Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk small, high-end, acoustic amps

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default Let's talk small, high-end, acoustic amps

I'm looking for top shelf acoustic amp for around $1200-1300. Here are some contenders:

AER 60/4
    EAE D6-58*
    Henriksen Bud 6
    Schertler David

*Has rechargeable lithium battery

I'm curious if any of you have had the opportunity to play any of these amps, especially in an A/B/(C/D) setting. Your comments and comparisons are really appreciated! In particular, how do they compare for sound quality? Ease of use? Build quality and ruggedness? Have you needed to contact customer service, and what was that experience like for you?

Finally, what other contenders should be on the list?

TIA
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Default Re: Let's talk small, high-end, acoustic amps

I only have experience with the Schertler amp. Customer service was not great, maybe because they are located in Europe. I tried contacting them to get replacement parts but never got a response. For this reason I would not buy another Schertler amp.

I used the smaller AER Alpha amp for a couple of years. It's a great little amp with very good build quality, and I'm sure the 60/40 would be even better.

However and for what it's worth... for the kind of situation I'd use that amp for now, I would use a single powered PA speaker like one of my QSC K10's, along with a mini mixer like my older Allen & Heath ZED. It's a few more cables to attach, but so much more flexible if you're a multi-instrumentalist or play with another person who needs an input.

A powered PA speaker will also have more headroom for playing outdoors, where open air is a sound blanket and you need more volume. The only advantage of an acoustic amp is the all-in-one package, and slightly faster setup and tear-down at a gig.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this option, because as you get into the more expensive acoustic amps with more features, there starts to be some overlap with a compact PA system.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

As far as a single combo amp I have been perfectly satisfied with the Acoustic Image Corus+ I bought +/- 7-8 years ago. These aren't made any longer but I'm sure the Acoustic Image co. has fine current options.

These days I use ether the Bose L1 model 2 with their ToneMatch for more open areas or the Bose S1 Pro (two of them) and the ToneMatch for tighter venues. They are both excellent options.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Anyway, just thought I'd mention this option, because as you get into the more expensive acoustic amps with more features, there starts to be some overlap with a compact PA system.
    Agreed, but the audio quality of an amp is usually far better than a PA.
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

《These days I use ether the Bose L1 model 2 with their ToneMatch for more open areas or the Bose S1 Pro (two of them) and the ToneMatch for tighter venues. They are both excellent options.》

My buddy slaves his S1 to his AER and swears the whole exceeds the sum of the parts.

8. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    Agreed, but the audio quality of an amp is usually far better than a PA.
    That has not been my experience. I tested my powered QSC K10 against my AER Alpha, and also against another acoustic amp I had at the time, a pricey Rivera Sedona tube acoustic amp. The powered PA speaker had a smoother and more natural sounding frequency response. Your mileage may vary, because we're all playing different styles of music and in different performance venues.

Another advantage of a compact PA is getting the transducers up high enough to fire over the front row of the audience for better coverage. My AER alpha had a tripod socket in the bottom that could accomplish that. I would advise looking for that feature in one of the more lightweight acoustic amps. There was no way I was going to get my heavy Rivera Sedona amp off the floor, where it would be firing mostly at the front row of the audience.

10. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

I have an EAE A6-55. 100w with plenty of inputs, effects, power, and a lithium battery. I find it’s like having a compact amp, pa, and mixer all in one. It has way more features than I can or know how to use.

I do exactly what Foldedpath described. When playing solo, I use a QSC K-!0 powered speaker on a pole along with a mini mixer (soundcraft notepad 12FX). Simple set up and sounds fantastic. Its possible to play plugged in straight from the speaker but there is no EQ if you do that and the mini mixer (150 bucks when lucky, 200 when not) provides so many more options its worth having anyway. The advantage over the amp is I can sit or stand further away from the speaker and put the mixer right beside me for control during the gig rather than having to reach for an amps controls. Plus with the extra inputs I can keep multiple instruments plugged in and ready to go. Each channel has its own effects controls and eq as well. Then the biggest advantage is that when I bring in the band, we already have the PA speaker. So I just switch to a bigger mixer and add a second K-10. We have not used monitors in years of gigging. Set up is relatively simple if you can keep the band members from noodling in the process :0
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I owned, tried or still own AER Compact 60, EAE D6-58 and Acoustic Image Coda. They all sound decent, the Acoustic Image (which is not on your list) the warmest sounding. One could be happy with any of them, and it's more about which features you will expect/need IMO.

Once I tried a QSC K8 (now K8.2) I knew I prefer its super flat response sound. Now I gig with a K8.2 and a small mixer, instruments to a Grace Felix, so no additional EQ needed. If a tech is running the house system, I connect my Felix with the K8.2 used as a personal monitor. Love it.
    Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass

Speakers need to be driven to a certain volume to sound good. A system that will fill a club will sound bad as a desktop. If you want a holy sounding monitor make sure it sounds good with the volume you have in mind.

I'm looking for top shelf acoustic amp for around $1200-1300. Here are some contenders:

AER 60/4
    EAE D6-58*
    Henriksen Bud 6
    Schertler David

*Has rechargeable lithium battery

I'm curious if any of you have had the opportunity to play any of these amps, especially in an A/B/(C/D) setting. Your comments and comparisons are really appreciated! In particular, how do they compare for sound quality? Ease of use? Build quality and ruggedness? Have you needed to contact customer service, and what was that experience like for you?

Finally, what other contenders should be on the list?

TIA
    Bose S1 Pro

Definitely consider something from Acoustic Image. I have an older Clarus head going into a pair of Acme B1 cabs and the sound is excellent. AI also makes several combos, if you want everything in one package.

AI build quality is legendary, and their customer service is top-notch. I've had a few email conversations with the owner of the company, who was very accessible and patiently answered my questions.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

One more thing about the Bose S1 Pro - it is battery powered. And it's a doozer too.
    Recently I did TWO 3 hour gigs and the Pros still had 50% of their charge.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Question Re: Let's talk small, high-end, acoustic amps

Talk among your selves, All I could afford is a Roland AC-60,
    It's small but relatively heavy due to a generously sized transformer in the power-supply.
    But included a great padded transport bag..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My mandolin is not electrified but I did put the K&K in my Martin 000 and it sounds great through the qscK10. I also tried it with the small Yamaha mixer I have which allowed a bit of flexibility isn tone setting but direct in the guitar sounded great!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I've played through the AER, Henriksen, and Schertler. I'll add that I have also played through an Acoustic Image Corus. My favorite of all these for mandolin was the AER with the Acoustic Image a (very) close second. My AER was stolen, so I continue to play with my AI or a tube amp depending on the venue size and needs. The AER had the most true sound and effective onboard electronics of all the choices. I do prefer the dual powered XLR channels of the AI, but the single of the AER fit my needs 90% of the time. I've never been able to get a good mandolin sound from the Henriksen, and the Schertler was a very good amp, but the range was more guitar suited than mandolin.

OP here. Grateful for all the interesting comments so far. I shared in a private note that this is the very early stages of some research. I am lucky that around the larger DC area there are opportunities to find and try these amps, among friends if not among the better stores.

Of course, the next step is to arrange those "play dates." The goal is to take the 515 and the Boss AD-10, and try the amps with and without the Boss preamp. I'm planning trying out the Schertler and the S1 Pro when I visit a buddy soon. Otherwise I look forward to visiting a couple local stores.

In the meantime, keep the comments coming!

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Talk among your selves, All I could afford is a Roland AC-60,
    It's small but relatively heavy due to a generously sized transformer in the power-supply.
    But included a great padded transport bag..
    I get it. My older Loudbox is everything one could want for features. It certainly sounds fine enough, especially with the Boss AD-10 in front of it. It's also a big, bulky, 23 pounds, and AC only. Given the chance to move to a better sounding platform with 21st century features, I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Definitely consider something from Acoustic Image. I have an older Clarus head going into a pair of Acme B1 cabs and the sound is excellent. AI also makes several combos, if you want everything in one package.

AI build quality is legendary, and their customer service is top-notch. I've had a few email conversations with the owner of the company, who was very accessible and patiently answered my questions.
    &#@% yes- an Acoustic Image head with a pair of ACME B1s is one of the greatest live sounds you will ever get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works great for mandolin, guitar, double bass, and works excellent as a small PA. I've used the same setup for close to 500 gigs. When it gets louder, I have a 900 Watt AI head and a pair of ACME B2s! A single class D head with a variety of different cabinet sizes makes for a much more versatile and modular system than a fixed combo amp.

Acoustic Image has the best warranty in the business- whomever is the current owner, for the life of the product, no questions asked. Rick (who owns the company) has a jazz trio in Raleigh, so he definitely understands. I've blown one up on the job on a Sunday, dropped it in the mail on Monday, and had it back on the job for Friday night's gig. There is a thriving secondhand market for AI products, so you can usually pick them up for half the retail price. Made in USA right down the road!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1 stack.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	875.7 KB 
ID:	199546  
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    As far as a single combo amp I have been perfectly satisfied with the Acoustic Image Corus+ I bought +/- 7-8 years ago. These aren't made any longer but I'm sure the Acoustic Image co. has fine current options.

These days I use ether the Bose L1 model 2 with their ToneMatch for more open areas or the Bose S1 Pro (two of them) and the ToneMatch for tighter venues. They are both excellent options.

Billy
    I'm looking for a really compact form factor, if that wasn't clear from the examples I listed. Ideally keeping it under 20 pounds, and two-fingers easy to carry.

I’m having good luck with the Mesa Boogie Rosette 300. It is extremely versatile and fits the bill on what you want.

I use a K and K and go into a Grace Bix.

I found the amp used for good deal.
    Newson F 2021

I googled the Boogies and the manufacturer site didn't list the weight. The other Boogies I've known have been about as heavy for their size as anything out there. Always a surprise for someone being helpful and offering to carry that little amp....
    Great sound though

Yeah, Its pretty small and manageable to me. Dosent seem too heavy. I can weigh it for you if you want.
    Newson F 2021

《These days I use ether the Bose L1 model 2 with their ToneMatch for more open areas or the Bose S1 Pro (two of them) and the ToneMatch for tighter venues. They are both excellent options.》

My buddy slaves his S1 to his AER and swears the whole exceeds the sum of the parts.

Hi, i have two Bose S1 pros as well...My Eastman El rey mando sounds great through them what is the tone match again? is that the bose mixer?

31. The following members say thank you to jazzgtrl4 for this post: