Thread: Summit Mandolin Models

Default Summit Mandolin Models

Can anyone educate me on the various Summit Mandolin models. Is the 200 S/A model the same as the Artist model? Seems like they are great Mandolins from the post I have read. However I have had some difficulty finding any information or specs. The website seems to be sold and the Summit Facebook page does not appear updated.

Default Re: Summit Mandolin Models

I sent an email to Paul Schneider last week but no reply. I'm beginning to to think he has stopped trading. Pity because his mandolins were wonderful.

Yeah, I sent an email and never got a response. I ordered a used Summit S/A made in 2007. It should arrive this week. As with all on-line orders I have not played or listen to the Mandolin, but I feel he made quality instruments with great sound. I was trying to learn more about his instruments. Hoping it’s the one that will satisfy my MAS as I always heard they were great instruments.

I tried to contact him a couple of years ago with no success.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Sounds like Paul no longer makes or taking a break from making Mandolins . Hope he hasn’t quite all together building as everyone seems to love his Mandolins. Summit owners should hold on tight to their beloved Mandolins as we may not see another new one anytime soon. Guess that might blow the whole life-time warranty thing away for original owners. I think Paul is a great repair guy as well as an amazing builder. Never met the guy but always heard he was extremely likable and good to deal with.

Maybe Lynn Dudenbostel would know about Paul.

My Summit Mandolin arrived and it is an excellent Mandolin. I was pleased with the build, finish and sound. A really loud Mandolin that plays like butter. I could not be happier with the instrument. I believe the S/A model is referred to as the Summit Artist. Hope to learn more about Summit and if Paul is still building. Paul really knows how to build one fine instrument.

8. The following members say thank you to Sloppy Joe for this post:

Blog Entries

Congratulations Sloppy Joe! Summits are tremendous. Can't wait for you to post photos!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I had some correspondence with Paul back in May-June 2021. My Artist F5 was starting to have issues with the celluloid blocks on the points disintegrating. At first it looked like crazing in the finish then little pieces started to fall out, clearly showing that the celluloid was fracturing and crumbling away. I reached out in April to see about warranty repair and when I got him on the phone he said he had just had some flooding issues on his property that affected the shop so he was going to have to do the work elsewhere. He said this was the first he had heard of folks having issues with the celluloid blocks.

I remember him saying that he was not able to start building again until the grounds were repaired and he was also considering moving the workshop. He wasn't going to be able to build any new instruments until he was settled but he was willing to do some warranty work. He had me send it out to a glass & mirror shop in Lebanon, TN. He finished the work and sent it back about 2 weeks later. He said he was mainly filling his days with construction work and odd jobs around the community.

On a whim I recently tried visiting the website and it came back 404. I hope he can build again because he makes a spectacular mandolin. My F5 has been my one and only on countless gigs, recording sessions, festivals, camps, and masterclasses over the last two plus decades.
    1999 Summit Artist F5 #132 - ToneGard - McClung Rest - BaileyStrap - BlueChip
    Roscoe, Fodera, Sadowsky, Fender, Danelectro, Kala basses
    Anton Krutz ¾ double bass w/C extension, Pierre-Yves Fuchs french bow
    Bourgeois, Collings, Santa Cruz, Martin, Cervantes, Montalvo, Fender guitars
    Kanile'a, aNueNue, Kala ukuleles
    1960 Petosa AM-900 43/120 piano accordion
    Drums/percussion, Bb clarinet, soprano/alto/tenor sax, trumpet, trombone

11. The following members say thank you to Brad Maestas for this post:

I seem to remember his daughter posting on a thread a few years ago. You might be able to do a search and see if you could find that thread.