Thread: This feels like a scam

Default This feels like a scam

I'm offering a mandolin on local CL. So a responder emails he will mail a check. When I provide mailing info and after the check clears he will arrange for pickup. He will also send money for me to hold the instrument, considering it to be sold. Then he requests I delete the posting since "it is sold". Doesn't smell good to me. I think I've read of situations like this before. I responded I would accept cash payment only and local pick up.

Default Re: This feels like a scam

Smart to respond the way you did. He'll move on to try to scam someone else. The scammers never seem to sleep. Perhaps list your mandolin on the cafe, good place to reach a large audience.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jim simpson For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Yup. Good move. It's a scam.

When I run Craig's ads for local pickup, I always say cash at a public place — library, police station, service plaza, coffee shop, restaurant, music shop, whatever.

<Removed. No place on the forum for hot button topics, please.>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Feb-01-2022 at 5:56pm. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

5. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

robw95 

<Removed. No place on the forum for hot button topics, please.>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Feb-01-2022 at 5:57pm. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

I have had a similar scam proposed on CL. First they want the item at the price you asked. Then they say for some reason they can't pick it up but want you to hold it for for their friend, brother, etc. to pick up (or some commercial entity). They will send a check in advance. When you deposit check, then you arrange pick up and give the pick up person their fee out of the check you received. Your price is always less than the amount they will send. You also agree to take the item off of CL.

I knew it was a scam as soon as it was proposed. You end up without your item, money that the bank wants back because the check is no good, and you are out the amount you paid the pick up person, besides having handed over the item. But it must work or they wouldn't try it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rdeane For This Useful Post:

Like Jeff Foxworthy's joke about the 20-something responding to the repo guy saying he can take a check, "Oh, I thought you wanted actual money"
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Classic scam. That’s why I don’t use CL. Every time I’ve posted an item on there, in less than an hour someone messaged with the same as you described.

The OP mentioned mentioned his mailing address. This is something you absolutely can't do...giving out your address. If you've ever been robbed, you know this is a gilt edge ticket for a thief. I've even responded to people who posted an address to remove it. A few years ago a neighbour was murdered selling a diamond ring in his home; the neighbourhood was safe; it was just a bad move. Like CB mentioned, any sort of public place for any of these deals. Cash, face to face, where you can't get mugged.

I did not provide an address or any personal info. In fact I asked him to provide that info to me. Not surprisingly I have not heard back. As I reread the emails there were three different names used as well.

I hate it when scammers aren't well organized and can't keep their stories straight.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Good job sniffing it out. It’s a classic phishing expedition. If they do it to 100 people and one or two to reply they’ve just secured rent for a few months, or maybe more.

I’ve been getting offers for government loans, something to do with Medicaid lately. Basically, they want to help me apply for a grant g do it an exorbitant amount of money. Oddly, it sometimes happens on social media coming from a friend whose account was hacked. I’ve been messing with them. I just tell them to fill it out and get back to me, to put it all in their name, and that once their finished we can arrange a cash transaction. Offering an extra 10% for their trouble helps too. They don’t even play along though. They just ghost.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I hate it when scammers aren't well organized and can't keep their stories straight.
    Yeah I agree. It’s so confusing and inconsiderate!

Blog Entries

It's a scam.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Can't stand a thief. CL is infamous for these guys. Cash only, in public, local sale is the way to go.
    We few, we happy few.