Thread: Suggestions for Good Microphone for Acoustic Group

Default Suggestions for Good Microphone for Acoustic Group

Interested in suggestions for a Microphone for a Acoustic Group. I have no understanding of what is required. Group consists of Mandolin, Banjo, Tuba and Piano. Your thoughts?

Default Re: Suggestions for Good Microphone for Acoustic Group

Really going to depend on the application. Live gig? Home recording? Trying to record for a stream? So many variables it’s really a rabbit hole… the deeper you go you start to understand the nuances and complexities of sound reinforcement. Good luck.

When you say "a microphone" that implies to me you want a single mic, like a condenser, that the band moves around depending on who is singing or taking a solo break. That in itself is a practiced skill. If the band is a mandolin, banjo, tuba, piano (and presumably vocals?) it can be tricky doing the one mic dance. The piano player isn't going to be as mobile as the mandolin.....

Mic, monitor, main speaker and band member placement are the key parameters to vary if you want to get a balanced sound in this situation. It's a lot easier to do on an elevated stage or a studio than in the corner of a crowded bar or at a busy farmers market.

So it depends on where you'll be using it, what's the rest of your sound reinforcement system, what's the band's experience using mics, etc.

For our bluegrass band we stick with a multi-channel mixer and a lot of individual dynamic mics. And before every gig I have to remind everyone how to use the mic - it has a directional axis, you have to get close to it, etc.

I'd look at the Ear Trumpet Labs Myrtle or one of their other mics. We use on for many gigs and it works fine. We also have other large diaphragm mics we use but these are excellent for a group.

That is quite an assortment. I think it will be a real challenge balancing levels with a single mic. I think you could pull it off if you position the mandolin player right up front, the piano just behind that and the tuba and banjo out in the parking lot
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Depends on the size of the room you're trying to fill. In a small room, just close mic the mandolin through a small amp. In a medium to large room then, pick up on the mandolin, electronic piano, mic the banjo, mic the tuba and trust the sound man if there is one or use monitors on the same balance as the front of house speakers.
    Also get advice in situ from other bands who have the experience.

If you are looking for one microphone to work well here it is going to be very difficult. The different volumes (sound pressure levels) and frequencies from your group of instruments runs very wide ranges. Depending on the venues you may be fine just a microphone for the mandolin with the natural volume of the others being enough.

Question Re: Suggestions for Good Microphone for Acoustic Group

Friends here have 5 vocalists.. to reduce head banging, they have 2 side address condensers side by side on the same stand.

this allows the patterns of sensitivity to be wide enough..

tuba & piano will need their own mics , piano may need 2

NB: you can spit your Ps & T's on dynamic mics .
    need to protect condensers from moisture.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture