Thread: 2013 Gibson Fern Tuners

Default 2013 Gibson Fern Tuners

What are these tuners and can they be bought and if so from where? I searched and am really confused why this is so hard… you’d think this would be a pretty common topic, maybe I’m just not searching correctly. I read on one forum that Gibson used Grover but the ones I see over at SM don’t look like mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B4CC6C8-F479-4667-BFCA-49CAF9BE94AC.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	405.3 KB 
ID:	198999  

Default Re: 2013 Gibson Fern Tuners

What tuners do I have is a popular topic , It really does not matter to the music you play , in reality..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I haven't followed thing Gibson much lately, but in the early days of Gibson using modern Grover mandolin tuners they had the ends of the plates cut shorter and perhaps other modifications done to them like different buttons. The idea was to reduce the weight slightly and to have them look a little more like "vintage" tuners if I'm not mistaken. Those tuners were commonly called "Gibson Grovers", and at the time Gibson was the only source. I don't know about availability nowadays, but I do think your pic is of Gibson Grovers.

4. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Those are Gibson Grover tuners that were manufactured only for Gibson. They were made to be drop in replacements for the Schaller's that Gibson had been using. They are normal modern post spacing, the only thing you need to replace them is to get worm under tuners that have long enough button stems to clear the headstock. Modern Grover's might not do that as they are fairly short. Are you looking to replace them or for parts? There are silver sets around used that I know of. Dave Harvey can generally replace buttons (or he could a few years ago). I don't know if he has complete sets or not. Don't even bother contacting Gibson customer service. You need to go directly to Dave.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22g...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jan-22-2022 at 9:58pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Those are Gibson Grover tuners that were manufactured only for Gibson. They were made to be drop in replacements for the Schaller's that Gibson had been using. They are normal modern post spacing, the only think you need to replace them is to get worm under tuners that have long enough button stems to clear the headstock. Modern Grovers might notdo that as they are fairly short. Are you looking to replace them or for parts? There are silver sets around used that I know of. Dave Harvey can generally replace buttons (or he could a few years ago). I don't know if he has complete sets or not. Don't even bother contacting Gibson customer service. You need to go directly to Dave.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22g...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply, to answer your questions, no I’m not interested in replacing them but just wanted to know what to do if in the future they wear out because I like them and don’t think Waverly’s are a great fit and which are absurdly priced and yes you are correct that the stem length would be too short on those regardless. Also you helped me understand the difference in the ones on my mandolin vs. the ones that SM sells.

I may reach out to Dave, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by drewbarries View Post
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply, to answer your questions, no I’m not interested in replacing them but just wanted to know what to do if in the future they wear out because I like them and don’t think Waverly’s are a great fit and which are absurdly priced and yes you are correct that the stem length would be too short on those regardless. Also you helped me understand the difference in the ones on my mandolin vs. the ones that SM sells.

I may reach out to Dave, thanks!
    I replaced the silver ones on my 2005 F5G with Waverly's. These Gibson Grover's are excellent tuners and I wish they still made them. The A style tuners actually showed up new on eBay a few years back being closed out. I had an opportunity to speak to someone at Grover years back and they didn't seem to see any value in continuing making them. I honestly think they would have done well with them. I'm sure there were contract considerations with Gibson as well. Good luck.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

100% Gibson Grovers.

They are exactly the same as on my 1990 Gibson F5.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Blog Entries

I have these very tuners I bought off ebay about 6-8 mths ago. The guy said he was switching over to waverlies. I knew right off the bat they were great tuners. I also wasn't 100% sure so I contacted Danny Roberts and he confirmed Gibson Grovers. Mine are satin Nickel not gold.

I replaced the tuners on my 2016 Fern with Grovers from Stewmac - they fit perfectly