Thread: Info sought: 80's StewMac electric mandolin made by Don MacRostie

Default Info sought: 80's StewMac electric mandolin made by Don MacRostie

Years ago I purchased a sunburst 5-string electric mandolin form Elderly instruments, described as being from Stewart MacDonald. I was told that it once had a "B string bender" but that it had been removed. There is a yin-yang inlay just behind the bridge that may have plugged a hole drilled for that purpose, but the forward strap button is fixed (no lever as would be expected.) I believe these were made by Don MacRostie of Red Diamond fame. I've used it for years as a silent practice mandolin / mandola. It's in the shop now being setup for electric play and I don't have pics handy. But, there is a photo at emando.com that is a dead ringer (the one one the left in the link below http://emando.com/builders_inactive/StewMac.htm

I would appreciate any information on these that can be offered. My sincere thanks in advance.

Default Re: Info sought: 80's StewMac electric mandolin made by Don MacRo

I've owned and sold a half dozen of these or thereabouts. Just about everything I know is on the Emando.com page. Interesting construction: semi-hollow with a bolt-on back. It's kind of a shame to think the bender was removed. You can play one of these without using the bender.

You'll note that some of the photos at Emando.com show a little knob below the bridge, where yours has the yin-yang. The idea was to attach the A string at the knob, which is connected to the bender. The other end of the bender connects to the strap button; use the strap to yank on it and you can bend the A string.

I think the production instruments had the bender and the kit instruments did not, but the facts may be more complicated than that.

When used on a guitar (for which it was invented), the Parsons-White string bender does in fact bend the B string. Obviously on a mandolin it bends the A string.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thank you, Martin. Yes, I'd love to have the bender on it but it is what it is. Odd that the strap button that would drive the bender looks stock- no space allowed for the lever. Perhaps this one's top was routed for the bender / string junction but the rest was never installed- requiring the hole to be plugged. Hard to know. Still, a cool instrument. I appreciate the reply. Best regards.

Well, if there is no slot in the "scroll" area where the strap button is, then obviously the bender was never installed. Or maybe there was a slot and it has been patched up. Have you taken the back off?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls