Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow down software

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Slow down software

I’ve mentioned in the past that I use and prefer the program called Transcribe! to slow down audio and video files, I like it a lot, I also use The Amazing Slowdowner on my iPhone in conjunction with my phone music library and Apple Music library.

The developer of Transcribe! does an unusual thing, on their website they list a large number of slowdowner programs with links to each - so I’m posting a link to that page here. That way, anyone interested in checking out different slowdown software programs can have a pretty comprehensive list to choose from.

I have no financial interest in any of this, hope it helps someone.

https://www.seventhstring.com/resour...scription.html
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Slow down software

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    I’ve mentioned in the past that I use and prefer the program called Transcribe! to slow down audio and video files, I like it a lot, I also use The Amazing Slowdowner on my iPhone in conjunction with my phone music library and Apple Music library.

The developer of Transcribe! does an unusual thing, on their website they list a large number of slowdowner programs with links to each - so I’m posting a link to that page here. That way, anyone interested in checking out different slowdown software programs can have a pretty comprehensive list to choose from.

I have no financial interest in any of this, hope it helps someone.

https://www.seventhstring.com/resour...scription.html
    That is way more options than I expected. I use the free Music Speed Changer app for Android which is not on the list

I use Audiostretch for video and audio, a little basic and clunky but does the job for me.

https://www.audiostretch.com/
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I just use the speed control on YouTube. Handy and cheap for lazy and cheap folks like me.
    Barry

2020 Northfield 4th Gen #14
    Pavel Sucek F-5 w/Skip Kelly top
    1996 BellMaster F-5 (Carl Cates)
    A bunch of fiddles and a couple D-28s

6. The following members say thank you to Bacfire for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bacfire View Post
    I just use the speed control on YouTube. Handy and cheap for lazy and cheap folks like me.
    I would use that option if I could. My main need is to slow down MP4 that I take when I have a lesson so I can refer to it later. Is there anything that will easily slow down the MP4 and not change the pitch? I am not particularly tech savvy, so a simple to use app is best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    I would use that option if I could. My main need is to slow down MP4 that I take when I have a lesson so I can refer to it later. Is there anything that will easily slow down the MP4 and not change the pitch? I am not particularly tech savvy, so a simple to use app is best for me.
    Windows Media Player has a speed control. It's not all that intuitive to find and works on limited file formats. I know it works on MP3s, so I suspect it would work on MP4s. When I've used it, it does not appear to change pitch, but I haven't researched the specs to confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Windows Media Player has a speed control. It's not all that intuitive to find and works on limited file formats. I know it works on MP3s, so I suspect it would work on MP4s. When I've used it, it does not appear to change pitch, but I haven't researched the specs to confirm that.
    I neglected to mention I'm on a Chromebook. I don't think I can use Windows. Thanks for the idea, though.

If you have good upload speed you can post the vids to YouTube privately, then watch them on any browser or device.
    Barry

2020 Northfield 4th Gen #14
    Pavel Sucek F-5 w/Skip Kelly top
    1996 BellMaster F-5 (Carl Cates)
    A bunch of fiddles and a couple D-28s

QuickTime also has a playback speed control, it works, but like YouTube and Windows Media Player, it’s pretty limited. Still works though, and it’s suitable for doing your transcription work if that’s all you have or want.

- YouTube Stuff

In the following video, ship to 2:10 where I show how to slow down with Windows Media Player, or 3:13 where I show how to slow down QuickTime

https://youtu.be/uj736-HXO0c

- YouTube Stuff

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

That's so cool! I never knew that was there. And it's been there all along. Real easy to use. I had to figure out how to isolate/highlight the single track - I always just let albums play in WMP - but once I did that ... ta da! Thanks so much!

Wish I'd known about this last year when I had to learn Toto's "Africa" for a wedding. I figured something out some other way, I don't remember how now. I don't think it was with Reaper, my multi-track recording program, though that would certainly work. A good bit more complicated than this, though.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The amazing slower downer has been my favorite for a while. It can slow down songs, change keys, can automatically loop segments and can store like 9 preset segments so you don't have to search for "that part".

The key changing part of this software is awesome... you can change by half steps etc but also by cents (great for old recordings that may be slightly out of tune on the recording)

15. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    The amazing slower downer has been my favorite for a while. It can slow down songs, change keys, can automatically loop segments and can store like 9 preset segments so you don't have to search for "that part".

The key changing part of this software is awesome... you can change by half steps etc but also by cents (great for old recordings that may be slightly out of tune on the recording)
    It’s the playback quality, looping capabilities, pitch control and ease of use for both video and audio files that make Transcribe! and/or Amazing Slowdowner my own favourites

- YouTube Stuff

I've been using Transcribe! for a long time. Does everything I need it to do. Lots of free updates over the years.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I also have Transcriber! I just piddle with mandolin & guitar.....and I especially like it for isolating a part of a tune & wrap around to play it over & over till I get a section of a tune down really good in my head, then isolate another section & do the same. It is a great program.

Does Transcribe (or Amazing Slow Downer) play MP4s as well? I record the new things I'm working on from my mandolin and guitar lessons. I take a video on my phone and then play it on my Chromebook. But the video player doesn't allow me to slow it down. I use Video Frame Player for learning it at a slower place but it changes the pitch. If either Transcribe or ASD can play MP4s they might be a good app for me.

Does Transcribe (or Amazing Slow Downer) play MP4s as well? I record the new things I'm working on from my mandolin and guitar lessons. I take a video on my phone and then play it on my Chromebook. But the video player doesn't allow me to slow it down. I use Video Frame Player for learning it at a slower place but it changes the pitch. If either Transcribe or ASD can play MP4s they might be a good app for me.
    ASD does open and play the sound from mp4s. ASD also has the ability to set loops at one speed and then increase speed by a percent after one more more loops. I started using it to work on playing up to speed. Started at 70% and looped my way each time 5% faster until I reached the full speed. Excellent feature that I imagine a few users are unaware of.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Rdeane 

Blog Entries

Wondering whether Mark (thanks so much for the tip) or anyone else knows, is there a way to save an audio file after slowing it down in Windows Media Player? I haven't found one yet. Thanks!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I find the extra features with the Amazing Slowdowner worth the modest investment. The various EQ options and fine-tuned speed and pitch controls make it easier to isolate parts for learning than with other apps I've tried.

Unexpected bonus: I do occasional phone or in-person interviews for stories I write for SFCV, and the ASD is really helpful for playing back the recorded interviews at exactly the right pace for typing up the transcriptions.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

24. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    I find the extra features with the Amazing Slowdowner worth the modest investment. The various EQ options and fine-tuned speed and pitch controls make it easier to isolate parts for learning than with other apps I've tried.

Unexpected bonus: I do occasional phone or in-person interviews for stories I write for SFCV, and the ASD is really helpful for playing back the recorded interviews at exactly the right pace for typing up the transcriptions.
    ASD works well, but I don't understand why the PC version is so much more expensive then the IoS or Android versions

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Wondering whether Mark (thanks so much for the tip) or anyone else knows, is there a way to save an audio file after slowing it down in Windows Media Player? I haven't found one yet. Thanks!
    Neither WMP nor QuickTime can save slowed versions, of course Amazing Slowdowner and Transcribe can do that.

Transcribe! Will slow down both the video and the audio of mp4 files. You must install QuickTime to use that video feature.

Transcribe! does not have a mobile phone version, but The Amazing Slowdowner does. I use Transcribe! Exclusively on my laptop, and amazing Slowdowner on my iPhone.

- YouTube Stuff

27. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks! I'll have to mull over how often and how intently I may use this. At this point, for the few times I expect to use it, the WMP approach may be enough. I do have this feature in my multi-track recording program; I just have to figure out how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    ASD works well, but I don't understand why the PC version is so much more expensive then the IoS or Android versions
    I have always wondered that. Wish it was like Strum Machine where your account is the same on pc vs. smartphone or whatever.
    Northfield A5 Special #60

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fowler View Post
    I have always wondered that. Wish it was like Strum Machine where your account is the same on pc vs. smartphone or whatever.
    The big difference is that Strummachine is a web-based subscription service. The others are programs that you license one time & install on your device.

Edit: We’ll, actually, an even bigger difference is that Strummachine doesn’t slow down loop, change pitch, etc. for audio files. It uses their library of chord progressions & allows you to create your own chord progressions as well. I subscribed to it for two years, then decided to license a little program for my laptop that allows me to create chord progressions in many genre, export midi for use in my DAW, play along with the program itself like strummachine

- YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    The big difference is that Strummachine is a web-based subscription service. The others are programs that you license one time & install on your device.

Edit: We’ll, actually, an even bigger difference is that Strummachine doesn’t slow down loop, change pitch, etc. for audio files. It uses their library of chord progressions & allows you to create your own chord progressions as well. I subscribed to it for two years, then decided to license a little program for my laptop that allows me to create chord progressions in many genre, export midi for use in my DAW, play along with the program itself like strummachine
    ASD for Windows or Mac is $50 but only $10 for Android. Is this license fees? is it 5 times harder to develop software for Windows?