Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ukulele with mando tuning

Default Re: Ukulele with mando tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    I have a little sopranino uke with Aquila 5ths strings on it I use when I'm travelling with just one bag which I can put it in. It gives my restless hands something to play. I also had this Kala baritone uke tuned GDAE (until I got a Regal tenor) and it was fun to play. Here's a video of my attempt. I found the string requirements here on the cafe but I can look in my file if anyone wants them.
    GDAE, but an octave below mandolin. Did you use classical guitar strings?

Well I've been having a play and I must say, some mandola chords on my baritone uke are a real stretch. One chord is 2245 which on the bari is really tricky! I need to try putting the capo on the 7th, giving me mandolin chords, and higher up the neck where the frets are closer together.

I did some experimenting with this several years ago. YMMV but I found the Aquila’s 30U set is also long enough and works well on a tenor uke tuned to CGDA or DAEB. Also, I haven’t tried this yet but have heard of someone successfully getting octave mandolin GDAE. Tuning on a baritone uke with a set of classical guitar strings.

Well I decided to set it back go being a baritone Ukulele but with low G GCEA strings, unwound

This discussion inspired me to experiment as well with a laminate concert uke. I bought a low uke G string and a classical guitar E string and used 2 strings already on the uke. I used the low uke G string for string 4 (G), tuned the original C string up one whole step for string 3 (D), moved the original uke A string over to become string 2 (A) and used the nylon guitar E string for string 1 (E). Started picking some arpeggios and fiddle tunes and I believe I have a nice little travel instrument.