Thread: Determining a fair sale price

Default Determining a fair sale price

I have an F model that is a "name brand" instrument. It currently has a street price of about $1100 new. This one is 3 years old and other than some honest playing wear, is in excellent condition and has an upgraded bridge (custom tuned Cumberland Acoustic). I'm trying to determine what a fair price for both seller and buyer would be. I haven't found any kind of formula or such kicking around. Thanks in advance.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Determining a fair sale price

Quote Originally Posted by Mainer73 View Post
    I have an F model that is a "name brand" instrument. It currently has a street price of about $1100 new. This one is 3 years old and other than some honest playing wear, is in excellent condition and has an upgraded bridge (custom tuned Cumberland Acoustic). I'm trying to determine what a fair price for both seller and buyer would be. I haven't found any kind of formula or such kicking around. Thanks in advance.
    70% +/- of new replacement value has always been my figure, though used everything seems to be trading at higher prices since the pandemic.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

There is no such thing as a "fair" price. You set a price you are happy with and if someone buys it, he must be happy too. Voilá.

Prices in our part of the world are determined by "supply and demand".
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    70% +/- of new replacement value has always been my figure, though used everything seems to be trading at higher prices since the pandemic.
    Thanks! That's what my gut was telling me but consensus is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by poul hansen View Post
    There is no such thing as a "fair" price. You set a price you are happy with and if someone buys it, he must be happy too. Voilá.

Prices in our part of the world are determined by "supply and demand".
    Fair point!

I've always wondered what's meant by the phrase "honest play wear." Is there some form of "dishonest play wear" to contrast it with? I suppose one could argue that deliberately distressing a new instrument, like the Ricky Scaggs distressed Master Model F5 from Gibson, might constitute a form of dishonest play wear. But not really, since the model is honestly advertised as being distressed, and not as some vintage instrument.

Wear is wear. Scratches, abrasions, chips, and dings are scratches, abrasions, chips, and dings.

...and puffery is puffery! Don't you agree?

6. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    I've always wondered what's meant by the phrase "honest play wear." Is there some form of "dishonest play wear" to contrast it with? I suppose one could argue that deliberately distressing a new instrument, like the Ricky Scaggs distressed Master Model F5 from Gibson, might constitute a form of dishonest play wear. But not really, since the model is honestly advertised as being distressed, and not as some vintage instrument.

Wear is wear. Scratches, abrasions, chips, and dings are scratches, abrasions, chips, and dings.

...and puffery is puffery! Don't you agree?
    Well put! I guess I was thinking of common descriptive terms that seem to convey something. A little fret wear, a couple of rub spots, a ding or two in the body is normal after a few years. It's part of an instrument's maturation and character building really. I guess the person who would give it a good home would understand what that means. But yes, it IS funny how we use certain terms to try and convey something universal. This particular mandolin would be a coveted monster if it had a few years of Ricky Skaggs' "honest playing wear" 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I agree. I’d say that asking, and possibly selling, prices are more like 75-80% these days. You might check the Café Classifieds and Reverb to see how many other similar mandos are on the market and what their asking prices are.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Not always easy. I strive to sell an instrument that I no longer use with a honest description and a fair price. Deciding this can take in many factors to ponder. i.e. I have an Ibenez bowl back that I bought out of curiosity from the Cafe classifieds for approximately $275 that I may get around to listing for resale. Reasons I have not listed it is I do not know how to describe it. It seems to play well but I do not like the flat fret board. The action and intonation is good. As per tone I have little experience with bowl backs to claim it to have good tone, OK tone or poor tone. And just because I don't like wrapping my arm around the body or the flat fret board, I have no idea how someone else may like it. So, I ask my self," should I resell it for what I paid for it or sell it for substantially less because I don't care for it and not wanting to disappoint a buyer?".
    Typically on a sale that I am more familiar I would use as previously suggested 70% of new cost to arrive at a resale price. But, not all resales are that easy. In good conscience I could not use the 70% rule for an instrument that I think I overpaid for or 70% for a really nice instrument that has gone up in value.
    Arrive at what you think is fair and if you get a lot of buyers you will know you could have sold it for more and no takers relist it at a lower price.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Resident Hack

Quote Originally Posted by poul hansen View Post
    Fair point!
    He made a point he was happy with. You must have been happy with it too
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Blog Entries

I'm trying to determine what a fair price for both seller and buyer would be.
    I personally think this is a pointless activity. The price will be negotiated between you and the buyer, with you claiming your price is fair (or the fair price) and the buyer claiming that the offer is, really, the fair price. In the end "fair price" doesn't hold much wait.

I think, going in, one has to figure out the number that matters, number below which you are not willing sell it. (And of course keep it to yourself. ) How far above that number your buyer is willing to offer is the magic of negotiating (during which both sides will talk about street value, fair value, collectors value, other offers for similar instruments, "what-they-go-for" value, all kinds of notions of objective value, with the hopes the other person is persuaded.)
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

As a buyer, as I've gotten older, I haggle less. If the price is within what I feel is realistic, I just buy it. As a seller, I usually start with a bit higher than what I'll accept, so the buyer can negotiate down some. If you come across as fair and reasonable I will bend some. If you come across as a shark, know it all, or act condesending then chances are slim we'll make a deal.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    ... or (not) 70% for a really nice instrument that has gone up in value.
    Good point. I think most here are quietly assuming an instrument in the "intermediate past" range, maybe 4 to 10 years old, 15 at most. Get much older than that, and inflation distorts the calculations.

Case in point: In '90, I bought an 18 y/o Martin D-35 for $650; it had sold for around $450 when new, and should have sold for ~$950 in '90, except that it had assorted cosmetic dings AND a cracked back brace. I almost passed except that my wife, bless her, loved the tone and ... ya know ... I spent $650. Another $65 at Mandolin Brothers fixed the back brace and -surprise to me!- made the surface dings largely disappear. (Per Leroy Aiello, the buffing wheel generates heat, softens the surface, expands the wood a bit and, voila, it's pretty flat!) Today it would go for $2K or so if perfect, so I suspect that ~$1,600 would be a fair price. Not bad for a $450 guitar... at 50 years old!

BTW: In spite of Martin's reputation for the early '70s, its intonation is perfect and its sound -again, surprise to me- gets the BG folks drooling. Yeah, gonna keep it!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

15. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

In past years you could see what instruments were selling for by going to eBay, doing and advanced search and looking at the sold prices. That number will be green. If any number of that brand and model had sold you could see what they had been selling for. It's not a bad place to start. Don't pay any attention to what things are listed for on that site or on Reverb. If for example you were looking at all Kentucky mandolins you would see this.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

17. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

It is all a very subjective thing, to me, aet least. I look on Ebay, Reverb, and here on the Cafe. I see if they or open to bids or is it a fixed price. I know what the fees/costs are and what the shipping is and I mix all that up with how much I want to sell it or buy it. Sometimes you just want to sell it and move on and some times you say to your self, "I want this much or I am willing to keep it." Also, more and more I come up with what I think is a good and fair price and set it, I don't open it to bids, I just set a price, fully conscious of how much I am going to end up with after the "dust settles". I have found on Ebay and Reverb, that after the deal is done feels paid shippoing done, I end up with about 87% of what I sell it for. After the deal, I try real hard to not to fall into second guessing. We all like to buy low and sell high. The deal is done and I try to move on.

As others have pointed out, these days there is a lot more wiggle room for prices. Depending on how much wear, the 70 percent was a good suggestion. Edge bumps vs pick/fingernail wear can have an influence.

It's all a case of supply and demand. Definitely check Reverb and eBay for selling prices. IMO they are a better guideline than the old Orion Blue Book.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

If it's still in good shape, you might get about two-thirds of what you paid.

If you put the make and model in the search field at Reverb.com, it'll tell you what it (or something comparable) is getting today.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Many years ago when purchasing a small business, my lawyer handling the deal said regarding pricing: Not a penny less then he'll take or a nickel more than you want to spend.

I'm sorry, it stuck with me for many years
    You can't get there from here.

22. The following members say thank you to DPrager for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Many years ago [pre internet], I was having a conversation with Fletcher Bright, who was a modestly well known fiddler who ran a good sized, successful real estate business.
    We were discussing an instrument that I had put on the market and sold in only a few days.
    I asked him: "Did I sell it too cheap?"
    His response was: "Maybe you sold it for just the right price."

24. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Many ways to look at this, as I see it. Everybody likes to sell for top dollar. Everybody likes to buy at a bargain price. Like previously stated, being fair would be something in between, IMHO.

I've purchased many instruments at "retail" and once in a while I get a "deal" on something. If I got a deal, then I can't lose. If I paid retail, I still can't lose -- unless I bought for resale. In other words, if you keep 'em it doesn't matter. A good friend of mine is a big-time art collector who told me he doesn't mind "overpaying" because he never sells anything -- and often paying full price eliminated his "competition". Most of us can't afford to think that way.

Most people want to sell for top dollar, just like a vintage instrument store, when in fact, the individual has no overhead whereas the store does. Common sense would say the individual can sell for less and still be fine, taking into account age, wear, and the "fun" the instrument has already brought you.

I guess the simple answer is check what stuff has recently sold for as comparison -- NOT what people are asking. Sometimes this is difficult to determine. Checking eBay's completed items will give you the "real" number -- usually a lot less than the big retailers ask.....but that is just one source.

On a related note, talking about shortages of supply and things going for much more than retail, my sister and I recently inherited Mom's house and put it on the market. Of course, we heard of the so-called housing shortage and things causing a bidding war and selling for way over the asking price. Well, it may have been our local market, this house was certainly nice enough, but when it came down to it, we had only two offers, both under our asking price. The better offer fell through and we ended up taking the lower one -- and felt lucky to get it. The point being don't count on an increased market.

OTOH, you just need one interested party! Good luck.

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Everybody assumes that a seller want "top dollar" for his items but that doesn't have to be the case. I often sell to a low price, just to be sure of a fast deal or to make room for another buy or to let the buyer profit from my own good deal when I bought the item. Some items I just want to get rid of but they are too good to discard, so I set a low price or even give them away.

It IS possible to set a price which doesn't give you maximum profit but what you consider a reasonable/adequate profit.
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

A friend and former band mate has had me sell a number of guitars for him. In setting the price, I always determine what is the minimum the seller needs to get minus my fee. He always had nice guitars and would set a low reasonable amount, stating that he gigged with them and they made him money so he didn't need to get "retail".
    I never failed to sell one for him and it was usually more than his minimum.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

28. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post: