Thread: Looking for new instrument

Default Looking for new instrument

HI there everyone I am new to this forum and fairly new to the mandolin. I am wanting to up grade my instrument and have a few options that are listed in the local craigslist ads close to where I live.
    The first one is a Weber Flat Iron.
    The second is a Howard Morris A-4
    And the third is a APC Carvalho Octave Mandolin.
    I am trying to stay away from instruments made in Asia and like the idea of ones that are domestically made.
    Anyone with any input about any of these instruments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks In advance!

Default Re: Looking for new instrument

Is the Weber an army -navy style mandolin, ie "pancake" model?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Any links or photos you have maybe helpful for us identify what instrument is best.

Also, welcome!

4. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Sonny Morris lives about an hour from me. We (pre-Covid) used to jam together with the local old time fiddlers chapter.

I have a hybrid F4 he built for me in 2010. I've had the opportunity to play a whole bunch of Morris mandolins over the past 12 years and they've all been consistently good. He'll tell you he builds for tone and playability.

A Flatiron is always a good choice too. I've never played the third one you mentioned.

6. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

The APC Carvahlo differs from both the Weber/Flatiron (is this referring to a Bruce Weber signed Flatiron?) and the Sonny Morris mandolin in that the APC 1) Isn't domestically made and 2) is an octave mandolin rather than a mandolin - so the question here would be are you thinking of getting it in addition to the mandolin you already own, or would it be replacing it? Have you played an octave mandolin before and are thinking you'd prefer the scale length and lower register?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Sonny Morris lives about an hour from me. We (pre-Covid) used to jam together with the local old time fiddlers chapter.

I have a hybrid F4 he built for me in 2010. I've had the opportunity to play a whole bunch of Morris mandolins over the past 12 years and they've all been consistently good. He'll tell you he builds for tone and playability.

A Flatiron is always a good choice too. I've never played the third one you mentioned.
    I think that there may be more than Morris builder out there. The one I am talking about is named Howard Morris from Oregon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00Y0Y_dDa1bNJ4Hp4z_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	199497  

Bruce Weber was a co-founder of Flatiron before he started his own Weber mandolin company, since sold to Two Old Hippies, I believe.

Flatirons came in several different styles; the early ones were the round, flat "pancake" styles based on the old Gibson Army-Navy and Alright models. The company went on to make carved-top F- and A-models, before Gibson bought them out and continued the "Flatiron" label for a while. Now the label appears on some mid-range instruments Gibson imports from China.

A Flatiron from the Weber days should be a good instrument, but you'd need to get a bit more specific about the model and the price. Send us links to the CraigsList ads, and we can be a bit more help.

Also: buying through private sale means that you don't have a dealer to discuss adjustments and set-up with. Proper set-up is crucial for anyone learning mandolin; they're generally a bit more finicky than guitars in terms of string height, bridge location etc. (Though I've seen many guitars that could use better set-ups!) You might assume that if someone's playing the mandolin that he/she's selling you, it'll be properly set up, but you can't always count on that.

Don't have an opinion on Morris mandolins, though they generally get good ink here on the Cafe. As Jill points out, an octave mandolin is really a different, though related, instrument; if what you want is to play mandolin, it's not suited. Make it your second instrument, after you learn to play...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I probably should have explained myself a little more. I want a new instrument because the one I am playing a Washburn MIS-A seems to me to have a poor lower end (G string tone) and a very quiet (e string tone). So I want to find an instrument that is more consistent on all strings. As far as looking at an Octave Mandolin goes, I was thinking that it would be interesting to play a instrument with a deeper tone and longer neck. And besides, who doesn't want to have another instrument to play??!!
    Here are a couple of photos of the ones I am looking at..... and the Morris is from Howard Morris a builder here in Oregon. Thanks for the positive responses!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00Y0Y_dDa1bNJ4Hp4z_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	199498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00l0l_gXCpwHE3geQz_0CI0sV_300x300.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	199499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00303_gZsUAFAPQEEz_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	199500  

Pierre, Sonny Morris and Howard Morris are the same person. Hope that clears things up.

You have three very different instruments there. It's kind of like asking if you should have apples, a steak or bike to work. That said, the APC is not going to be in the same class as the other two. It's a good way to see if you want to play octave mandolin without spending too much cash, though. Mr. Morris has a very fine reputation here, but I've never even seen one of his mandolins in person. I've had a few Flatiron pancakes and loved them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    Pierre, Sonny Morris and Howard Morris are the same person. Hope that clears things up.

You have three very different instruments there. It's kind of like asking if you should have apples, a steak or bike to work. That said, the APC is not going to be in the same class as the other two. It's a good way to see if you want to play octave mandolin without spending too much cash, though. Mr. Morris has a very fine reputation here, but I've never even seen one of his mandolins in person. I've had a few Flatiron pancakes and loved them all.
    That does clear things up thank you! I think that I may buy the Morris and the octave mandolin as well. I just can't get enough playing these days!

I have no experience with the Morris or the APC, but Morris get spoken of well on the Mandolin Cafe.

I really like those Flatirons, and you can find more information on them than you ever wanted here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...se-Flatiron-1N

Not quite 1,300 responses in that thread yet.

I have owned a Morris and often regret selling it. Howard packs a lot of value into his mandolins! I am also in Oregon and had seen those mandolins on CL. I would opt for the Morris given my own personal experience with Howard and his instruments. Also, Fall Creek where the Morris is located is a beautiful area...
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools

All three of these mandolins can be found on the Eugene CraigsList. The Morris is very attractively priced; the Flatiron is still a pretty good deal but closer to market value.

Octave mandolin is not a substitute for standard mandolin; they are different instruments that have different functions in an ensemble. But both are worth learning.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=mandolin
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

If it helps, you might think of an octave mandolin as a "guitar that you play like a mandolin", encompassing all of the advantages and/or disadvantages thereof. The high E strings are tuned the same; the mando's low G is tuned to a guitar's low E at the third fret.

And OF COURSE they're all fun!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Pouillon View Post
    I think that there may be more than Morris builder out there. The one I am talking about is named Howard Morris from Oregon.
    "Sonny" Morris is Howard Morris, in Irrigon, Oregon. He goes by Sonny. No one calls him Howard.

I came to mandolin by way of guitar and discovered the octave mandolin early on. I love the beefy tone & don't have a problem with the longer scale though, to be fair, my Weber is a shorty at 20" Though I haven't played a Flat Iron, I've had a few Webers & their necks are thick. I like their profile but it can be a real turn off to some. I haven't played the APC line but it sounds like more of a lateral move from your Washburn than a step up. I haven't played a Morris either but Sonny sounds like one of those humble builders who prolly underprices his work a little. I'd go for the Morris or the Weber.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics