Thread: New (to me) Collings MF5

Default New (to me) Collings MF5

After playing my Kentucky KM-1500 for over 35 years and drooling over newer mandolins for the last few years I found a 2003 Collings MF5 I couldn't resist. And I'm so pleased! I had a K&K pickup installed as our band plugs in more often these days and for those times when I play it in church. I would appreciate your thoughts on a few questions.

The mandolin came with it's original case. I'm used the rectangular case that came with the Kentucky and that extra storage space. The Collings case holds very little, probably a good thing but... The Collings won't fit in the Kentucky case, the MF5 has a little wider body. Any case suggestions? Anyone use a gig bag? I use Mono gig bags for my PRS electrics and never had issues (I don't travel great distances often). I also like keeping the original cases in good condition.

Any set up suggestions? I did have the action raised slightly when installing the pickup. It seems I need to finesse the MF5 more than the Kentucky. Playing hard doesn't always sound as good, especially on the A & E strings. Perhaps I can raise the action a little more. I'm so impressed with the tuning up and down the neck I don't want to create unnecessary issues.

Along those lines, what's your string suggestions? I went with the D'Addario EJ74's as recommended on the Collings site. Lately I had been using D'Addario XT 11.5-40 on the Kentucky. Maybe a little heavier A & E strings would make a difference.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences!
    Ron

Default Re: New (to me) Collings MF5

Quote Originally Posted by Ron G View Post
    After playing my Kentucky KM-1500 for over 35 years and drooling over newer mandolins for the last few years I found a 2003 Collings MF5 I couldn't resist. And I'm so pleased! I had a K&K pickup installed as our band plugs in more often these days and for those times when I play it in church. I would appreciate your thoughts on a few questions.

The mandolin came with it's original case. I'm used the rectangular case that came with the Kentucky and that extra storage space. The Collings case holds very little, probably a good thing but... The Collings won't fit in the Kentucky case, the MF5 has a little wider body. Any case suggestions? Anyone use a gig bag? I use Mono gig bags for my PRS electrics and never had issues (I don't travel great distances often). I also like keeping the original cases in good condition.

Any set up suggestions? I did have the action raised slightly when installing the pickup. It seems I need to finesse the MF5 more than the Kentucky. Playing hard doesn't always sound as good, especially on the A & E strings. Perhaps I can raise the action a little more. I'm so impressed with the tuning up and down the neck I don't want to create unnecessary issues.

Along those lines, what's your string suggestions? I went with the D'Addario EJ74's as recommended on the Collings site. Lately I had been using D'Addario XT 11.5-40 on the Kentucky. Maybe a little heavier A & E strings would make a difference.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences!
    Ron
    If you are not travelling a lot and don't beat your instrument around, I really love my Reunion Blues gig bag. It's very padded and sturdy and very light. I wouldn't throw it in the back of a truck with it or anything, but for driving around town and taking it to jams I think it's plenty of protection and a lot of convenience.

3. The following members say thank you to MandoManCaleb for this post:

Ron G 

Hi Ron, Congrats on acquiring a fantastic mandolin! My thoughts on your questions:
    • case- no way I would put a $5k instrument in a gig bag. Stick with the good case it came in and stuff related gear in a back pack.
    • action- where is it now? My mandos e strings just barely grip a CT-55 or TAD 60 (~0.060") at the octave fret. If it's lower than that, raise it. Part of it may be just adjusting to a higher quality instrument. You may only need a light attack to pull the sound out of it. I wouldn't think a Collings would need heavier than standard mediums. Other owners will probably weigh in.
    • sound- I play in church too. Mostly electric. The few times I get to play the mandolin, we just put a small diameter condenser on it. Mando is so punchy I can stay 8-12" away from the mic. We're all on IEMs so there's no issue of the mic feedback on stage.
    Congrats again on the nice instrument, you have arrived! Play in good health. IHS- RR

5. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Ron G 

You could consider a case cover w/outside pocket to put on the original case

7. The following members say thank you to Russ Jordan for this post:

Ron G 

Rob, while I generally agree with you, I also have a reunion blues gig bag and I carry my Kelley A-5 in it pretty frequently. I’m absolutely NOT a touring pro and I’d never check it on a plane or anything like that. But, the RBs are gig bags on steroids, and, except for crush injuries are probably more protective than my hard cases (which are Golden Gate and TKL iirc). I actually like it better than a Travelite I used to have.

OP, you may have luck calling Elderly or Carter’s and ask if they have some recommendations for the case. Also, agree with playing with your set up some. I used to have a MT that played well with either J74 or J75 gauge strings, so you should be able to dial it in. If, not a good mando luthier can work some magic. Congrats!

9. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Ron G 

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Rob Roy, thanks! I do feel like I've arrived...but not quite worthy, lol. Sounds like my action is about where you suggest on the E strings. My E strings, especially, sound a little "pingy" if that makes sense. I'd like a little mellower sound, that's why I was thinking of a slightly heavier gauge. But you are right, when I play lighter the tone is there. It's an adjustment for sure, and sometimes a little more difficult in a bluegrass setting.

CES, thanks for the suggestion to call for recommendations on a case. I will do that. I'm totally fine with the Mono gig bags for my electrics but just a little leery of putting the mandolin in one, even with the limited travel. I do like the looks of the Reunion Blues bags though.

I recently got a 2002 Collings MF5 and I think it's fantastic. The age/condition made it affordable, but I like it that way since it already feels broken-in.

Another thing that is special is that I have a 2003 Collings D1 so they are close in age, great companion instruments.