Thread: CMC Thumb joint arthritis and braces

Default CMC Thumb joint arthritis and braces

I have been experiencing some difficulty with my left thumb joint, CMC (the closest joint to the wrist). This has been my third episode. I find it debilitating. Have you experienced this and are you able to play with a brace? Thanks

Default Re: CMC Thumb joint arthritis and braces

I am having problems from this in both hands, no brace yet. I find not doing things that require gripping from the thumb to help, especially before playing. It bothers when I play, but so far I can deal with it. A friend of mine wears a sort of brace on both hands. More elastic than a brace, but it supports and it helps keep it heated some, I believe.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Yes! My surgeon says related to my extreme carpal tunnel. Same pain as you describe along with other hand and wrist pains/tingling/and some times no feeling in tips of fingers. The pain in the thumb joint associated with muscle loss resulting from years of not addressing my carpal tunnel syndrome.
    Dealing with it next week when I get my left done followed by right 3 weeks later.
    I find snug elasticized wrist warmers helpful while playing mandolin and arthritic compression gloves while sleeping. Tried playing with a wrist brace difficult.
    Good luck with what ever helps.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Don't forget to always use a strap... even when sitting. This saves the left hand from having to support a bunch of unnecessary weight.

The pain from thumb CMC joint has several origins. Arthritis and inflammation of the surrounding capsule are usual causes and often can be helped a great deal with anti-inflammatory meds (oral and topical) as well as injected cortisone. Hand ergonomics as mentioned can also help. There is help for this condition Doug C in snowy Vermont

thanks to all. I have been in a rest mode for a few days and it seems better. I also have made numerous applicatiosn of Voltaren with a little tylenol. "bones12" what is "doug C in Vermont"?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I have had thumb joint issues off and on for a few years. A legacy of studying and playing Cuban bata drums for a good decade during a mandolin hiatus.

Add to that, I'm an architect and have struggled with carpal tunnel syndrome since I first switched from a rapidograph to a mouse.

On the recommendation of my PT I bought one of these paraffin baths for my hands.

It wasn't cheap but it has proved an invaluable aid. Indescribable.
    I kept the heat on and the wax molten when I was doing the treatment daily when the problems first arose.
    Now I only need to use it on rare occasions.

I haven't tried using it as a slow cooker yet, but it might double as one in a pinch.

We bought one for a ceramic artist / potter friend who reports similar beneficial results.

Of course, everyone's hands are different as well as any problems associated with such complex components.

I wish you the same good results I have had.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

8. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Having had similar left thumb issues for a number of years, probably 4-5 years ago, on the advice of my PT, got this thumb splint, which I wear every night, when sleeping. It has helped quite a bit in keeping symptoms to a minimum. https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Cool-.../dp/B0052ZWISU

10. The following members say thank you to snakehead_a2z for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by snakehead_a2z View Post
    Having had similar left thumb issues for a number of years, probably 4-5 years ago, on the advice of my PT, got this thumb splint, which I wear every night, when sleeping. It has helped quite a bit in keeping symptoms to a minimum. https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Cool-.../dp/B0052ZWISU
    I've had a few just like this one over the years. One actually made of thin fiberglass that was lightweight but very itchy.
    Wearing it at night is crucial as my PT recommended as yours did, too.
    Unfortunately, I couldn't abide with it in bed.
    And neither could my wife.

During the worst years of my CTS I was wearing one on both hands all day in the office. There was a thin aluminum insert that fitted in to help hold my hand geometry in a proper position. It took the better part of 9 months for the CTS to clear up, but it did and I avoided surgery.

Of course I was ducking out of the office to go to my bata drumming classes which certainly wasn't helping things. When I realized I didn't want Mongo Santamaria hands, I regretfully moved away from hand drumming.

Never tried to play mandolin with it on, but it was very helpful during the worst times of my problems, thankfully in a bit of remission of late.

It's a tough problem to deal with and makes one really appreciate the "opposable thumb".

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

12. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Have you tried modifying your technique - taking the pressure off your thumb?

L hand CMC chased me out of classical guitar - my life since age 10. I still play a bit of flamenco, but have to put it down before exacerbation; classical music utilizes too much L hand vigor however, requiring some use of the thumb.

I'm able to play on narrow necked instruments - cello, oud, all the four-coursed CBOM (my five-coursed are problematic), so I'm still fairly happy.

14. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Blog Entries

In early winter a couple of years ago I began noticing this... Started with pain, then finally culminated with very painful left thumb and right ring trigger fingers. I tried a number of topical things that really didn't help, and generally I don't take OTC pain meds unless I absolutely have to. I saw a primary physician and went to a DPT; surgery wasn't an option for my situation so we used braces. Braces started 24x7 at first, then after a couple of weeks went to just at night.

I also made some changes in my instrument playing. On the mandolin I stopped leveraging my left thumb along the approximate center-line of the neck, instead running it along the bass side of the neck just below the binding. This dramatically reduced tension on the thumb while fretting and after I got used to it, it felt more "right" for the mandolin neck work. It also helped with banjo, and even double bass neck work a little.

On the 5-string banjo, I stopped folding my right ring finger under my hand as I fingerpicked (this was Rodney Dillard and John Hickman style). The right ring finger became stiff anyway, so because of that it wasn't so hard to keep it straight anymore. After a few weeks of practicing this way it started feeling natural and actually pretty relaxed, which is a good thing.

At this time, going on a couple of years down the road, my left thumb is back to about 95% of its flexibility and strength, while the right ring finger is at about 50% to 60% of its original flexibility and strength. For the most part, neither of them trigger much anymore, but the right ring finger remains pretty stiff most of the time and it can hurt if I overdo things. I can move the right ring finger enough to type with, but it's affected my handwriting and lifting with the right hand, and it's affected my ability to slap on my double bass a little.

I'm no longer wearing the braces at night unless the hands are extremely sore, although I will wear the braces when driving for long periods because when I am holding a curved steering wheel the fingers will try to lock in the trigger position again. Also, I wash dishes at least twice a day which really helps loosen up the joints and also relieves pain.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

16. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

Because of extreme arthritis in my thumbs, in December I had what is called a Arthroscopic Trapeziectomy With Suture Button Suspensionplasty. The recovery time is less than with some of the other options, and I have carefully been playing again about 6 weeks after the surgery. (and the pain seems to be gone) I think this will work for me for the years to come. I probably will have to do the same with my right thumb next year, but the voltaren does help.
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

18. The following members say thank you to David Rambo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Rambo View Post
    Because of extreme arthritis in my thumbs, in December I had what is called a Arthroscopic Trapeziectomy With Suture Button Suspensionplasty. The recovery time is less than with some of the other options, and I have carefully been playing again about 6 weeks after the surgery. (and the pain seems to be gone) I think this will work for me for the years to come. I probably will have to do the same with my right thumb next year, but the voltaren does help.
    Here's a link to some information about the procedure that David referenced.

No "thumbs up" emoji option here at the MC.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

20. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I appreciate the info on the "Arthroscopic Trapeziectomy With Suture Button Suspensionplasty", but I am going to continue treatment with paraffin baths annd braces while striving not to over stress in other heavy work. All this recent pain was caused by moving a substantial pile of bricks. It seems that the torque of picking them up did it for me. I hope I never have to resort to the kind of surgery discussed above. However, I very much appreciate you input and consideration. At this moment I can play even if I have to be careful which mandolin to play; the one with larger neck work best. Thanks to all!

22. The following members say thank you to J.C. Bryant for this post:

I have left hand Basal joint arthritis too. At one point thought I would have to stop playing, but have adjusted my technique and am not limited by the arthritis now.

I found that, at least in my case, using a brace was counterproductive. It splints the upper thumb joints and focuses all the pressure right on the basal joint. So, i save the brace for when i'm carrying something or otherwise stressing that thumb, and leave it off when i play.

Be careful, since once the damage is done, it's done.

24. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post: