Thread: Kentucky-brand info

Default Kentucky-brand info

I've recently gotten a Calhoun & love it. Am not an experienced mando-deviant.
    Seem to be going deviant, tho.

Tried an Eastman 505 overnite but its pointier, shallower neck
    (compared to my Calhoun) hurt my irritable fretting hand & wrist.
    It was otherwise a very nice example.

A decent econo mando with an arch top might be a nice thing for
    just being different in response-feel-sound.
    This would be an indulgence I don't really need so not an urgent matter.

Any comments on contemporary Kentucky neck profiles in their say,
    600-700 series? Any advice or warning re: Kentucky?

Thanks in advance,

thumbknuckle

Default Re: Kentucky-brand info

Kentucky seem to be good for their price. They make all from beginner to the 900 and 1000 which I classify as begin professional

3. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

I have an Eastman 305 and a Kentucky 250. The Eastman's neck is slightly narrower at the nut and more V shaped in that area. The Kentucky neck feels more D shaped and the frets are slightly wider. Both sound good but the Eastman has a more 'interesting' sound to me. what I really need is two Eastman bodies fitted with Kentucky necks These are budget models, dunno about the more expensive ones.

5. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Well, I will throw my 2 cents in. I have owned several Kentucy mandolins from a 150 to a 1050. All were good and a few outstanding. Different models had different neck widths and profiles, none of them were V shaped necks. The 250 and 500 seemed to me to be a little smaller than others. The 900 and 1000 (at least the earlier ones) models had a narrow 1 1/6" nut and a small neck. The 150, 750 series and 1050 had a fuller neck and more U shaped. I think that Kentucky mandolins lean a little more towards the dry woody sound than Eastman. But I have heard some really good Eastman's as well. I currently have a Kentucky 756. It is a shockingly good mandolin. The 750,752,755,756 are all the same mandolin but have a different finish. I have it for a backup and keep it downstairs. It is truly all the mandolin I would need though. I think you would find the neck comfortable, and it should be an entirely different mandolin than the Calhoun.

7. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    I think that Kentucky mandolins lean a little more towards the dry woody sound than Eastman.
    My two are the opposite - my Eastman 305 has the dry, woody (but 'modern' style) folky sound, my Kentucky 250 has more of a full 'general purpose' sound. Individual instrument differences I guess...

9. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

The word "professional" can mean a lot of different things. Personally, I would not consider even the highest level Eastman or Kentucky pro-level builds, but rather good quality beginner-intermediate level instruments. These are factory instruments with solid reputations for reliability in terms of construction. Put another way, you're very likely to get an instrument that is put together well and plays within reasonable specs once it's had a solid setup. It should also sound "OK" at worst; it should sound like a mandolin and have a pleasant timbre.

Whether it sounds "great" is a roll of the dice because (a) the woods used are not of the quality chosen by higher grade individual makers, (b) the woods are less likely to have been seasoned properly, and (c) most importantly, the tops are not going to be individually tuned. So it's a bit of a hit/miss whether you get an OK instrument or a really great deal for the money.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sykofiddle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sykofiddle View Post
    So it's a bit of a hit/miss whether you get an OK instrument or a really great deal for the money.
    At this level of the "food chain", best to play before you pay. But with so little money at stake, I've purchased a Kentucky KM-340S to have a pickup installed for use when I need an amplified acoustic sound (so not too much of a risk). My KM-340S sounds pretty good acoustically and has a nice skinny feeling neck so play ability is excellent for my hands. It is what it is (as they say).

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

13. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

My thanks to all who chipped in here.

Now, I fear no Kentucky and will seek & try.

I'll contribute this: the Eastman 505 I tried was a very responsive, good-sounding instrument.
    The shop had several 300 & 500 series Eastmans and the one I chose had the straightest neck.
    This might be a warning to be alert or just me being picky. They all played well by my elementary standard.

Thanks again!

I've got a few finer Gibson F5s but I also have a few Eastman 815s and also one each of the KM 900, 1000, 1500 and 5000. To me the high end Kentucky models are far superior to the high end Eastman. I would not hesitate to play any of them on stage and I have. You can just tell from the feel and the better quality in these models than the lower Kentucky models.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Of all the Eastmans I’ve owned or tried, none have suited my hand. I much prefer the Kentuckys I’ve played 500s and up. Just a personal preference based on feel.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

18. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Tom, having heard your ‘23 and your ‘26 live (many moons ago at the Davis Theater here in Concord, and both were fabulous mandolins!) I’m surprised to hear your assessment of your Kentucky models. I don’t think I’ve ever played one of their upper models (maybe a KM 1000 several years ago at Gruhn’s, but only for about 2 chops given the other options). In the lower tier instruments Eastman generally wins in build quality in my experience, and I had a 315 I got at a ridiculous clearance price from a big box store that was one they really got right. It was my beater but good enough that I was almost as careful with it as my “good ones.” I prefer a bit wider nut so it was moved along in a downsize move a few years ago, but it was good enough that I also played it out in “higher risk” situations and traveled with it. I’ll have to give the upper tier Kentucky models another look, if only out of curiosity.

Important to note for our prospective OP buyer is that Kentucky has two factories, one for their entry level models and one for the upper tier models, though I think the 500 and one of the 700 or 800 models is now made in the “better” factory. I recently saw a Mandolin Store add mentioning one of those being made there…

20. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I have a Kentucky KM-805, and while it is a nice instrument, it is not near the quality of my Collings MT, my Pava Player, or my Weber Bitterroot (all of which I consider very near professional quality instruments.) I use my Kentucky when I play in a slightly "questionable" environment (like when I am not sure of possible injuries to my instrument.)

22. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

I have lurked here for about 3 years. This is my first post. I feel so strongly about this I had to share it. I have a Kentucky KM-1050 and a Northfield Big Mon. I love them to both to death. But to think that the 1050 is not a professional instrument is just wrong based on my experience.

Maybe I should return the money from gigs i made playing the 1050. I feel bad now that it was not professional enough.

Sir F5loar, I appreciate you because you always speak from knowledge that you have experienced directly. I've always noted your expertise and here it is spot on again. It was your comments in other posts which led me to the Kentucky in the first place. Your words have weight with me because they have been proven right.

Maybe I got a great one off the line "by mistake" because the Kentucky rings like a bell and is my favorite. I love the Big Mon too, but in no way the 1050 a beginner/intermediate mandolin for me. Maybe the under 900 series is that way.. I'm not sure, but I bet they can hang tough. They never over do the finish. I don't know for sure but the 1050 in every way can hang with the Big Mon and other$$ I've tried. Alot of misinformation about these.

Is it a Gibson...no. I'm not saying anything like that. I do know music though and purchasing musical instruments. There is diminishing returns sometimes in buying musical instruments past a certain level. I'm not saying I've reached it, but in the mid-tier I feel maybe I have.

I do alot of recording and you know what? The 1050 pops traditional sounds that just knock me out every time. I like the modern sound too but the Kentucky is my favorite for recording when I need cut. Maybe I'm crazy but I love that thing and it makes me sad to see people just toss it aside as no account because it's not elite enough.

There is no way that Northfield is over twice as good as my 1050 based on cost. Both are outstanding. Northfield is great. But I could have stopped after the Kentucky for sure, but I'm glad I got both. The Northfield has better play-ability and has its own thing going on, but nothing about the Kentucky is limiting or suspect. I know the wood on the 1050 wasn't tuned enough or cool enough for some, but just maybe they grabbed a good chunk of wood by mistake when they made my 1050, because it's an outstanding mandolin in every way. No, you wont regret a Kentucky mandolin. I view it as the working man's Mandolin.

Now I'll go back to just lurking.
    Last edited by carusdp; Apr-07-2022 at 10:43am.

24. The following members say thank you to carusdp for this post:

When I got my Kentucky 1050 I got it to play out in places I really didn’t want to take my nicer instruments. I took it to Lynn Dudenbostel to replace the bridge and set it up. He said it sounded better than a lot of high end mandolins that came through his shop. I asked the boys at the Mandolin store to pick the best one that they had in stock when I bought it. Now the only comment I have is that it changes quite a bit from summer to winter. My Collings and my Gibson F4 never change. The 1050 I have to adjust the action twice a year.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

26. The following members say thank you to oldwave for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by carusdp View Post
    I have lurked here for about 3 years. This is my first post. I feel so strongly about this I had to share it. I have a Kentucky KM-1050 and a Northfield Big Mon. I love them to both to death. But to think that the 1050 is not a professional instrument is just wrong based on my experience.

Is it a Gibson...no. I'm not saying anything like that. I do know music though and purchasing musical instruments. There is diminishing returns sometimes in buying musical instruments past a certain level. I'm not saying I've reached it, but in the mid-tier I feel maybe I have.

Now I'll go back to just lurking.
    You are absolutely correct that above a certain dollar level there are diminishing returns. I have experienced this with other purchase items too (such as in horses, another obsession of mine. Is there a difference in quality between a $6000 horse and a $20000 horse? Yes, but does it REALLY matter that much to me? No.) So I am not putting down your 1050 at all, I haven't played it. But between my 805 and my other mandolins, yes, the sound is that different. And I am not putting down my 805, it is a nice instrument for what I paid for it, but it is not as good as my others. YMMV.