hi Allen) so I trust the individuals and great vendors that support this sight. Four of my six mandolins have been as a result of this site. Great resource that I really appreciate and trust.

All 3 through Cafe classifieds, 2 on faith and one that I was able to play prior to purchase. Each was at a favorable price, and each was previously owned by multiple owners. All were in playable condition upon receipt, and all exhibited issues that eventually needed to be addressed. One had weird string spacing requiring setup with new nut and bridge. One had an unsuitable replacement bridge and saddle that created high action; repair pending. Another needed a refret after only a couple years.

Not complaining, just pointing out that a good deal on a used instrument may require further investment down the road. I suppose I could have returned each one, but I was happy with them despite the imperfections. And when the next one comes along I’ll have a longer list of questions to ask.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

I called Randy Wood and had him make me my F 5.

Two weeks ago I walked into The Music Emporium to pick up another instrument and I saw these, hanging in the instrument case behind the counter....and I was all set for yet another set of Campanella copies. Boy, was I wrong. Patrick Toole is a luthier from South Carolina, who made these while living in Virginia. He is a very skilled violin maker, who works through a variety of violin dealers (he does not sell direct). I believe he worked for David Gage (who owns a very well-known violin restoration business in Tribeca-NYC). After a recent move to Philadelphia Peter sent these to Ian at TME to assess.

All I can say is WOW!

They are as exquisite sounding as they are beautiful to look at. I played them with our trio last Sunday and we were all astounded at how amazing they sound. The mandolin does it all: Irish, Choro, Old Time, and even Bluegrass!!!!

These are the MOST refreshing new instruments I have played in years. I believe TME will be representing him going forward.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandogirls.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	198920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandogirls2.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	198921
    Last edited by Mandobar; Jan-20-2022 at 9:01pm.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Peter Toole is a luthier from South Carolina, who made these while living in Virginia.
    Well he was amazing in Lawrence of Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Well he was amazing in Lawrence of Arabia
    Toole, not O’Toole. And my gaffe, his first name is Patrick.

Big difference in age too.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

13. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Down to three. The El Rey is most recent, from a local brick and mortar dealer. The 515 was from TMS back in the AZ days. Finally, Stealie is custom made by Andrew Jerman in Indiana. FWIW, the last two I sold were vis the Café.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

From most recent on:

Used from GC
    Custom build
    From TMS
    Used from Reverb
    From CL
    From a local shop

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no such thing as a "last mando." There will always, always, always be another one.

Oh, wait - did you mean "latest mando?" Oh, I see. That's very different.

Never mind.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

My favorite story is about my '23 A2. I was at a client's house and the guy is one of those "gotta try everything once" types. He knew I played mandolin and mentioned he had one he bought a decade earlier but never got into. (I love it when I hear this story as well as "my grandfather used to play mandolin"...) He asked if I'd like to see it! It took me about ten seconds to fall in love. It is beyond incredible sounding. The finish has no checks in it and the only issue was a lid ding he put in it. He sold it to me and was happy to get the $1000 he paid for it. This was in 2013 or so. It's definitely a lifetime mandolin.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all shop local! There would be nothing better than stopping into a local store and giving a few mandolins a try. I did buy my first "good" mandolin local, well sort of local (1 1/2 hrs away). They had a great selection of both F's and A's hanging on the wall, maybe 15 of each from various builders. When I look at their website and weekly newsletter now the inventory has dwindled to a few lower end of a pretty good import brand, certainly not the selection I first encountered 10 years ago. Really sad, quite pathetic. I stopped into the local GC last week, which I rarely do, to try to buy some tenor banjo strings for my banjo mandolin. Not only did they not have the strings but not one mandolin hanging on the wall. Yes, shopping local would be wonderful but for most of us I would say it is not possible. The classifieds on the cafe led me to both of my recent purchases.

20. The following members say thank you to Steve Mead for this post:

I feel fortunate to live within an hour of a great music store.

In a pile of wood.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

23. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

Right here in the classifieds…

The very last one was a recent gift. A friend of mine teaches piano and has an elderly student who had his father's bowlback and he wanted someone to actually play it. Before that I did a trade with one the Cafe denizen's for a vintage guitar and that mandolin is the one I mostly play these days.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all shop local! There would be nothing better than stopping into a local store and giving a few mandolins a try....Yes, shopping local would be wonderful but for most of us I would say it is not possible.
    A story that could be echoed in many cities and towns. Sorta like the extinction of local bookstores by Borders and Barnes & Noble, followed by their extinction, or at least diminution, by on-line sellers.

Local specialty bookstores do persist, here and there, and there are still new and vintage instrument dealers where you can walk in, pull some mandolins down off the wall or from their glass cases, and try them out, comparison-shop, pick your "fave" -- plus, where you can get strings, picks, accessories, method books, possibly lessons. And get your mandolin repaired or adjusted. And trade it in on your new "fave."

Hate to say it, but those of us who chase the lowest prices, who consider it more important to save $100 on a $1K mandolin, than to keep the "local guy" in business, share some of the blame for the spreading "mandolin deserts" we're experiencing. Yeah, sure, strings are cheaper on-line, and the internet seller's got a larger inventory of stands or cases or whatever, and you can get pointers from a world-class picker on YouTube, rather than the "music studio" in your neck of the woods.

But the result's what Steve M's describing: declining accessible inventories, stores going kaput -- and, non-quantifiable as it is, the loss of those instrument shops where the owner knows your name, says, "Ya know, I just got in this mandolin you should take a look at," gives you a "good customer" deal on six sets of D'Addarios. I really like buying my instruments from my friends in the business; not that I don't dicker with them over prices, or complain a bit when they keep my Waldo mandocello three months before they fix that crack in the top.

Long story short, I'm still beating the "buy local" drum. And if you can't, how about "buy regional?" Or even take an overnight road trip to one of the dealers that still tries to maintain a significant inventory and a full-service mandolin dealership?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

MandoMutt
    J.Lane Pryce

Blog Entries

John Hamlett’s workshop. :-)
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Just received my new The Loar LM 700 today from Music Link; discovered a defect in the fretboard of my 2020 700, sent it back under warranty, and they sent me a new replacement.
    I can't say enough about Music Link customer service.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Latest was a 50's Harmony-made Stella from a pawn shop, clean and came with a recent hardshell case.....let me explain, last summer I had a health scare, which required a week-long stay in the hospital. I'm doing well now, but the follow-up is taking a bunch of meds and frequent doctor appointments. Since I live in a rural location, the doctor visits are an hour to two hours away and sometimes 2-3 visits a month. So, to offset the drudgery of the doctor appointments, when I go to the "big city" I allow extra time to visit the music stores, pawn shops, restaurants, etc. -- makes it more fun for me.