Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Chip v Primetone?

Default Blue Chip v Primetone?

Oh no! Not another pick thread!

Much has been said on the Cafe about Blue Chip picks. I’ve no intention of buying one/any - I can’t help feeling they’re ove-priced and I suspect they’re not easily available in the UK.

I’m quite happy with Primetones (and the odd Wegen) but having seen pictures of them - there are some in the Classifieds right now - to me, they look exactly like a Primetone. What is the difference; if any?

2. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Default Re: Blue Chip v Primetone?

I've tried the Primetones, both the smooth and the sculpted ones and for me I don't think they're like Blue Chips at all. Now granted I don't use super heavy picks, so maybe it's different if you're comparing a 1.5mm Bluechip and a 1.5mm Primetone, but for me I find that the Primetones are noisier - they seem to grab the string a wee bit vs. the Blue Chips that feel like they glide across them. I know other folks feel like they're very similar, so your mileage may vary. The Primetones aren't made of Vespel, which is the material Bluechips are made with, so while they may be the same colour more or less, the material used and what it feels like in the hand is different from a Bluechip.

Back in 2009 I scoffed at the thought of spending $30 for a Blue Chip but decided to give one a go, figuring it would be easy enough to sell it on if I didn't like it. I've had the same Blue Chip pick since then and there is barely any wear visible on it. I've also picked up a couple of second hand ones in different gauges here in the classifieds for guitar playing.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

4. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Years ago I tried every recommended mandolin pick I could find and settled on between 1.2mm and 1.5mm as the right gauge for me. Then I started comparing the different brands and finally got a BlueChip CT55. I became convinced the hype was worth it. It's quite amazing how it just doesn't wear out and feels good and sounds good.

Then after using the CT55 exclusively for a few years, I decided to do an A/B comparison with all my other picks including the Primetone (can't remember the gauge and the letters were worn off). And wow! the Primetone really is close to my ears. Loved it. Think I paid $2.95 for it. So my brain starts doing the old calculation "hmmm, $2.95 vs $35 for almost the same thing feel and tone wise".

But I already owned a BlueChip and have never needed to buy another. However if the chance of losing a pick was greater for me, then I think I would use a more affordable pick.

Final thoughts: a ton of great sounding mandolin music was recorded before the BlueChip pick was invented which in my mind proves that it's not the pick that counts.

6. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

I think Jill said it well. The best part is the glide thru the strings, that few picks have. I used them for years, but like a thinner pick and went to a Wegen. I started with their thinnest pick. I thinned them down and then had them make me a few thinner. I have used the primetone and have a few, sound wise they are not bad, not a BC or Wegen, but not bad. I don't like the drag of the pick and prefer the sound of the Wegen. I will say if you have bright sounding mandolin the BC will tame it down. The reason I changed was I have a very warm sounding mandolin and the G string was too dead sounding with a BC. I still use a BC on guitar.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

As Jill points out, the picks are made of different material. She finds the Primetone noisier. I don't really find the smooth Primetone to be that noisy compared to my Blue Chip. Then again, I've fallen in and out of love with Blue Chips multiple times since I started using them. There are times I can't stand the noise from the Blue Chip. And presently am using even thinner picks on a couple of mandolins.

Are they worth the cost? To me, yes. To others, no.

At least it's cheaper to experiment with picks than going out and buying a different instrument to see if it will work for you.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Vespel? I’ve specified this for other purposes for decades. Maybe should look through the scrap bin and experiment. It was quite expensive then, and still is. One of the properties I didn’t care about is that it’s slippery and makes good bearings where metals will not work. I guess that’s useful for a pick. Probably would be ok for mandolin nuts, except for the color. Maybe, like the bunch of tantalum blocks that were lying around innocently until we did some housekeeping, we could be sitting on valuable scrap Vespel!

I really wanted to have Nashville’s experience with Primetones, but, other than the color, there’s no comparison to BC, IME. The feel, string glide, and tone are all different. To me the BC picks are better in all categories. To others that may not be the case. My second favorite picks are Wegens. Also, I’ve worn out a couple of Primetones when trialing them, but am still playing the first 2 BC I bought maybe around 2010 or 2011. CT-55 and TAD-40. My wife got me a TAD 60 for Christmas last year that I use on my main mandolin and think I like even better than the CT-55.

I was very happy playing Wegens until I bought that first BC, but really have never looked back.

As others have mentioned, the material is different. I found the bluechip is smoother to play with, and less pick noise than the primetones. To me, the difference was night and day, so the cost was more than worth it. However, if you just can't get yourself to spend 30+ on a pick, put it on the birthday/Christmas list. It makes a wonderful gift for a musician from somebody that "doesn't know what to get them". My wife actually got my bluechip for me for Christmas since I wouldn't pull the trigger myself. Been using it every since.

Thanks for the opinions so far. Are we generally comparing the blunt or pointy versions of each?

Personally, I don’t get on with the pointy Primetones and find them noisier than the blunt and tend to get slightly hung in the strings - which seems to what people are saying when comparing the BCs and PTs.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post

Much has been said on the Cafe about Blue Chip picks. I’ve no intention of buying one/any - I can’t help feeling they’re ove-priced and I suspect they’re not easily available in the UK.

I’m quite happy with Primetones (and the odd Wegen) but having seen pictures of them - there are some in the Classifieds right now - to me, they look exactly like a Primetone. What is the difference; if any?
    Interesting point of view.

BC picks are easily available. The manufacturer sends them overseas. There´s no hassle with customs.

They don´t sound like Primetones at all (I´ve got either, Primetone bla bla and BC, both teardrop pointy about equaly thick = ca.1.2 mm)

I don´t like the sound that the BC produces at all (the only instrument that this pick works on is my 1990 Martin D-16M). I do like the sound that the Primetone pick produces a lot better. It is a little harsh though. I can accept it on my pricey F-5 style mandolin.

I like Wegen picks waaayyy better on all instruments. Wegen picks and Hense Happy Turtle (casein) picks are a tie when it comes to soud. Wegens are a lot less expensive.

And I do like the sound of the material that shall not be named. Wegens and Hense picks get close. BC and Primetones don´t.
    Olaf

I like the large triangle shape with a little bit of a point. I tried the blunt Prime Tones as well just to see, but, as is the case with Golden Gate or Dawg shaped picks, I just couldn’t get volume without playing really hard. The TAD 60 1R has one rounded/blunt corner, and it gives me better tone and volume than the other rounded picks I’ve tried, but not by much. I almost never use that corner unless I’m trying to be quiet. But, there are those who use that shape exclusively and sound great, so…

I get click with the Primetone, not with the BC. But I mostly use a D’Andrea Radex now, as it’s a little softer, ie, it has a bit of flex. When it feels too soft, I just grab a thicker one. ~$1 each.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

For several years I used blue chips. Then I wanted to get used to a triangle so I got some Primetone 1.4s first. I liked them so much that I just stuck with them.
    Cary Fagan

Different picks appeal to me on different days. I enjoy the Primetone 1.4 large triangles, but they've fallen out of the rotation over the past months. My ear really digs casein picks these days, but they're not much cheaper than the BC. I'd say don't worry about missing out on the BC train. If the Primetones are doing it, then they're doing it. Doesn't have to be a "better than/worse than" dynamic. I've always maintained that the player is the only one who ever hears a difference.
    Mitch Russell

I'll spend $50 for a pick the same week I donk & Carolina squat my old pickup truck....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	donkin'.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	199805  
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

You people who haven't lost a pick in 10 or 12 years have my undying admiration.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

Ray - I’ve been playing mandolin for 10 years now, and guitars for almost 50!

When I started my mandolin journey, I tried various picks and after about a year I tried a 1.5mm Prime Tone large triangle, smooth (non-grippy) with points. Good pick, good volume and nice tone. It was my main pick for about 2 years. Then I tried a Blue Chip and have never gone back. I’ve used the same pick (a TP60) for around 7 years now, and there’s literally zero wear on it apart from a few scratches. The points are still pointy.

I do still have a few Prime Tones as spares, and they are really nice picks. But, in my opinion, the Blue Chip sounds better, with less pick noise, and it’s rock solid in the hand, with no slippage.

My main picks are a Wegen bluegrass and a Primetone sculpted. I tried a BC back when I had the Traveling Pick Sampler and was very happy that it did not wow me (because I'm cheap) I think the Wegen sounds better but I think I can play faster with the Primetone. I agree that the Primetone has more pick noise

There is quite a difference. The BC gives a rather "richer" tone than the Primetone, and creates a bit less pick noise. I have both and play with both of them, along with Wegen, the Chris Thile, and others. To me, the Wegen sounds the same as the BC, at significantly lower price point. But, in truth, if I had only Primetones to play, I would not be disappointed. And the price is very reasonable, at least Stateside.

Al
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Ray - I’ve been playing mandolin for 10 years now, and guitars for almost 50!

When I started my mandolin journey, I tried various picks and after about a year I tried a 1.5mm Prime Tone large triangle, smooth (non-grippy) with points. Good pick, good volume and nice tone. It was my main pick for about 2 years. Then I tried a Blue Chip and have never gone back. I’ve used the same pick (a TP60) for around 7 years now, and there’s literally zero wear on it apart from a few scratches. The points are still pointy.

I do still have a few Prime Tones as spares, and they are really nice picks. But, in my opinion, the Blue Chip sounds better, with less pick noise, and it’s rock solid in the hand, with no slippage.
    Same sort of figures here but I’d been playing guitar for around 10 years before I bought my first mandolin and that was around 50 years ago!

I come from the days when you bought a few plastic picks, played with one until it cracked so chose a diffrent one.

The greatest change in the fretted instrument world (in my opinion) was around 1974 when d’Addario started making phosphour bronze strings. However, I remain to be convinced that Blue Chip picks have caused a similar advance.

I’ve yet to notice any appreciable wear on any of my Primetones or Wegens and I’m also mindful that I use different picks on different mandolin family instruments.

25. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

I come from the days when you bought a few plastic picks, played with one until it cracked so chose a diffrent one.
    Made from freshly harvested T-Rex claws. Yes, I remember those days fondly…….

Is that a forbidden forum topic?

The greatest change in the fretted instrument world (in my opinion) was around 1974 when d’Addario started making phosphour bronze strings. However, I remain to be convinced that Blue Chip picks have caused a similar advance.
    Not surprising since you haven’t tried one and state you have no intention of ever doing so. I assume you tried PB strings at some point?

The difference is around 32 bucks

Adrian Minarovic

I've done many tests and comparisond of picks and concluded that 89% of tone is in shape 10% in hand and the rest in material.
    By shape I mean EXACT shape and surface texture. You cannot compare validly BC and PT (Primetone) pick if the shape is not exactly same. PT often doesn't come super polished and that may feel/sound scratchy to some while BC typically come with polished edge.
    If you look up mechanical properties of PEI (PT material) and PI (BC material) plastics you'll see they are not that diferent in properties (those close to environment of mandolin). PI has higher melting temperature but PEI is not that far behind and that difference would be probably noticeable only in supersonic speeds of picking that would burn other picks.
    That said, I don't think the BC is too overpriced. PI is quite a bit more expensive than PEI. Space industry is willing to pay the extra for the few extra features over cheaper (but not so underperforming) PEI and mandolin pickers mostly too :-).
    If you look into other "boutique" picks made from other even cheaper materials like acrylic, those ARE really overpriced, IMHO.
    Adrian

I recently bought a handful of Dunlop Tortex 1.14 Triangle shaped picks for .45 cents each. They are my new favorites at the moment.

I would consider loaning (or even giving) one to a fellow musician if I find one in need while playing around town. They are the perfect accessory for creating musical friends.

I would also admit that my picks are a perfect match to my playing ability.

Blog Entries

I don't understand the "v". I have and use both BC and Primetone, depending. They both do what they do very well.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

31. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: