Thread: Loose tuner button on L&H style C

Blog Entries

Default Loose tuner button on L&H style C

Lyon and Healy style C spcl, early to mid 1920's. Tuner buttons are the kind that do not have screws holding them on to the shaft. One tuner button (treble-side E string, FWIW) is loose. There is about 0.03 to 0.06 inches of play in and out and a few degrees of play around the axis of the shaft. Attached photo shows the in and out play. So the button rattles a bit. The tuner itself is in great shape, no slop, no backlash, holds tune, etc.

1. It does bug me when I tune, even though I have no trouble tuning.
    2. I do worry that the slop/play will get worse and the button will come off.
    3. I am not sure but I think I do hear a bit of a buzzy rattle sometimes while playing that could be attributable to this.
    4. I don't want to replace the button given its age and patina - any replacement will probably not match the others.

What can I do to tighten this button up? I considered injecting CA glue into the gap between the shaft and the button (like where the red arrows are), but I hope you folks can make better suggestions (or reinforce my thinking).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loose L&H Button.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	199112

Thanks!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Default Re: Loose tuner button on L&H style C

You might want to take it to Portland Fret Works, along NE Alberta Street. The folks there are great with repairs.

Good luck with it!

3. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

I had the same problem with my framus black rose baby deluxe. Forum folk suggested CA glue, and it worked like a charm. Here’s the thread. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...g-tuner-button

5. The following members say thank you to mjbee for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mjbee View Post
    I had the same problem with my framus black rose baby deluxe. Forum folk suggested CA glue, and it worked like a charm. Here’s the thread. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...g-tuner-button
    As I said on that thread, the same thing happened to me on NEW Stew-Mac Golden Age tuners. I also fixed it by wicking in some thin superglue.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks to all of you. I feel reassured and will proceed with the CA trick.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com