Thread: NMD-Eastwood Mandocaster Ltd

Default NMD-Eastwood Mandocaster Ltd

I opted for the metallic green mandocaster. Now, the only other electric instrument I have (ever played) is a cheap lap steel I bought when I was waiting for my first dobro to be built. Can't play that one worth a lick except in GBEgbe. Anyway, at first I was not impressed with the Mandocaster. Although the set up was spot on with no adjustment to intonation needed. It is pretty but just didn't like the somewhat metallic tone (for lack of a better description). I was playing it through my Orange Crush 12L mini amp. I tried my Vox head phone amp as well. I bought this to use for travel because with the headphone amp I assumed it would be quiet to others, plus I figured that humidity changes would not have as great an impact as on an acoustic. I played it for an hour and a half or so....... Kind of thought I may send it back.

Fast forward to today. Got the amp set up a bit better, played around with the 3 way switch on the mandocaster and voila I LIKED IT! Still not the same as my fully acoustic mandolins (but then again - why would it). It sounded best on some Beatle tunes and more modern country rock sort of stuff. I don't sing much so most of what I play is melody. It will definitely get more play than just for travel. I'm pretty happy with it! Would be happy to answer questions for others curious about these too. Love the color. Fit and finish gets a thumbs up too!

Probably more than you care about.....
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Scott For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: NMD-Eastwood Mandocaster Ltd

Mike, That sounds like it would be a lot of fun, and creative options present themselves with that mandocaster. Enjoy it!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Thanks Dan! That Country Boy you got should prove to be an excellent mando. I have only heard great things about them.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

5. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Mike - these electric mandolins appear to be made with any retailer name you want on the headstock and a few variations in the switching etc, but I think the Eastwood ones have the coolest colours. I suspect they might all be from one Chinese factory. I have a Thomann branded (big EU music retailer) 'Harvey Benton' one in very sudden sunburst (but hey, it's cheap). The stock pickups and wiring could be improved, but I think any Strat style pickup fits. That means there are any number of aftermarket pickups that fit including very affordable Chinese made dual rail humbuckers.
    Last edited by maxr; Mar-14-2022 at 7:02am.

7. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Mike, FUN YES! Just wanted to reinforce your comments as my experience is similar to yours except that originally my sole purpose was to play silently unplugged for the benefit of my wife while practicing the same tune at nauseum.
    BUT, then when plugged in I began to discover a whole new experience. For me the electrics will never replace the beautiful sounds of a good acoustic and I find that comparisons with acoustics makes little sense. Two different animals with two different uses and in my mind like comparing a Corvette with a Miata.
    My first electric was an inexpensive "Hot Rodded" Pan Asian that I bought used here in the classifieds. Sound was OK but I wanted something with playability that mimicked that of my acoustics. This resulted in my purchase of a BIG MUDDY em8 solid body.
    I still gravitate to my acoustics but the electric definitely has a place in my arsenal of mandolins and more importantly continues to provide enjoyment.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

9. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post: