Thread: new Neumann kk14 clip on

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jazzgtrl4 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: new Neumann kk14 clip on

This is interesting, especially the price point at $300 USD. That's half the cost of the DPA 4099, which is something of an industry standard for this application. I have several and like them, but the cost for accessories like microdot adapters for wireless is outrageous for what they are.

The two questions I'd have for this KK14 are 1) whether the cable is detachable like the newer 4099's since that's the part most likely to be damaged and need replacing, and 2) how it compares to the 4099 for feedback rejection. The 4099 looks similar to a tiny shotgun mic inside the foam windshield and has good feedback rejection. The capsule in the new Neumann mic is larger diameter, maybe better for smooth frequency response? We'll need to see the pickup pattern.

At any rate, and assuming there is a clamp made for violin/mandolin, it's good that there's another clip-on mic in this lower price range.

Edit to add: Ooops, I read the price wrong on that second link. It's $300 for just the capsule head. The full rig with gooseneck, clamp, XLR adapter etc. runs $699 list, so it's going directly head to head with the DPA 4099. That pricing is more in line with other Neumann mics.

4. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

It looks like these are starting to get to market. Here's a fairly in depth review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S886ihZdeuQ

I watched the review and it seems like it's mostly a toss up, at least for live use (IMO). I do get that Neumann is probably not going to compete on price, but heading into an existing market with nearly indistinguishable features/performance at the same price? I think I'd sit this one out to see if it grabs enough share to keep them interested in this business.

But, it's in stock at B&H, if you want to be an early adopter!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._set_high.html
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

The audio technica 350 is still 1/2 the price and probably just as good if not a better mike.. ......but by the the time ya add phantom power and a d.i. Your not getting by any cheaper. I agree with kieth ...sit back and see what happens .......at least the a.t 350 is a proven product.

So far I have been satisfied with the MYRES clamp pick up seen on this page, scroll down a bit.
    I did have a 4099 for a while and found it to be A bit too fussy and sensitive for work on the front lines.

https://www.myerspickups.com/pickups/the-grip-series

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars