Thread: Collings Mandolin Case in Md

Default Collings Mandolin Case in Md

Saw this while checking out craigs list.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...451058488.html
    Early 1954 Gibson F-12
    Lare 1922 Gibson A2 paddlehead
    Late 1963 Gibson A5 Two point
    1950's Stradolin
    ~1918 Weymann Style 30

" Mandolin - good for the mind, good for the body, good for the soul"

Default Re: Collings Mandolin Case in Md

That is the Cedar Creek case, just to clarify. Athough it is an older one, with the really nice latches. $125 is a great deal.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    That is the Cedar Creek case, just to clarify. Athough it is an older one, with the really nice latches. $125 is a great deal.
    Badge says TKL, are they one in the same? If so, how do you differentiate? I have the Collings TKL, both A and F. They are nice, but not unusually so, IMO. Well worth the asking price though, if as described. That one appears to have discolored somewhat, the interior material that is. Latches and badge too. Perhaps it’s just the photos…..

Cedar Creek and TKL are owned by the same company. Discolored or not, these cases were much better than the ones that followed.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Cedar Creek and TKL are owned by the same company. Discolored or not, these cases were much better than the ones that followed.
    Ok, so what exactly differentiates them and makes the Cedar Creek TKL badged cases better than the non-Cedar Creek TKL badged cases? Honestly curious.

The cases from this era badged as "Collings" cases have better hardware. They also don't distort (meaning they don't get out of shape" like the ones with the silver latches.

Around 2010 TKL/Cedar Creek started using different latches, which were silver and there were a lot of issues. I returned two mandolin cases to Collings that came with the silver latches. One was so miss-shaped that there was a half inch between the sides and the bottom of the case. Another, when I went to relatch the case, the latch came apart.

So, the key is the age, not the badge (although that is also a clear indicator of the age of the case also). The one in the ad also has the older interior materials, when they were still using "crushed velvet."

A Collings-made case, if you could find one, would cost you $1500 (which is what I am told is the going rate right now).

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Mojo 

Thanks for those details, much appreciated.

The cases from this era badged as "Collings" cases have better hardware. They also don't distort (meaning they don't get out of shape" like the ones with the silver latches.

Around 2010 TKL/Cedar Creek started using different latches, which were silver and there were a lot of issues. I returned two mandolin cases to Collings that came with the silver latches. One was so miss-shaped that there was a half inch between the sides and the bottom of the case. Another, when I went to relatch the case, the latch came apart.

So, the key is the age, not the badge (although that is also a clear indicator of the age of the case also). The one in the ad also has the older interior materials, when they were still using "crushed velvet."

A Collings-made case, if you could find one, would cost you $1500 (which is what I am told is the going rate right now).
    yikes, I didn't know the Collings made mandolin cases were going for that much!
    Russ Jordan