Thread: Wintergrass 2022

Default Wintergrass 2022

anybody go/going? I couldn't today, kills me to miss Trischka and the Dawg..
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Default Re: Wintergrass 2022

Dawg Trio opened the festival yesterday. Quite great. I’m here through Saturday afternoon. Hope I run into some of you all. Driving over from the Columbia basin was not a lot of fun. Flipped over cars spread from hell to breakfast.

They are live streaming the Grand stage every night. Go to Wintergrass website for info. Dawg was good last night, Trishka was not there.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Well, I throughly enjoyed the Wintergrass Livestream this past weekend. The Grand stage was streamed Thurs-Sun and other than a few very minor start-up glitches Thursday it was great. Because life gets in the way I was able to go back and watch the daily recordings for a few groups that I missed live. Kudos to the entire Wintergrass team for pulling this off, already looking forward to 2023.

Anyone who was there please to chime in with an in-person perspective.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Obviously it was a different festival than previous years. Smaller crowd due to restricted capacity, less random jamming. Fewer builders were there as well.

But the music was wonderful, Kenny and Amanda Smith, Sister Sadie, Laurie Lewis, Michael Cleveland, Mr. Sun and newcomers Never Come Down we’re all great. But the Traveling McCourys were terrific. They had sound issues in the beginning of their set on Sunday but played right through it. When they got to the end, I was about to yell ‘Let er go’, but Ronnie announced the tune to close the set. (We think alike but our hands work differently .

This was our second festival this year and everyone was so grateful for the opportunity to be together.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I'll be at the Tahoe WWG
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

A big thank you to everyone who helped make the Fretboard Journal Wintergrass Vintage Instrument Workshop a fun and successful event again this year. It is always a collaborative effort to have folks come together at this one place and time to gather so many cool vintage instruments in one room. The artists skill levels and tasteful playing showed everyone how great the instruments can sound. I can't thank Kenny Smith, Dale Adkins, Joe K. Walsh and Sharon Gilchrist enough. For more than an hour and a half, we heard them play guitars and mandolin family instruments from as old as 1848, with many golden era examples highlighted including a '34 D-18, a '34 D-28, a '34 000-18, a '35 D-28, a ’43 D-18 and a ’44 D-28, many 1930’s Regals, Washburns, two Gibson Roy Smecks, a Gibson 1924 Loar F-5, a 1924 Gibson Loar H-5 mandola and a 1929 Fern F-5, along with Regal and Lyon & Healy mandos and mandolas. Look for Jason at Fretboard Journal to post the video soon.

Thanks as always to Wintergrass – 4 days of way too much musical fun, all indoors in a lovely hotel with 4 stages, workshops and jamming until the sun comes up. It is held every year at the end of February in Bellevue, Washington. If you have not been to Wintergrass, you simply need to plan to go – it’s one the best music festivals in the country. Thanks to all of those who came out this year and wore masks all weekend – and we hope to see more of you next year for what everyone hopes will be a festival looking more like old times. Wintergrass 2023 is set for February 23-26 - and we will do a vintage instrument workshop again next year.

Thanks again to Jim Brown at Jet City Guitars, Bill Clements at Rosewood Guitar, Greg Boyd’s House of Fine Instruments, Martin Stillion and the Seattle Mandolin Orchestra, Perry Beckham, Chuck Egner, Rob Newsome, Robb Bell, Steve Blanchard and many, many others for all of their help.