Thread: Another satisfied new Northfield owner. NFS-F5

Default Another satisfied new Northfield owner. NFS-F5

Just picked up an NFS-F5 Saturday and couldn't be more happy with it. This was sort of a surpise as I wasn't really looking for anything. I was playing a early 90's Flatiron Performer which Is a great mandolin and enjoy, but never quite do it for me all the way. I got to compare both to a couple used Webers, Collings MT, a Pava, and Gibson F9, all excellent and very different and with everything being subjective, for me the Northfiled fit me the best and was the only one that felt like a true step up in all catergories more than lateral upgrade of compromising different preferences .For me the biggest home run was the neck. The 5.7 radius I always thought would be too much raidus, the larger frets and neck shape, it "feels like a glove" and I knew I had to take it home.

Default Re: Another satisfied new Northfield owner. NFS-F5

I can't speak highly enough of the Northfield mandolins, especially at the price point.

I've been gigging mine regularly since I bought it two or three months ago, I have nothing but great things to report. I thought I wanted the wide nut, but ended up preferring the standard width. Which variant did you end up purchasing? I grabbed the Engelmann, I like the extra warmth and sparkle it gives over the Adirondack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51849239411_30fafb7652_h.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	525.9 KB 
ID:	199694
    1913 Gibson F2 (Blacktop)
    2022 Big Muddy Mandola (M-16, Ziricote back and sides, Adirondack top)
    2022 Kentucky KM-120 (Elevated fretboard conversion)
    1940s Kay Banjolin
    1930s Martin Style 0 Ukulele
    1920s Vega Senator Plectrum Banjo (GDAE octave mando tuning)

Enjoy, I certainly love mine. Bought it pretty spontaneously wanting to step up from my Loar 600 I learned on. Since then I have also tried out many other models, often more expensive, but I am always delighted to go back to my Northfield. Recently picked up a Pava A on the classifieds here which caught my eye and checked all the boxes. While I love the sound of the Pava, I don't like it any more than the Northfield. Its just different. On the other hand, I find the Northfield to be substantially more responsive and playable than the Pava.

Welcome to the club.

I got my F5S after spending an afternoon at Fiddlers in Austin playing everything they had on the wall, including Collings, Ellis, Gibson, Pava and Weber. They all sounded great, but the Northfield was the one I kept coming back to. Should have bought it on the spot, but I was actually looking for a A style. I wasn't back home more than a couple days before I bought a good used one from Morgan.

Enjoy!
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

What a success story... the Northfield "Big Mon" and their NFS-F5! The folks at Northfield have got these two models dialed in! Think about it... both quite different in their looks, appointments and sound yet both come to the marketplace with price tags (including excellent, in-house-produced cases) under $5K.

Granted, $4K-$5K is by no means an inexpensive, beginner's mandolin... but I feel these two instruments are still the unbeatable values in the mandolin marketplace.

The A5 Special is NF's most bang for the buck model, I think. I have 3 of them currently because they are so irresistible. I think the price has increased since I got mine and I got 2 of mine as used for 2500 and that's just ridiculous. These are like a gift to the mando community, especially if one pops up used...

The Music Emporium as an absolutely gorgeous A5 Special right now. Im hoping I can make the ride over to give it a whirl before it heads out the door.

I used my F5S in a demo I recorded last night, if anyone wants to hear what it sounds like through a Shure SM7B, blended with a K&K Twin going through a Red Eye preamp:

1913 Gibson F2 (Blacktop)
    2022 Big Muddy Mandola (M-16, Ziricote back and sides, Adirondack top)
    2022 Kentucky KM-120 (Elevated fretboard conversion)
    1940s Kay Banjolin
    1930s Martin Style 0 Ukulele
    1920s Vega Senator Plectrum Banjo (GDAE octave mando tuning)

Quote Originally Posted by stinkoman20xx View Post
    Just picked up an NFS-F5 Saturday and couldn't be more happy with it. This was sort of a surpise as I wasn't really looking for anything. I was playing a early 90's Flatiron Performer which Is a great mandolin and enjoy, but never quite do it for me all the way. I got to compare both to a couple used Webers, Collings MT, a Pava, and Gibson F9, all excellent and very different and with everything being subjective, for me the Northfiled fit me the best and was the only one that felt like a true step up in all catergories more than lateral upgrade of compromising different preferences .For me the biggest home run was the neck. The 5.7 radius I always thought would be too much raidus, the larger frets and neck shape, it "feels like a glove" and I knew I had to take it home.
    I picked up a blond NFS-F5 this past fall. Due to the plague I had to buy sight unseen. It is definitely an upgrade from the J Bovier I had but I have not had the opportunity to compare it to any high-end mandolins. Maybe not knowing is better

I think you would find that the F5S would compare very, very favorably...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    I picked up a blond NFS-F5 this past fall. Due to the plague I had to buy sight unseen. It is definitely an upgrade from the J Bovier I had but I have not had the opportunity to compare it to any high-end mandolins. Maybe not knowing is better
    I love the one I just bought, but I am so jealous you have a blonde one!

Quote Originally Posted by stinkoman20xx View Post
    I love the one I just bought, but I am so jealous you have a blonde one!
    I waited until a blonde was available and jumped on it immediately. It's all personal preference but I like the looks of the lighter color

14. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post: