Thread: The problem is mostly sentimental

Default The problem is mostly sentimental

The old Washburn isn’t “worth” anything other than its sentimental value. It was a wedding gift from my wife 36 years ago. I made more failed attempts trying to learn to play it than I care to admit. But have been making progress over the pandemic. I’ve replaced the nut, the tailpiece, the bridge and the saddle over the years but now the neck is separating and I am trying to decide whether to thank it for its service and let it go, try to fix it myself or find a pro. What do you think?
    Fortunately, I play a Calhoun at home and this one is mostly for the odd moment I free at work.
    If I don’t fix it I’ll save up for a used or blemish Eastman 305
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	547.7 KB 
ID:	199989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF884998-CA81-4B7C-94F7-38BAE7D207E7.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	493.7 KB 
ID:	199990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400D1EF8-4A85-49AB-9854-840DDF47867B.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	489.0 KB 
ID:	199991  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A0490FA7-4FF1-4B96-9465-8718AAF2306E.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	199992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7D475ED6-F153-47E0-BDE8-59BD6149AE72.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	360.4 KB 
ID:	199993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6D6DFC3-ED57-4B38-8F0F-AE630AD899F6.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	457.7 KB 
ID:	199994  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	199995  

Default Re: The problem is mostly sentimental

If it has sentimental value then I think that I would keep it and hang it on the wall. The neck separation is what would scare me and is probably indicative of bigger problems. If it were me I would take it to a pro and get an estimate but if it is anymore than say $150 then I would pass and put that money towards a used 305. Even if a pro fixes it up I don't think that it would compare to the 305 or your Calhoun, even for the odd moment at work. Mandolins that don't sound or play well don't get played for long.

Rob

3. The following members say thank you to robw95 for this post:

I was thinking the same thing. If it costs too much to fix it, make it into wall art.

These guys have a point.

However....

There are some down and dirty tricks than can be done to save an instrument that has more emotional value than financial value.

And it's non-reversible and not particularly "pretty".

OK - and have good ventilation and air flow ans you do not want to breath the stuff.

Can you physically move that neck back into a better position with less angle and lower action?

If so, get some really high grade cyanoacrylate glue like the ones Stewmac offers as an example:

https://www.stewmac.com/search/?q=cyanoacrylate+glue

Or this brand, also available at many hardware stores:

https://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Cit...01FL00GLQ?th=1

So.....

If it's the soundboard (face, top, etc.) that has a crack, do NOT use cyanoacrylate glues.

This doesn't look like the soundboard.

But if you can get the neck joint to close:

1. is it tight or is there play or open spaces? Use a bit of baking powder to fill and spray it w/ accelerator. Drop some thin superglue into the cracks. Hold or clamp tight until dry. Possibly add a few more drops if needed.

2. Set up w/ very light strings. It just has to work...not be able to compete w/ the banjo player.

Enjoy!

6. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I also was thinking its destiny is as a wall hanging/display item. But I laid off because you posted in this forum, which implies you are seeking some method of salvaging, not the more sentimental solution. If it can indeed be rescued, at least to some form of playability, that's even better. Probably not to the point of it being used in jams and such, but if it can be restored to where you could play it now and then, that would be nice. That way, on special sentimental occasions, such as your anniversary, you could take it down and play your beloved something to show how much your gift meant to you then and ever since. That seems suitably practical and sentimental, both.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

One of my regrets was getting rid of my first mandolin. It was a Lonestar Venice from Mexico. It looked nice enough and played in tune at least through 10th fret comfortably after a set up. I passed it along to a nephew who was interested in playing. I know I made the right call as I had several others by then (all cheapos of various quality) but, my sentimental hoarder heart wishes I still had that one, even as a wall hanger.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

I hear you, and completely agree with you, having been through about a similar thing with my first mandolin. I'll grant I started out a bit further up, with a teens Gibson A, a gift from my mom, but I was entirely unaware of what I had. And so I was a bit casual, even cavalier, about it. I brought it along with some high school friends on a beach excursion. Some of us were sitting on one pile of rocks, some others were sitting on another. Someone from the other pile asked if he could play it. I said sure, and tossed it over. Or in his direction. It didn't quite reach, or he fumbled the catch, and it fell on a rock, cracking the back pretty badly - two parallel splits. It still played, so I didn't think much more about it.

Fast forward several years, to after college. A high school friend told me he was building a guitar, under the tutelage of a luthier a couple of towns away. I went out there to see what was going on, and was utterly fascinated by the shop and its owner - George Youngblood. I told him about my mandolin, and he said to bring it by. Eventually, he fixed it, though it took some doing - the sides had bowed out a bit without the restricting influence of a solid back - so he had to fill in the gaps with some thin strips of wood. It was with the instrument in this now-improved state in hand that I took a trip with my friend out west to escape the winter of 1978. I met a girl in Tucson, stayed, and he went on to California. I spent a year following the sun: winter in Tucson, summer in Boulder, winter in the Bay Area, between Berkeley and Bolinas. Somewhere in there, I picked up my 70s F-12 - sexier-looking but (as I found out much, much later) not as good an instrument. Hitchhiking with two instruments would have been difficult, so I left the A with my then-girlfriend in Berkeley, as payment/thanks for my staying there.

All of which is back story for wishing I still have it. Even in its beleaguered state. It has great sentimental value.

Epilogue: Looking over this story, it doesn't have much of a happy ending. The F-12 got stolen after 30 years and many hours of playing and miles of travelling and songs written. (There's more to that story, which has been told before, and will surely be told again.) It's also the first instrument I've named - Mandy Lynn, short for Amanda Lynn. But one bit of good news to come out of all this is the development of a lifelong friendship with George, who has worked on many of my instruments, and been the source for a couple bought while on consignment at his shop. So there is that.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

I do have a potential wall hanger - a 1935 A-00 that I found for Mindy Jostyn, when the extraordinarily talented accompanist was looking to add mandolin to her arsenal. When my F-12 was stolen in 2007 during a Thanksgiving journey up north, I called around to let everyone I knew know so they could keep an eye out for it. Nothing worked, but there were two positive results. I learned about this here place, and joined up. And I learned Mindy had passed, at much too young an age. Now, hold on - I said there were two positive results, and I meant it. Regardless of what must be some people's dubious opinion of my presence here, it's been an overall positive experience for me. And as much as Mindy's passing was a true tragedy far greater than the following bit of fortune, it did mean there was a mandolin in the general vicinity that wasn't being used. I was quite loath to head back to Key West empty-handed with the main tourist season soon arriving. So I called up her widower to express my condolences and also inquire about the mandolin, mentioning my personal history with it. To my great surprise and relief, he understood my sense of loss - far, far less than his, but real all the same - and a deal was struck, and I stopped by on my way back down south. It was indeed hanging on the wall there, just collecting dust. It's not a great instrument, but it did get me back up and running. I dubbed it Mindy Lynn, to honor both her and my late, lamented F-12. Plus it did seem there was a circle being completed.

Its somewhat thin sound fit in well with the music the seasonal country-cajun-bluegrass band played. And it held me over until I could find a good instrument on eBay - another teen Gibson A, of all things. It sounded so good right out of the box it was shipped in, old strings and all, that I literally walked it over from the music shop to the place we were playing that evening and put it right to work. I still have the A-00, and never play it, though it's leaning against the wall - right there - and I keep it tuned. I probably shouldn't, for its own good, but I like it being ready. I really should hang it up. it would be so fitting. And yet another circle would be completed.

So sorry for all this diversion. But you know, there are indeed sentimental associations accompanying the musical instruments we own and the music we produce with them.

And as a side note, in the future, I might have to avoid having a second cup of coffee in the afternoon.
    Last edited by journeybear; Mar-12-2022 at 2:16pm. Reason: just one more thing ...

Going back 36 years puts this mandolin in the mid 80s which would make this a Japanese made Washburn by my reckoning. I have a Japanese made Washburn Jethro Burns F5 that is a good, maybe not great, instrument. I would have a good repair person at least look at it. It could be a simple fix, with a lot of that depending on the type of neck joint used. A $100 or so might be worthwhile. Any more, maybe not.
    Do you have any woodworking experience? Some good suggestions above. I do a fair amount of woodworking (I'm not a luthier) and what's being suggested isn't very difficult. Heck, I'd try it just see if I could make it work. Not much to lose really.

13. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

Looks like a fairly straight forward neck re-set to me. Years ago there was an excellent repairman up on Marathon Key, but I expect he has gone on to the great repair shop in the sky. I would NOT use superglue on that mando. I've cleaned up such nasty repair attempts in the past and they can be ugly! It is definitely repairable. I don't what type of joint the Japanese Washburn's had, but with the neck so clearly loose, it might not take all that much to pull it off. As for proper seating the bridge, also simple and easy to do. Sorry I'm not in the area or I'd take it on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginridge View Post
    Looks like a fairly straight forward neck re-set to me. Years ago there was an excellent repairman up on Marathon Key, but I expect he has gone on to the great repair shop in the sky. I would NOT use superglue on that mando. I've cleaned up such nasty repair attempts in the past and they can be ugly! It is definitely repairable. I don't what type of joint the Japanese Washburn's had, but with the neck so clearly loose, it might not take all that much to pull it off. As for proper seating the bridge, also simple and easy to do. Sorry I'm not in the area or I'd take it on myself.
    If the neck is at all possible to set w/ normal glue and methods I'm all for it.

My solution was only for extremes.

If the neck is at all possible to set w/ normal glue and methods I'm all for it.

My solution was only for extremes. I was assuming a standard reset was not possible.

Blog Entries

Years ago there was an excellent repairman up on Marathon Key ...
    Not sure why you mention that. I'm in that area, but I'm not the one with the problem. The OP is from Illinois. But the aforementioned luthier, if you mean Dean Nickless, is actually in Big Pine Key - close, but ... And he does seem to know his stuff.

Done a little searching to see if Brown’s glue and powder softens near the CA temperature, which would make such a repair reversible, but can find nothing on that subject, but along the way learned a little about the chemistry. Anybody use steam successfully for this?

19. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

I’m going to look into having it fixed by a pro but have to decide on a limit. $150 would be the equivalent of 5 lessons which is probably the better investment. If I glue and clamp the heck out of it and it works with extra light strings that would be great. If it becomes reduced to a decorative object I’d probably take the Weber tailpiece off and sell it, put the stamped one back on see if it retains the sentiment
    Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

21. The following members say thank you to Ed McGarrigle for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Not sure why you mention that. I'm in that area, but I'm not the one with the problem. The OP is from Illinois. But the aforementioned luthier, if you mean Dean Nickless, is actually in Big Pine Key - close, but ... And he does seem to know his stuff.
    My mistake, I misread the post and assume the original post was from FL. I spent time in the Keys in the early 80s and the luthier in question was no spring chicken then so I'd be surprised if it was still at it today. He was good though! He had a '56 strat in for set up... best strat I ever laid hands on. As for the location, well it was 40 years ago!

23. The following members say thank you to Ginridge for this post:

Blog Entries

I figgered. But then, I thought - "Someone got something wrong on the interweb? That's never happened before!"

Yeah, probably someone else. This guy is probably in his upper 60s - lower 70s, so wouldn't fit your description from 40 years ago.

Well, I actually had it fixed by a pro at The Guitar Works in Evanston, IL. It cost $130. That’s about what the mandolin cost all those many years ago, but the neck is secure , it’s set-up and plays very nicely. Since I’ve replaced the tail piece, the bridge and the nut, anyone have any recommendations for tuners? Those have kind of sucked all along . I might as well finish the job.
    Thanks to everyone for the input

Ed

These Rubner tuners work well for me and are not expensive.
    https://www.rubnertuners.com/hauser-...ic-2g855-bmrtj

Happy to hear you got it going again, Ed. I guess $130 isn't a crazy amount to spend on sentiment. Worth every penny, I'd say.
    I spend at least that much every time I take a cat to the vet

28. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Ha ha! That is a very true observation, Sue.
    And I wasnÂ’t particularly fond of our cat (IÂ’m kind of afraid of cats)
    So , now with a modest investment
    IÂ’ve got the occasional free moment in the office covered and IÂ’m going to save up for a Pomeroy