Thread: Music for banjo mandolin

Default Music for banjo mandolin

Or mandolin banjo, or banjolin, or etc.

In a current thread sporting a Brahms waltz arranged for mandolin, Martin Jonas's post from 2017 references an arrangement of this waltz for 2 banjo mandolins. This is the first time I have seen printed music specifically for banjo mandolin (IMSLP link). As I've lately been getting down and dirty with my MB4 and an Orpheum No. 3 Special I've just acquired, I have to ask if anyone knows of other scores specifically for banjo mandolin?

Thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Music for banjo mandolin

I have a 1930's Stahl banjolin. It's tuned GDAE, just like standard tuned mandolin or violin. I have no idea what makes sheet music any different for it, except that slurs in fiddle music are different for a mandolin/Banjolin.

The only thing I have in mind with the name banjolin, is the "Methode complete de mandoline ou banjoline" written by Jean Pietrapertosa and found in IMLSP. By the way, it brings quite a lot of sheet music. Another option would be for you to thoroughly review the 'ballo liscio' thread, surely there is some music for the banjolin...although I think the same as Mandobart...but I guess some guru will be able to get us out of doubt...
    Music washes away from the soul the dust of every-day life. Auerbach.
    The rejection of 'the others' is a tragedy of the human being; If it comes from emigrants, an added horror!

5. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post:

Neil Gladd has alerted me to the Method for Banjoline or Mandoline-Banjo of Salvator Léonardi. It's on IMSLP, put there by Michael Reichenbach. This is for the four-stringed banjoline ... as opposed to the eight-string "banjo mandolin" ... or are the eight-string versions called a "mandolin banjo"? Is there standard terminology for these instruments?

7. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post: