Thread: The beginnings of MAS - What's next?

Default The beginnings of MAS - What's next?

As a long time guitar player who has gone through various stages of GAS over the years, I now find myself slowly learning mandolin and also acquiring instruments. At present I have a Collings MT, Eastman MD815, Eastman Octave and a birth year Martin A style.
    Recently, I've sold a few guitars and banjos that give me funds to step things up in the Mando department.
    Can't travel at the moment, but I'm intrigued by both the Northfield A5 Special and the Pava A5 Player models. Am I moving in the right direction in terms of an instrument that would be a step up over the Collings? Anything else I should consider? I would be looking to buy used and don't have any qualms over buying online.
    Thanks!
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

Default Re: The beginnings of MAS - What's next?

My thinking on acquiring or turning over instruments is summed up as 1) Is my present instrument right for the music I play? 2) Is my present instrument somehow less than is called for by my skill and realistic prospects for improvement? 3) Has my playing improved enough to make an upward jump worthwhile? 4) Do I have the funds? 5) If I get it will I play it enough?
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenny For This Useful Post:

Are there particular things you like/don't like about your MT that you're hoping either of the mandolins you've mentioned can be an improvement on? When I came back to the mandolin after a 4-5 year hiatus away from it I had a Collings MT-O that at the time I reckoned was all the mandolin I would need for my particular needs. Then I played a Girouard A at a mandolin workshop that another attendee had and it ticked boxes for me that the MT-O didn't. The sound was warmer and fuller than the MT-O's, something I might not have noticed if I hadn't been able to play them side by side. Another thing that made a world of difference for my playing was the differences in the neck profiles and nut width - the Collings had a wide nut and a sharp V neck profile vs. the Girouard which had a softer V and a standard 1 1/8 nut width. Immediately I realised that some of the discomfort I'd had with my left hand technique wasn't down to being away from the mandolin for a few years, as I'd assumed, rather it was because all my previous mandolins prior to the Collings had had similar neck profiles and standard nut width - the Girouard felt so easy and comfortable to play. Needless to say I went home that evening and emailed Max straight away to inquire about getting on his list for a build. My Girouard Concert A is was definitely a significant step up for me compared to my MT-O.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

5. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    My thinking on acquiring or turning over instruments is summed up as 1) Is my present instrument right for the music I play? 2) Is my present instrument somehow less than is called for by my skill and realistic prospects for improvement? 3) Has my playing improved enough to make an upward jump worthwhile? 4) Do I have the funds? 5) If I get it will I play it enough?
    These are pretty good, but a bit too logical even for me, an inveterate over-analyzer. So far, when I see something i want, it's a gut feeling.

My thinking is 1) Is it really cool in some way (obviously or it wouldn't have jumped out at me), 2) Is it enough different from what I already have in some way to justify it in my mind, 3) Might it need alot of work, 4) Can I round up the $$

It's mostly about the justification.

I don't worry about if my playing is "good enough". It's not.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tjmangum View Post
    As a long time guitar player who has gone through various stages of GAS over the years, I now find myself slowly learning mandolin and also acquiring instruments. At present I have a Collings MT, Eastman MD815, Eastman Octave and a birth year Martin A style.
    Recently, I've sold a few guitars and banjos that give me funds to step things up in the Mando department.
    Can't travel at the moment, but I'm intrigued by both the Northfield A5 Special and the Pava A5 Player models. Am I moving in the right direction in terms of an instrument that would be a step up over the Collings? Anything else I should consider? I would be looking to buy used and don't have any qualms over buying online.
    Thanks!
    I would recommend you consider your options as a step in another direction rather than a step up. There are literally dozens of really fine mandolin makers active today competing in the price range you seem to be contemplating. Pava and Northfield among them, but so many others as well. Your Collings is a great mandolin I am sure, and in the right hands across a room most listeners could not hear a difference between it any of the other $1500-4000 mandolins available, or, if they detected a difference it would not be good v bad, but simply different.
    My humble advice would be get your hands on as many different mandolins as you possibly can and figure out what sound, look, and feel trips your trigger. The picker rarely is limited by the mandolin he/she is holding. The mandolin is often under exploited by its picker however 🤔
    Just my opinions.

9. The following members say thank you to Pjones3 for this post:

Resident Hack

If you're not sure what to go with, I suggest travel. If at all possible, find your way to a store with a wide selection and see what you think after playing them all.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

11. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post:

If you can't travel and don't mind buying online, lots of people seem to be into the catch and release strategy.

For me, the idea of the release is tough, though.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pjones3 View Post
    I would recommend you consider your options as a step in another direction rather than a step up. There are literally dozens of really fine mandolin makers active today competing in the price range you seem to be contemplating. Pava and Northfield among them, but so many others as well.
    I agree with this advice. Having owned both an MT and then a Pava, I considers it a step over rather than a step up . . . different, but equal. My inclination would be to move into the realm of the independent builders, such as Duff or Kimble (or a host of other builders like those in my signature).
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

15. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

17. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    These are pretty good, but a bit too logical even for me, an inveterate over-analyzer. So far, when I see something i want, it's a gut feeling.

My thinking is 1) Is it really cool in some way (obviously or it wouldn't have jumped out at me), 2) Is it enough different from what I already have in some way to justify it in my mind, 3) Might it need alot of work, 4) Can I round up the $$
    It's mostly about the justification.
    I don't worry about if my playing is "good enough". It's not.
    Sue, you and I think alike. Thanks for your thoughts.

19. The following members say thank you to tjmangum for this post:

As mentioned above, the mandolins you are considering may be a lateral move. But sometimes you find an instrument that just speaks to you. the feel. playability, looks and tone. May not be better or as good as some other instruments but it just feels like your favorite jeans or shoes. If you want to move up from an Mt I would suggest looking at instruments with a varnish finish. Does not necessarily make it better in tone but in my experience the best mandolins I have played all had a varnish finish.

21. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Many thanks to all for your comments. Yes, much more to consider than I originally had in mind. Cheers!

Playing on the porch

My approach is simplistic.

Is the new instrument that I am contemplating a great deal better than my playing. If yes, then when it doesn't sound right, I know that I am the culprit. If I cannot blame the instrument, I have to learn to play better.

Does the new instrument sound good, even in my hands? If yes, then it is worth consideration.
    Third, will this instrument make me happy? Does it feel good to play?

I'm on my third mandolin and am no longer dealing with MAS. I'm a happy fellow who knows the instrument has more to offer than my playing currently shows.

Enjoy the hunt!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth violin

24. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post:

I thought of another criterion that's also important to me.

5) How far away is it?

I truly don't like the idea of shipping instruments. Beyond the inspect / try before you buy aspect, I've bought from a distance twice, and both times I feel like it was a minor miracle that it arrived unscathed.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

I thought of another criterion that's also important to me.

5) How far away is it?

I truly don't like the idea of shipping instruments. Beyond the inspect / try before you buy aspect, I've bought from a distance twice, and both times I feel like it was a minor miracle that it arrived unscathed.
    Unfortunately most of us do not live near any stores where there are decent selection of instruments and mandolins are in the minority. Most of the fine instruments I own were acquired by stores or sellers from a large difference. If you stick with local only and can’t travel then you are limiting the possibilities. I have had very few bad experiences with shipping but I do agree it can be nerve wracking until it gets to you safely.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

First considerations for me are, do I have one already, and if not, is the new one under consideration, enough different from the ones I have, to warrant the expenditure?

Another major consideration -- is it accessible, so I can try it out before deciding to purchase? If memory serves, I've only bought four mandolins "remotely," on-line or through e-mail: Merrill aluminum-bodied bowl-back and Howe-Orme mandolinetto, both on eBay, and Gibson tenor lute and Waldo bowl-back mandocello, from Cafe readers who contacted me after I expressed interest here in owning such instruments. All others were purchased at local dealers. If the instrument under consideration is rare, unlikely to show up locally, then I'll consider a "sight unseen" or "sound unheard" transaction.

Finally, how expensive is it, and can I work out a trade-in deal for instruments I don't play? I've traded in guitars, ukuleles, and -- yes -- other mandolins to get the ones I own now. At my advanced age, I really don't want to keep enlarging my accumulation, so I try to "de-accession" instruments in which I've less interest.

Broke my heart to trade in my F-5 on a Stelling long-neck banjo, but I wasn't playing one instrument, and I'm gigging regularly with the new one. Hope someone's picking the tar out of that ol' F-5 somewhere...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

30. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I like to try something new. So, since I've had a perfectly good maple/spruce with f-holes, a perfectly good rosewood/spruce flattop, and a perfectly good birch/spruce oval, I'd want maybe a resonator mando or a solid-body electric or a bouzouki or a Harmony batwing.

Which means I'm the wrong person to ask.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

Well done team. I have a very nice Girouard A-5 Ensemble coming my way
    This should slow MAS for some time to come. (I hope!)
    Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Girouard Back.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	200051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giroaurd Front.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	200052  

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tjmangum For This Useful Post:

Very pretty, and people rave about their sound. Play it in good health.

36. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tjmangum View Post
    Hard to go wrong with any of the above, quality-wise, but as you mention being a guitar player you might fancy a guitar-bodied style

I happened to run across this page of guitar-body octaves by Mowry recently which look gorgeous. Unfortunately I have no idea about current availability or price tag (likely one of those if-you-have-to-ask situations) but someone on the forum might have an idea.

https://mowrystrings.com/OMgallery.htm

38. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Beautiful! Keep us up to date. Max and Lauri build a great instrument and are great to deal with. If you have any questions, they are happy to respond.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

40. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Hard to go wrong with any of the above, quality-wise, but as you mention being a guitar player you might fancy a guitar-bodied style

I happened to run across this page of guitar-body octaves by Mowry recently which look gorgeous. Unfortunately I have no idea about current availability or price tag (likely one of those if-you-have-to-ask situations) but someone on the forum might have an idea.

https://mowrystrings.com/OMgallery.htm
    Thanks. Actually not far from me. Something to have on the radar down the road.

Beautiful mando! I think you'll love it and hopefully we get to hear it!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

43. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

I predict that new mandolin will only be one small step on the slippery slope of MAS! Enjoy!

45. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Beware. Gruhn's has just posted a Newson F-5.
    Paul Newson makes really good mandolins.
    I took the pledge quite a while ago, and have stuck to it, so I'll pass.

47. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post: