Thread: Final choice - Eastman MD305 or Kentucky KM250

Default Final choice - Eastman MD305 or Kentucky KM250

Hi Folks
    Sorry in advance for my questions, which all revolve around mandolin makes.
    As mentioned before, I am just picking up the mandolin again after several years & am re-starting my learning. My current mandolin is a cheap Blue Moon (some may regard it as a toy, but its OK) & I'd like to move up to something better.
    I have come down to 2 realistic possibilities plus an outsider. The realistic ones are either an Eastman MD305 or a Kentucky KM250. I can get these for the exact same price. Both seem to be lovely instruments, albeit lower end. Could anyone provide any advice on which is better?
    The outsider is a second hand Telestar, accoustic electric. This is in exceptional condition & half the price of the Eastman & Kentucky, but its 50 years old.
    If you have a minute & don't mind responding, I'd really appreciate your opinion. I need to make a choice over the next couple of days as the prices on the Eastman & Kentucky then go back up as they are currently in a sale.
    Thanks
    Martin

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: Final choice - Eastman MD305 or Kentucky KM250

Both are great instruments, given they have been set up (adjustments for playability) properly.

I've played both models and can't remember which one had the neck I liked better. I think it was the Eastman though cause they are know to have narrower necks, which I like. I'd choose the Eastman.

I would guess it would come down to the neck differences and which you would prefer. If you can't compare then it's a crap shoot. I had an Eastman 305 as well as a Kentucky 272 (oval hole version of the 250). Either will suit you well I would think - YMMV. I think I preferred the Eastman of the two. A good set up (if not done by the dealer) could play into it too......

Good luck no matter which you choose
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Playing on the porch

Both are nice instruments. Even so, I'm more comfortable with the Eastman. Whichever mandolin you choose, hav fun!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth violin

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

While I’m a big Eastman booster my current mandolin is a KM-250. I’d say you can’t go wrong with either.

My only comment would be to buy from a seller like Elderly Instruments or The Mandolin Shop so that you get a pro setup & intonation done before shipping. It makes a WORLD of difference on a floating bridge instrument like a mandolin.

6. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Any chance you can play them both before deciding? Since both the Eastman and the Kentucky are good-quality instruments, the choice would come down to your individual preference for neck "feel" and sound. Or perhaps you can get one with a trial period -- 48 hours or so -- and have the dealer "hold" the other in case the one they send you isn't to your liking.

And you should buy the Telstar too. It can be your rough-and-ready, "so what?," "Gonna be a rock star" back-up mandolin. Doesn't everybody need one of those?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Martin, are you able to play the instruments before buying? As someone else mentioned, how does feel in your hand? How easy is it to play (comfortable action)? Eastmans get a lot of votes for entry level instruments, but the tuners are notoriously tough and many end up spending another $60 or so to upgrade them.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I’ve decided on the Eastman. Looking forward to playing it.
    Cheers
    Martin

Enjoy, Martin - I've got both and IMO they're equally good but different. For my money, the Eastman has a bit more character, and that character's slightly harder to get at If your 305 comes with stiff tuners (some do, others apparently don't), and IF that bugs you, better ones drop in and don't cost a fortune.