Thread: 1935 Martin model 20 in today's classifieds - interesting!

Default 1935 Martin model 20 in today's classifieds - interesting!

I was fascinated by this "mint" condition 1935 Martin in the classifieds today. I am very happy with my mandolins and not in the market BUT I would certainly like to hear what anyone knows about this style Martin. To my taste it is aesthetically quite beautiful. Has anyone ever played one? What did you think? I have never seen or heard one before, so it is a new instrument to me. Thanks for any input on history or quality!
    Here is the picture from the ad:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C751FEC9-42F0-45CA-9B39-11FBE7797AC3.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	199695

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: 1935 Martin model 20 in today's classifieds - interesting!

Being sold by Nino Vicari....

Any relation to Giovanni Vicari?

MandoPops?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

In a nutshell, a bright, clear oval hole tone.

They have a bit of their own thing, different from a Gibson, different from a carved Lyon & Healy, and different and stronger than a Martin flatback.
    And not anything like a Martin F-hole model.

Bill Bolick of the Blue Sky Boys played one throughout his career.

We don't see very many of these. There were 232 made between 1929 and 1942, and 30 more between 1949 and 1957.
    I've played just a handful of Martin's carved oval hole mandolins. I thought them quite good. To me, it was a much more successful design than their F-hole models.
    Last edited by rcc56; Feb-22-2022 at 7:31pm.

5. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Being sold by Nino Vicari....

Any relation to Giovanni Vicari?

MandoPops?

Mick
    I had the very same thought and the family does live in Long Island. I have seen a few of the Style 20 and a few friends have them. I agree they are better than the later 2-20 (f-holes) however the price is overly optimistic and the only reason that they can expect to get that might be the association with Giovanni Vicari and his playing in the Godfather and various recordings. Going retail price would be between $2k-3k. There is one at GC for $2300, one listed as sold on Reverb for $2500 and Bob Page has one for $2000. $6000 is over the top unless you were a big fan of Vicari.

Here is a photo from his Find-a-Grave page with his style 20.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VicariGiovanni_martin20.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	199697

And a 10 year thread about him.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Current thread by someone who loves his Style 20.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

To everyone above that replied: great info and THANKS!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Yes, Mick, definitely a relation to the great Giovanni.
    It's not Mr. V's, but it's a stunning looking Martin. I'm sure it sounds great. Like rcc56 said, these Martin are neither L & Hs or Gibsons, just beautiful in their own way.

I think the only Style 20 Martin I've ever played was Mr. Vicari's. I sat next to him countless hours with him playing it. It always sounded wonderful. Of course, any of his Mandolins sounded wonderful in his hands. Even when he picked up my lowly A50, it sounded better. I would occasionally play his Martin. I loved it, but I always felt like an interloper. Like it was saying to me, "Who is This Guy? Take your hands off me."

Joe B
    Last edited by mandopops; Feb-23-2022 at 2:00pm.
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

No one seems to be commenting on the high asking price for this mandolin, close to 3X what it should be. This looks to be in excellent condition. Of course, the seller also has a Loar era F-4 for sale with a hefty price as well. Maybe testing the waters?

I took lessons from Roy Smeck for a number of years in the 1980s and I remember that his family was selling his instruments and ephemera through Mandolin Brothers for one big price. IIRC it was something around $100,000 and this was in the early 1990s. And there were no Loar f-5s in that collection though there were a couple of high end B&D tenor banjos.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

This thread (and the other linked threads) likely made that price seem a lot more reasonable. Nothing like a good discussion on the MC to pique interest in an otherwise little known instrument. That is not a criticism, btw. Just how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buesseler View Post
    This thread (and the other linked threads) likely made that price seem a lot more reasonable. Nothing like a good discussion on the MC to pique interest in an otherwise little known instrument. That is not a criticism, btw. Just how it works.
    Hmmmm… $6000 is closer to an mint condition F-4 or even considerably more than a top of the line Lyon & Healy. I do get that praise here will bump up the market price but not so much.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    No one seems to be commenting on the high asking price for this mandolin, close to 3X what it should be. ....Hmmmm… $6000 is closer to an mint condition F-4 or even considerably more than a top of the line Lyon & Healy. I do get that praise here will bump up the market price but not so much.
    I do recall some years ago the controversial "Eugene Factor" on the anecdotal price of Martin bowlbacks.

I don't think the asking price of this is the real interest here, Jim......

MandoJoePops, what is the relation of Nino V to Giovanni V? Two Martin 20s in the same family?

There's got to be a great story in that.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I have a 1929 Style 20. Its not as pristine as the 1935 referenced here, but quite close. The 1929 has no headstock decal or fretboard binding, but a nicer ebony pickguard. Both the 1929 and 1935 were priced at $75 without case.

My 1929 was a pain to play when I got because of the teeny bar frets. Martin changed to T frets in 1934, but I have no knowledge if the sample 1935 has them. Bob Chuckrow changed my 1929 mando frets to a larger T style, and it was transformed. With its short scale, it couldn't be better.

The tone of my 1929 is clear, strong, and bright. I don't think it wants for volume. Its unique, with distinctive voice. I find that Thomastic strings bring out it best.

I would value my Style 20 at about $2500 in its present condition. I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for the 1935, even if it is like new.