Thread: Crestline 'Mandolin'?

Default Crestline 'Mandolin'?

I was given this Crestline CR300NT recently. I assumed it was a standard mandolin until I started trying to tune it. The distance between the bridge and nut is longer and it has a lot less frets than my Washburn. Can someone tell me what it is and how it should be tuned?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220125_123412.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	449.0 KB 
ID:	199059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220125_123417.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	199060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220125_123420.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	199061

Default Re: Crestline 'Mandolin'?

Measurements: Fretboard is approx 9 3/4", 18 frets, length between bridge and nut is 15 1/4". Just curious if this is some other type of mandolin so that I can figure out how to tune it.

Measure distance from zero fret to 12th fret and double it; that the nominal scale length(actual will be slightly longer-maybe 1/8"). I suspect bridge is located incorrectly.
    benny

Thanks I'll do that. And did you notice that there is a fret very close to what I thought would have been the nut? It is like that first fret is functioning as the nut.

Distance from nut (that first fret is actually functioning as the nut and 12 fret is just over 7". Distance from 12th to bridge is 8.5". So do you think all I have to do is loosen the strings and bring the bridge forward to make the distance from 12th to bridge equal the distance from nut to 12th?

The fret close to the nut is called the "zero" fret. That's the one you should measure scale length from; all the strings should be touching it. The "nut" in this case is just locating the strings side to side on the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by jfishstik View Post
    Distance from nut (that first fret is actually functioning as the nut and 12 fret is just over 7". Distance from 12th to bridge is 8.5". So do you think all I have to do is loosen the strings and bring the bridge forward to make the distance from 12th to bridge equal the distance from nut to 12th?
    Yes. The f-holes should be placed such that the notches are right where the bridge goes, but for a low end mandolin there is no guarantee.

Perfect. Thank you so much. Very educational. I'll be re-stringing and relocating the bridge. I'll post again in this thread when it is done. Thanks again.

To fine tune the bridge location you should use a tuner and make sure the harmonic at the twelfth fret matches the note of the 12th fret fretted string on the G and E strings. This should be approximately double the distance from the nut to the twelfth fret but will probably be adjusted slightly. If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic move the bridge toward the tailpiece If it is flat move it towards the nut. It should not be more than about an eighth or 3/16 inch difference from doubling the twelfth fret length but will play in tune better.

You'll find many of these in this 10-year-old thread.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

There is a ton of bad information online about Crestline online but I think this is correct:

Crestline was the house brand for Grossman Music Corp of Cleveland, Ohio who were musical instrument importers / distributors. They were acquired by Grover Musical Products.
    These mandolins were imported under dozens of brand names. As far as setup goes Cafe member Rob Meldrum offers a fee e-book on setting up a mandolin. He bases his on the inexpensive Rogue mandolins but most would be easily applied to this mandolin as well.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220126_130856.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	338.9 KB 
ID:	199098
    OK, all done. New strings and moved the bridge. You can see in the light area how far off it was. Now 12th fret is a harmonic of the zero fret. New strings and it plays ok. Thanks!

The bridge is still not centered correctly on the top. It's correct for the scale length, but it's still offset to the treble side (as in the original pics), meaning the strings aren't referenced to the instrument's centerline. It's making the strings "drift" toward treble as they ascend on the fretboard. Loosen the strings & balance the distance between bridge's ends & the f-holes.
    Monte

Northfield F2S
    Weber Yellowstone Octave F

16. The following members say thank you to Monte Barnett for this post:

Thanks, I see that and I'll do it.