Thread: Humidity

Default Humidity

Wondering how important maintaining stable humidity is. I'm in the northeast, have an ultrasonic humidifier in a smallish room where I keep my instruments. If I keep the door shut, humidifier running all the time, and the forced-air heat isn't going constantly the humidity will get into the mid 50s. The issue is at night when the heat is running I'm reluctant to keep the door shut bc the temperature in the room will get into the high 70s -- a consequence of a forced-air system that is over robust for the small room. Thus, over a 24 hour period the humidity fluctuates between around 30 and 55.

Is this an issue? Would it be better to try to keep the humidity more constant understanding that the room temperature will fluctuate at times climbing close to 80? or vice versa? Or is none of this critical?

BTW, we have filtered water so not too worried about dreaded white powder from the humidifier.

Default Re: Humidity

Are your instruments in cases or out? If they are in cases, the humidity changes will take some time to penetrate the closed case. If not, the 25% shift might be an issue. My understanding is that it's the changes (and particularly rapid changes) in humidity that can be a problem.

Can you partially close or block off the forced air outlets, to lessen the temperature changes? That may help.

BTW, "filtered" water is probably not going to be enough to avoid the white dust problem from an ultrasonic. We have a three stage filter system, but it doesn't filter out all minerals, which is what causes the dust. To be fair, we also live in an area with high mineral/iron content water.

All this said, I'm not an instrument builder or repair person, just a player, so I would wait for some more educated opinions as well.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

I would shoot for consistency, as instruments don't like big and rapid shifts. I'd also shoot for maintaining the lower RH of the range, like 35-40%. In the event that you take an instrument somewhere else to play, and that space is dry, your stuff won't have to make the big shift to adjust. That RH should be sufficient to prevent cracking and/or top deformation. Even with a good setup it can be difficult. It was -25 this morning and even with running both humidifiers full blast overnight, plus steamers on the stove, I was only at 31%.

2021 The Loar LM700 VS

5. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

thanks all. very informative and helpful.

Here in the Nashville area we get big changes in humidity at certain times of year, like now in January 2022, with freezing temps on some days then rising temps into the 50's, then a rain storm, then more freezing. I try to control it and not overheat my music studio and I run a good room humidifier, but still often the room humidity fluctuates between 35% and 58%. I keep all my instruments out on stands or on wall hangers. I've got every type of string instrument.

The only negative effect I notice is that I must tune my mandolin or guitar more often. That's it.

I try to keep this studio at around 48% but it just proves impossible when the outside weather fluctuates so dramatically. But like I said, I have experienced nothing to worry about over many years. I suggest to just do your best. The last thing I'm gonna do is keep my main mandolin or main guitar in a case. I do think it's very important to not let the room get too wet or too dry for extended periods of time. But I also think many people over react on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    I also think many people over react on this issue.
    It depends on where you live. here in Maine, especially in a cold snap, you can easily end up with 15% RH in a room. After a few days, that will start wreaking havoc on your stuff, especially fiddles.

9. The following members say thank you to Mainer73 for this post: