Thread: Ukrainian Tune #1 Waltz in Am staff notation w/ TAB

Default Ukrainian Tune #1 Waltz in Am staff notation w/ TAB

Hi mandolinists,

In sympathy with the Ukrainian people, I wanted to share a Ukrainian folk tune, a waltz in Am, with staff notation and TAB.

The TAB is just the most basic version, I often play some of the open string notes as closed position notes.

I transcribed this from the playing of an unknown concertina player circa 1985 that played this and several other tunes at Lark Camp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukrainian Tune #1 w tab - Full Score.pdf 
Views:	366 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	199930

and a 2nd tune....more coming

Name:	Ukrainian Tune #2 wTAB - Full Score.pdf 
Views:	215 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	199931
    Last edited by DavidKOS; Mar-07-2022 at 2:36pm.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ukrainian Tune #1 Waltz in Am staff notation w/ TAB

Thanks! I couldn't see anything - just blank black boxes - but when I clicked on them they downloaded just fine.

My friends The Kennedys have been playing a weekly livestream concert Sundays 2:00 - 3:00 PM Eastern Time for just past two years now. It's done through their youtube channel. Last week they closed with their usual song, "Safe Until Tomorrow," which they send out to people everywhere involved in various caring activities, but this time they led into it with the Ukrainian National Anthem, "Shche Ne Vmerla Ukraina." I'm sure sheet music is available if anyone wants to learn and play it.

Last edited by journeybear; Mar-07-2022 at 3:24pm.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

David, any way we could convince you to post recording of how you play them? I play in a duo and these would be great timely additions, I'd be very interested to see how you embelish, to get some ideas. Either way many thanks for posting!
    "If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." - Joe Pass

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Marino for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Marino View Post
    David, any way we could convince you to post recording of how you play them? I play in a duo and these would be great timely additions, I'd be very interested to see how you embelish, to get some ideas. Either way many thanks for posting!
    I'll try to make some recordings....my embellishment style on this material would be a mix of stuff from my Klezmer band days, my balalaika playing, and the basic Italian-style I first learned.

I can't say that I play them "right"!

Mostly I'd play them fairly much like the music.

Many more Ukrainian Tunes here, recordings and music notation:
    https://tanetskolomyykytainshe.org/home/

Andy Alexis
    Andy Alexis
    Musical Raconteur
    Sacramento, CA.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ndlxs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ndlxs View Post
    Many more Ukrainian Tunes here, recordings and music notation:

Andy Alexis
    Hey, thanks! I make no claims to be an expert on this material, so your advice is welcome.

I've had a quick look - there's a lot of really good material there.

And here's the "better" version of the first tune I posted, thanks to Andy.

https://tanetskolomyykytainshe.files...2/nevilnyk.pdf

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Ah, this reminds me of a rollicking good time we had with a local Ukrainian band at a Ukrainian Deli in North Minneapolis. Our klezmer band shared some common tunes and we had the whole place dancing and singing.

Now it is time for the Purim festival and this year it seems the history is indeed repeating itself after Haman in the old story of Esther, the Megilla. He makes some big mistakes causing genocide. The story occurs in 480 B.C.

I love the bass and fiddle on this version.

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Ah, this reminds me of a rollicking good time we had with a local Ukrainian band at a Ukrainian Deli in North Minneapolis. Our klezmer band shared some common tunes and we had the whole place dancing and singing.

Now it is time for the Purim festival and this year it seems the history is indeed repeating itself after Haman in the old story of Esther, the Megilla. He makes some big mistakes causing genocide. The story occurs in 480 B.C.

I love the bass and fiddle on this version.

Thanks! Lots of fun, and a cool version. Yup, the bass and second fiddle parts are quite good.

Thanks to David, Andy and Doug for those useful links. I have just recorded two of the tunes from the (great!) site posted by Andy:

The first is Nevil'nyk, the tune transcribed by David and played by the Ukrainska Silska Orchestra in the video posted by Doug. My version is a bit more sombre than theirs. I'm playing the tune twice: first time without tremolo and with an arpeggio accompaniment, the second time with tremolo and a strummed waltz rhythm.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/ZP0c7wVXXzA

The second tune is "Waltz from Rashivka" (Вальс з Рашівка), from the village of Rashivka in Poltava Oblast, about halfway between Kyiv and Kharkiv -- it is impossible not to write these words with a heavy heart today.

https://youtu.be/bNFT8-uCrpY

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Mar-13-2022 at 8:15pm.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

…..

Blog Entries

Martin I've seen a number of your 'performance videos' here and I appreciate your candor in sharing and perhaps bravery in risking comments from insensitive viewers. We all could talk about respect for others related to the crisis in the Ukraine. (It seems to be a central issue.) However instead I'll share some of my experience and observations as a mandolin player.

Coordinating or being sensitive to another instrument or a metronome can be challenging. Your own perception can distort what actually comes out in terms of 'being in sync'. So another person hopefully a teacher, is the best observer of areas that need work. I often put both parts into a notation program (Finale in my case,) and I play along. Sometimes I'll play along with a CD if it's available.

Computers only however are not as good a people, when it comes to 'ensemble' playing - listening for clues from the other players. Real people can be so good in responding to little things. This is all a part of the process of becoming a better musician; a path that we all are walking.

Practice, playing and then performing, three different challenges; all part of the ongoing process. (and now adding skills in using computers to the mix).

Thanks for sharing and lets work on more 'problem solving' in the larger world.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Martin, "Waltz from Rashivka" is especially beautiful. I tried to figure out the chords you are playing for accompaniment but several just dont sound quite the same- could you possibly share a simple chord chart of the backup track?
    "If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." - Joe Pass

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Marino For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Mark. Yes, I also prefer "Waltz From Ravishka" among the two tunes I have recorded -- I think mainly because I have played it at a better tempo. For the other one, "Nevil'nyk", I think the tremolo style I have used for the repetition (from 1:18 in the video) works better than the single-stroke playing for the initial part. Trial and error in learning a tune.

The score and chords are from the site linked by Andy Alexis earlier in this thread:

The specific PDF for "Waltz from Ravishka" is at:

https://tanetskolomyykytainshe.files...m-rashivka.pdf

Thus the chords are Am, Em, A and Dm in the A part and Am, Em, G and C in the B part. There is also a very nice solo fiddle recording of the tune on that site. As my backing track is using arpeggios played out of tenor guitar chords shapes, it has a different feel from guitar chords.

Doug: Thanks for your comments. These recordings are very low-tech, which may be the reason for any timing irregularities you have picked up: there is no metronome, MIDI backing track or notation program involved. I have simply played the tunes solo on mandolin and then afterwards overdubbed a minimalist tenor guitar backing. So, the accompaniment is following the timing of the melody playing, not the other way around. Both parts are played on real instruments, not computer-generated. I'm trying to sound ideomatic, but as I do not have either a Ukrainian or a klezmer background, the feel will be different.

Martin

24. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Thanks for posting these: my sorties into European folk hasn't got past the odd Scandinavian or Breton tune, so I shall enjoy learning these.

For those that need it, here's the tab for Nevil'nyk:

Name:	nevilnyk.pdf 
Views:	95 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	200064

The other tune that stood out to me on the Ukrainian Orchestra CD was this rollicking little tune:

Here's the tab:

Name:	zalanivska-Hrechka.pdf 
Views:	84 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	200065

The PDF previews are weird, but should view OK downloaded!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

I am not sure if anyone else posted this but this is probably one of the more famous Ukrainian tunes played also by Graham Townsend and other Canadian fiddlers.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Martin, we struggle with computers as well as mandolins. Ha, ha
    Since you are working on the ideomatic styling, I suggest playing along with a recording. Much of the styling related to this music comes from the shaping of notes and slight variations in accents, and legato staccato picking. I work with software called The Amazing Slow Downer (which is aptly named) to play along with my favorite recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post

Doug: Thanks for your comments. These recordings are very low-tech, which may be the reason for any timing irregularities you have picked up: there is no metronome, MIDI backing track or notation program involved. I have simply played the tunes solo on mandolin and then afterwards overdubbed a minimalist tenor guitar backing. So, the accompaniment is following the timing of the melody playing, not the other way around. Both parts are played on real instruments, not computer-generated. I'm trying to sound ideomatic, but as I do not have either a Ukrainian or a klezmer background, the feel will be different.

Martin

30. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am not sure if anyone else posted this but this is probably one of the more famous Ukrainian tunes played also by Graham Townsend and other Canadian fiddlers.
    Thanks, Jim -- that's a very nice recording. A transcription of "Vals Bandura" based on this Pawlo Humeniuk recording is also at the same site as linked by Andy earlier:

https://tanetskolomyykytainshe.files...ls-bandura.pdf

They also have another solo fiddle recording on the site which is easier to follow. I had a look at the tune last weekend.

Martin

32. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Blog Entries

I want to relate a short story about a well known Ukrainian tune. It is called The Nightingale.
    In 2008 up in Montreal I attended a week long klezmer music camp where among the many world renown teachers was a group from the Ukraine.
    One day they met outdoors just outside my tent to play some tunes. We all gathered around to hear them play. They did not speak English and very little French so most of the 'talk' was with our instruments. They did convey however that this tune was sung by everyone in the Ukraine and they all thought this was probably the heart of being Ukrainian. I was delighted because I had learned the tune from Peter Ostroushko years before. They taught us the words, and by then there were about 50 people. We all sang in harmony and played as well as we could with tears in our eyes.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

36. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Blog Entries

We spoke some pretty awful yiddish with the Ukrainian band in Montreal. My point was that we had difficulty in communicating and that we were in an area that has a lot of French Canadian speakers.

Simon I suppose you caught that mention of French right away. (The Canadians have their own version of the French language. Right?)

We had no problem speaking with our instruments however.
    Last edited by DougC; Mar-16-2022 at 6:18pm.

38. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

This is a great thread. I thought 'Waltz from Rashivka' sounded familiar - I think it is also known as as 'Broken Strings' waltz (here with lyrics): https://musescore.com/mhoangdang/scores/5478983 Lovely tune.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ukcarrie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ukcarrie View Post
    This is a great thread. I thought 'Waltz from Rashivka' sounded familiar - I think it is also known as as 'Broken Strings' waltz (here with lyrics): https://musescore.com/mhoangdang/scores/5478983 Lovely tune.
    OK, I was going to tell you you're wrong and that they sounded like different tunes to me, but it appears this is a variation on "Broken Strings": The most recent US Orchestra recording includes this variation under the name Broken Strings: https://ukrainska-silska-orchestra.b...broken-strings

What they say about the record is:

"All the music included in this album is from the village of Rashivka in Poltava region, Ukraine. We were lucky to find a cassette with local musicians playing recorded in the early 1990s. "

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post: