Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibson is preparing to sell NFTs of its most famous models

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson is preparing to sell NFTs of its most famous models

<No. Just no. There's a limit to what's appropriate here. Please stick to it.>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-27-2022 at 8:40am.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I have enjoyed a few very fine Gibson instruments over the years . Once in a while they come up with a treasure despite their consistency for inconsistency.
    What I don't like about the GIBSON Corp is historic greed, avarice, aggression, and smarminess..
    which is a deterrent to purchase any new Gibson product.

Aren't NFT's similar to carbon credits, ain't no such tangible thing. Surprised Henry didn't think of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    I have enjoyed a few very fine Gibson instruments over the years . Once in a while they come up with a treasure despite their consistency for inconsistency.
    What I don't like about the GIBSON Corp is historic greed, avarice, aggression, and smarminess..
    which is a deterrent to purchase any new Gibson product.

Aren't NFT's similar to carbon credits, ain't no such tangible thing. Surprised Henry didn't think of this.
    Henry Gibson? He left us in 2009, mostly did comedy, not finance. Henry J, ex CEO? He’s now in healthcare, where the historic characteristics you mention are more than acceptable. Some other Henry?

I am sticking with fungible actuals - ones you can strum and pick.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Isn't there some Wall Street saying that says if your Starbucks barista is telling you what incomprehensible thing to invest your money in, then it's time to get out of the market?

I fully expect that this November there will be constant news stories about the crash of NFTs, and crypto, and every other digital shell game, and why didn't the whole world see it coming?
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Playing on the porch

All this NFT discussion has made me think of my father . As a young man, had I ever approached him at the kitchen table and told him that I had come up with a great new idea, called NFTs, my dear father would have looked me in the face, not unkindly, and said,

"Dumb kid."
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

As far as I see it NFT is an attempt to create "an original" of a digital picture. Like you have an original painting worth millions, but there are millions of worthless prints and photos of this painting widely available everywhere. But still your original copy worth millions. But there is a catch with the NFT. Your original old-fashioned art is an oil on canvas, created by some master, but all the other copies are either prints or digital copies, they are not the same as original, though can look very close. With the NFT though all the copies, including the original are exactly the same digital copies. Just one ( or a limited series) is digitally signed to prove your "ownership". Just another clever financial instrument made of nothing, much like the shares of a company or a cryptocurrency.

8. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Perhaps, next they can start running TV ads (like the trend with insurance companies) that have absolutely nothing to do with what they're selling.

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Googled it. Read all about it. Still don't know
    I also don't fully understand it but I understand it well enough to know I don't care

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveGinNJ For This Useful Post:

Will the NFT scrolls sell for twice or more than the non-scrolls? Asking for a friend....

13. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Smile Re: Gibson is preparing to sell NFTs of its most famous models

Can I become a paid endorser of those Gibson products? I can't play a real guitar but I'm as good at playing air-guitar as anyone :-) and I can post sneaky videos of it all over internet. Do I qualify?
    :-D
    Adrian

15. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

sigh, as someone who works in tech, I try to remain open minded about new endeavors. I have a hard time reconciling the idea of intentionally taking something that isn't scarce (a digital piece of content) and artificially making it scarce. Pass.

17. The following members say thank you to fishing_with_john for this post:

Crypto Mando? I think I get it. No I don't, nor do I want to. If it requires more deep brain comprehension usage than my age addled cranium can muster at this point in life then I just let it pass. Just thinking about getting up and pouring my second cup of coffee is about all I handle this morning.

19. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

Things just keep getting curiouser and curiouser..................

In the future, people won't play mandolin. They will just pay for a digital copy of the sound they would have made if they had put the effort in.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Will the pre-war NFTs be more valuable?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

24. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    In the future, people won't play mandolin. They will just pay for a digital copy of the sound they would have made if they had put the effort in.
    We have already reached that point. The availability of the highest level professional performances at the push of a button has deterred a lot of people from making their own music. 120 years ago you did not have much music unless you made it yourself. 70 years ago there were pianos in as many homes as not. 50 years ago half the kids played guitar. Today they pull electronic digital samples of other peoples performances and call it making music.

I sat through a month long Zoom class on on use of recording software and DAWs recently. There were only a handful recording our own instrumental work. Of those only two or three were using anything but electronic keyboards. The majority of the class were not even recording their own vocals, though there were a couple of outstanding singers. The majority were cobbling together samples that they picked up online.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

I suspect these NFT's will in some way be linked to ensuring each Gibson product/serial number is unique and a genuine Gibson product that isn't counterfeited. Of course this is all conjecture at this point until we know more.

IMHO the NFTs are the digital equivalent of some Emperor's new clothes!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    We have already reached that point. The availability of the highest level professional performances at the push of a button has deterred a lot of people from making their own music. 120 years ago you did not have much music unless you made it yourself. 70 years ago there were pianos in as many homes as not. 50 years ago half the kids played guitar. Today they pull electronic digital samples of other peoples performances and call it making music.

I sat through a month long Zoom class on on use of recording software and DAWs recently. There were only a handful recording our own instrumental work. Of those only two or three were using anything but electronic keyboards. The majority of the class were not even recording their own vocals, though there were a couple of outstanding singers. The majority were cobbling together samples that they picked up online.
    I guess even Beethoven just did it all on a keyboard, wrote it out and made other musicians play it, though.

And interestingly, a surprisingly large proportion of the pianos in those homes were player pianos, at least until the phonograph came along.

30. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I have noticed and been commenting on sampling for years. What struck me was how often it was used, and how often samples came from rock and soul songs from the 60s. Digital samples of analog recordings. I wonder whether this was done because those samples had a certain resonance, be it melodic or sonic, ie, just their sound was so moving or compelling or recognizable. Bob Seger said it well enough: "Today's music ain't got no soul; not like that old time rock and roll." That's a generalization, of course, and all generalizations are false, including this one, but there is much truth in it.

But I'm looking for some positivity in all this, and all I can come up with is I hope Gibson includes some mandolin in their NFT collection. If so, I hope that along with the obvious F-5 choice, they also include some oval holes and A shapes. They should pay homage to their origins.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    But I'm looking for some positivity in all this, and all I can come up with is I hope Gibson includes some mandolin in their NFT collection. If so, I hope that along with the obvious F-5 choice, they also include some oval holes and A shapes. They should pay homage to their origins.
    As long as it doesn't mean I can't share a picture of my old Gibson mando without worrying about some kind of new fangled copyright infringement

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    If you can’t monetize your business, just monetize pictures of your business.
    It seems to me kinda silly, you can't post a picture of a Gibson Mandolin without giving Gibson all of your money. That is what some people call, shooting yourself in the foot, by aiming at your head...... Every picture of a person playing a mandolin or guitar well, with a specific brand name on the head stock is free publicity for the manufacturer. Now suppose your a really good player, when you can not distribute any promotional pictures or videos of you playing your mandolin, without handing Gibson a big pile of cash. How many will be selling off their Gibson for another instrument, that does not have this "feature"?

The other issue though, the shape and style of mandolins from one manufacturer is pretty much identical to any other manufacturer. All A-styles look the same, and all F-styles look the same, the only real way to tell the difference between a Gibson an Eastman and a Lore to look at the head-stock or check the label. If that head stock is modified and that label is altered, you would have a tough time proving the builder without taking the instrument to bits. So maybe on unique looking instruments like a flying V guitar, you would have an argument, but how many famous players, will be letting their flying V sit in the case, and playing something else?

Amen, brother.

I'd like an NFT of Mike Compton's "The" ballcap!