Thread: Going from scooped to unscooped fingerboard

Default Going from scooped to unscooped fingerboard

Has anyone successfully transitioned from a scooped to unscooped fingerboard?

I played a scooped fingerboard for 20 years and my new mando is not scooped. I am obviously clicking a lot. If I am conscious of it, I can greatly reduce the clicking. My hope is that I can develop the habit/muscle memory/control to not click the fingerboard. Has anyone else undergone this challenge?

I realize I can modify my new mando and have it scooped, but I would prefer not to do that.

It seems like there could be some long term benefit of improved right hand control by sticking with the unscooped.

Thoughts?

2. The following members say thank you to Jay for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Going from scooped to unscooped fingerboard

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    . Has anyone else undergone this challenge?
    I have not, but I know that I stopped `digging in' and using anything but the slightest edge of a pick when I went with super-thick picks --- mainly the 3.5 mm ultra thick wegens [dawg or other similar pick might also work similarly].

Having thick nearly immobile pick requires using only the slightest bit to play smooth and even, it improved my tremolo a lot too as it got me closer to `rubbing on the top of the strings' as I've heard it put.

Good luck. If I can take my terrible guitar right hand and get it to where it's at on mando - you can do this too. Switched back to `normal' picks and find that my technique is improved from working with an ultra thick one.
    Last edited by Markus; Jan-27-2022 at 4:03pm.

4. The following members say thank you to Markus for this post:

gtani7 

Nothing to add here, but after reading the title I just had to click to see how you "unscooped" your 'board!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Jus scoop it.

Blog Entries

Well not me. I went from Un-scooped to scooped to still clicking away. I'm contemplating going Bush style and have it cut off...

There is something visually appealing about the extended fingerboard with the frets installed. It complements the F style mandolin and adds to the overall look. I have learned to reduce the clicking some with careful pick placement but the sweet-sounding spot on my mandolin (F-5G) is right above the extension. It's a form vs. function problem. I am learning to ignore the clicks. Sometimes the clicks sound like a percussive accompaniment to the tune being played. I plan on keeping the stock configuration and learning a tune with some notes on the extension to fully justify it being there.

Question Re: Going from scooped to unscooped fingerboard

My 1 F , just does not have a "Florida" the Gibson Oval A is even shorter..

As shown previously, inlaying silver wire in the fret slot fills it but is kept flush with the wooden surface..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    There is something visually appealing about the extended fingerboard with the frets installed. It complements the F style mandolin and adds to the overall look. I have learned to reduce the clicking some with careful pick placement but the sweet-sounding spot on my mandolin (F-5G) is right above the extension. It's a form vs. function problem. I am learning to ignore the clicks. Sometimes the clicks sound like a percussive accompaniment to the tune being played. I plan on keeping the stock configuration and learning a tune with some notes on the extension to fully justify it being there.
    Thanks. This is my line of thinking also. I hear a lot of clicks on Flinner's records, so I guess it OK.

Has anyone successfully transitioned from a scooped to unscooped fingerboard?

I played a scooped fingerboard for 20 years and my new mando is not scooped. I am obviously clicking a lot. If I am conscious of it, I can greatly reduce the clicking. My hope is that I can develop the habit/muscle memory/control to not click the fingerboard. Has anyone else undergone this challenge?

I realize I can modify my new mando and have it scooped, but I would prefer not to do that.

It seems like there could be some long term benefit of improved right hand control by sticking with the unscooped.

Thoughts?
    I would either have it scooped or cut off. That click annoys me to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    There is something visually appealing about the extended fingerboard with the frets installed. It complements the F style mandolin and adds to the overall look.
    It was part of the original design as a classical mandolin.

I've learned, though, that many folks live well without those pesky high range notes!

life is short, its a simple job to scoop it. don't waste your playing time trying to adjust to a new ,possibly nonergonomic, playing style that might create tension in your body and picking hand, all sorts of aches/pains, and take away your pleasure of the instrument and only induce frustration. scoop it and enjoy your new mandolin. you've been playing for a while so your body is very used to certain ergonomics.

i actually think a scooped board looks svelte, don't care at all for the faux pas of laying in fake frets-but thats a personal problem of mine.

enjoy your mandolin to the fullest extent while you can
    d

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20180114_020635_resized.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	199133

15. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

in case your new one is an A style

Name:	thumbnail_20190502_130618_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	199139

Name:	thumbnail_20190502_130618-1_resized.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	199140

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Ohhhhh! I thought you were talking about the fretboard itself, not the extension — and couldn't understand what that had to do with clicking. Now that I've seen those pictures above, I get it.

Guess I'll always be a guitar guy. . . .

Name:	scooped.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	199141
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Can’t listen to Tone Poems without noting the pick clicking anymore. I will probably some day get an F2 or F4 and try leaving it alone for a while, but I’m generally with Mr Bush on this one…

I have never really understood how some of the “pros” and accomplished pickers have gone for so long and developed their chops so far and STILL render bleeding ears from all the pick clicks. If you have an instrument with an unscooped Florida and play that at a high level, bashing the board with your pick is as egregious as muffled notes, poorly executing your pull offs or hammer ons, or any other aspect of playing well. If you can’t master playing cleanly with no bashing the board, then either spend more time on your technique, or switch to an instrument that allows for your deficiencies
    John D

20. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

Since the Coombe has an unscooped extension, have learned to pick just below it, or angle the pick enough to try to minimize clicking. Also, am using a very thin pick (Tortex .73) which seems to minimize the noise aspect of the click.

Am definitely not going to scoop. The builder has written elsewhere that the extension over the soundhole contributes to the sound he was trying to acheive. Am convinced it works, as this mandolin now my main player.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I saw a Gibson 5G one time where the owner had a single fret removed from the extension in his preferred sweet spot. Apparently that gave him sufficient clearance to avoid the clicking.

Name:	6C70BF3D-3406-4C2C-8111-EF4B47E031B5.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	884.0 KB 
ID:	199161

mini-scoop. c. 1942 A-50

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    life is short, its a simple job to scoop it. don't waste your playing time trying to adjust to a new ,possibly nonergonomic, playing style that might create tension in your body and picking hand, all sorts of aches/pains, and take away your pleasure of the instrument and only induce frustration.
    I hear you but in my experience so far I think it would have the opposite effect. Meaning it would improve one's ergonomics. Also, it seems logical that more control would result in greater efficiency and improves ergonomics.

Oddly enough my most recent mandolin (The Bluegrass by Glen Dean Cecil) is not scooped and I'm not noticing the clicking that I usually do. I'm happy not to have to scoop it. Here it is shown with a couple of scooped ferns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family portrait1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	846.8 KB 
ID:	199215  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

That photo could be a centerfold in a magazine!

27. The following members say thank you to Mike Buesseler for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buesseler View Post
    That photo could be a centerfold in a magazine!
    +2

29. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

I hear you but in my experience so far I think it would have the opposite effect. Meaning it would improve one's ergonomics. Also, it seems logical that more control would result in greater efficiency and improves ergonomics.
    my bad, i read your OP quickly-missed the important part "prefer not to scoop it", thought you were wanting to go scooped.
    carry on
    d

Sorry to revive this old thread. I have a follow-up question.

Has anyone scooped a fingerboard on a mandolin that has a pick guard on it? If so, did you alter or replace the pick guard to match the new shape of the fingerboard?

The pick guard on my mandolin is positioned flush with the fingerboard/extension. If the fingerboard were to be scooped, it would leave the pick guard raised at a higher level that the scooped extension. In addition to being visually unpleasing, this could result (maybe) in the pick hitting the raised pick guard.

My friends Brentrup has a scooped fingerboard and a pick guard. The pick guard is shaped to remain flush with the fingerboard through the scoop. Meaning, the pick guard is also 'scooped', essentially.

From this, I would conclude that if you scoop a flat extension that has a pick guard, you must also replace, or maybe re-position the pick guard.

What do you think?

Or just remove the pick guard. I know some love the look and feel of pick guards, but I'm not in that camp. My Rigel CT-110 has a scooped extension and came with a stylish guard that was the height of the extension. I left it on for about a week and then just took it off. I don't beat up my tops, nor do I anchor my pinky, so it really was just something else to get in the way. Also, I prefer the look of the look of no guard.

My Kelly A5 has an abbreviated FB extension, which I prefer to the scooped extension, but it doesn't take long to adjust to the scooped one.

There are a couple of Cafe members that could probably help you out if you wanted to build a custom guard to match the scooping if your luthier can't. I'm sure others with the complete opposite opinion of mine will weigh in.

I'll also say that my first mandolin was a Kentucky with the traditional FB extension, and I didn't understand how much pick click annoyed me until I got my Silverangel and discovered the joys of my right hand not being an audible metronome, lol. Picked on an awesome Rattlesnake at Lowe vintage a couple of years ago, but put it down after about 30 seconds because of the trad extension. Fortunately, there are good options regardless of your preference.
    Chuck