Thread: Alligators with tooth pain report here

Default Alligators with tooth pain report here

The odd, probably homebuilt small-body object reported here before has been operated upon and is playable. The odd aspects may be of interest.
    This is the item, sourced from SGW for $25:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1466706C-1F3F-44BF-8422-E216DDC4FAB9.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	199692

The issues were - the (walnut, I now think) top had no braces, the neck alignment so low that the bridge was a sliver and, on a flat-top, no breakover angle. The neck and block were one piece, but there was a crack. On bowlbacks, since the block is glued to everything, this can be the end of a rescue, so no hesitation about surgery. I sawed through the neck right at the ends of the staves after removing the fingerboard. Changed the neck angle by sanding, planed it flat. To reattach, made an internal bulkhead out of plywood behind the block, making a longitudinal clamp to glue it. Added a small mahogany tailblock, as none existed, and used the same clamp to hold it in place. Made and added two transverse braces, one near the bridge, one forward of the sound hole. All this, of course, without taking the top off. Then drilled a clearance hole from the outside through the block and plywood, then used it plus the drill bit to locate the neck, about 3/16 higher and at the new angle. A brass threaded anchor was tapped for 1/4-20 and screwed/glued into the neck heel. A hardened allen-head bolt and washer holds it all together. Used allen head because of the really difficult access in case it had to be adjusted later. Added shim under the fretboard extension to bear on the top.
    The tail end, being unusually narrow, had a deformed standard cloud tailpiece, anchored to the body and came with this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07D19C60-C3DF-45FB-995D-6D505727072E.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	338.5 KB 
ID:	199693.
    Probably a first for you people! I’m thinking that this idea may have merit for securing end pins, if not too disturbing to contemplate. Anyway, I removed this, substituting a nut and bolt through the new tailblock, but the tailpiece remains somewhat ugly.
    The old bridge now is raised temporarily on softwood, and its strung up with ultralight GHS.
    If that isn’t odd enough, I really like to play it!
    Easy action, the narrow body allows better access high up, but the appeal is that, although pretty quiet, the tone is sort of vox humana, that is, reedy like an oboe, and complex. Just the thing at bedtime. Didn’t expect anything other than practice woodwork out of it.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Alligators with tooth pain report here

Such a satisfying thing to do, Richard. You have taken an unplayable instrument and given it new life.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

What do alligators with tooth pain have to do with this?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    What do alligators with tooth pain have to do with this?
    Reptile dentistry: the term used hereabouts for instrument building/repair completed with molly bolts, duct tape, hairpins, and papier mâché.

6. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Ah, thank you. Another term to add to my vocabulary.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Did Stan Jay of Mandolin Brothers coin the "reptile dentistry" term? I know I first encountered it in one of the MB newsletters.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

It doesn’t turn up in a couple of the slang sources I looked at, but did understand it on first view. When I lived in TX, heard a lot of ‘agricultural’ and other terms that shall not be repeated. There’s ‘Good enough for government work’, one not understood by those not so engaged.
    I do like ‘agricultural’ because there’s a sense of the continuous make-do and creativity on the farm, which is not a bad thing.
    Alligators, not in my backyard.

Yes, I've also heard as a youngster many politically incorrect ways of saying the same thing. I won't repeat them here, of course. Plus, alligator dentistry is funnier!

Haha that toggle does not surprise me. I'm no pro but I saw a guitar once that had crazy glue loaded into the neck pocket to fill the gaps. I assumed crazy glue because of residue around the back. They drilled a dowel through it and pocket drilled and installed a framing screen from the back. I bet the pro's have seen a lot of other really odd ball things happen! That said I kind of like the shape of that body and it almost has a retile looking shape to match the dentistry comment!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.