Thread: Goichberg Mandocello Studies: No. 7, 23, and 30: Robert Margo

Default Goichberg Mandocello Studies: No. 7, 23, and 30: Robert Margo

Here are three more of Sol Goichberg's (1908 - 1978) studies for unaccompanied mandocello: No. 7, No. 23 ("Andantino: Old English Air"), and No. 30 ("Allegretto"). The studies were published by Plucked String Inc. in 1999 (Sol Goichberg, Studies for the Mandocello, Volume I). These three are among several in Volume 1 that have a long melody line played (mostly) on a single string, usually the A string, with tremolo. The “Old English Air” of No. 23 is best known today as “Believe Me, If All Those Endearing Young Charms”. The final variation of No. 23 in the video is my own. The instrument is by the late Walt Kuhlman.

Robert A. Margo

2. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Default Re: Goichberg Mandocello Studies: No. 7, 23, and 30: Robert Margo

Wonderful marriage of accomplished performer and rarely performed composer! Thank you.

Now, a question: I can't help noticing on this and other recordings with your liuto cantabile that you work fairly close to the bridge. Is that because it is practical for you to do so? Or is this more or less proper practice for a liuto?

Thanks, again, for performing and sharing this music.

"Now, a question: I can't help noticing on this and other recordings with your liuto cantabile that you work fairly close to the bridge. Is that because it is practical for you to do so? Or is this more or less proper practice for a liuto?"

Thanks, Joe, for the very nice comment. Re: your question, it is my sound/tone preference -- I generally prefer a brighter, more articulated sound on the liuto (or the mandocello), and that is how I get it on this particular instrument (which is strung with Thomastik, so it will sound dark to begin with). YMMV, and so would mine if I were playing a different instrument -- there will always be some variation that is instrument-specific.
    Robert A. Margo

Even though these compositions are quite a few decades old, they seem like "new repertoire for mandocello" material. Thank you for bringing this neglected music back to life! Looking forward to Kalamazoo, excited to see Florian Rumpf on board.
    jim
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile