Thread: Happy birthday Feb 18

Default Happy birthday Feb 18

We have been remiss in allowing February 18 to pass us by without acknowledging it as a famous date in the history of Loar-signed F5 mandolins. Lloyd must have had to take the afternoon off after signing all those labels. No other date has as many signatures as Feb. 18, 1924, the exact number not being precisely known. Quite a few of that day's batch ended up in the hands of some famous players, including LAL himself. Other notables include John Reischman, Chris Thile (x2), Tut Taylor/Herschel Sizemore, and George Smedley (owner of the Orpheum Banjo and MandolinOrchestra). That's 98 years and counting.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Happy birthday Feb 18

I love the first batch of Feb.18th 24's! I played mine on its sig. B-day yesterday and it's a sweetie #75319.

Hey Bill, happy birthday 75319! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

4. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes, Sir Hendrik, I love this old gal! The first batch of these Feb.18th's all have it going on and mine is no exception. The Gil re-varnish looks the part and sure doesn't interfere with the voice of this one! I'm thrilled it was sent to Gil in 97 to get rid of that 50's Gibson heavy lacquer and the 50's block pearl board! I think the Loars that were re-finished in say the 40's-50's should all be re-varnished correctly! Well, I've also seen a few from the 60's-80's that could also benefit from a correct re-varnish!

6. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post: